Is Zero-Carb the 'ultimate' goal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Zero-Carb the 'ultimate' goal?

I realise that for many, myself included, a primal diet is adequate and even optimal. I'm not planning on going Zero-Carb any time soon, as I'm still trying to master the Primal lifestyle to the degree and consistency that I want. However, purely from a health point of view, is going Zero-Carb the ultimate, so to speak?

In other words, are there EXTRA health gains to be had from going Zero-Carb?
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Veggies, leafy greens, fruits & nuts offer needed vitamins, minerals & natural fiber, and are required for optimal health.

Zero Carb is a great way to force your body to burn fat instead of blood sugar created by eating carbs.

The best is Low Carb around 25 to 50 carbs a day.

Grizz

Comment

I just found this page... I guess that answers my question. LOL

Zero Carb Diet | Mark's Daily Apple
      “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

No, zero carb should not be ultimate goal. IMO 50g - 100g carbs a good amount.

Comment

No.

A diet for optimum health means you get all vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and other benefitial things from foods in. This means you eat plenty of good meat, vegetables (this includes root vegetables), sometimes some berry's, some chocolat, etc.

It's silly to completely ignore one macro nutrient (with some exceptions such as extreme obesity). Getting carbs in from real food is not going to hurt 90% of the people.

Comment

Zero carb is foolish and misunderstood if not done right. Heed the words of Mark Sisson in his blog post referenced above. If you want to go zero carb, make sure you're ready to eat the whole animal and not only from one species.

Been there done that. It is nigh impossible to follow a ZC diet for a long time. It is impractical and hard work to get all the nutrients you need. Not to mention if you go and ask for offal at the store they are mostly like "Ewww! No?! What?! Ewwwww!" In other words: You don't get any.

In short - don't do it. You'll find you'll have plenty of more fun with a lowish carb. I thrive around 50 - 100 grams per day. More and I get lazy, less and I start to get cold hands and feet. Around 50 - 70 seems to be my sweet spot. YMMW.
            Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was just wondering because I'm new to all this. I don't have any intention to go ZC.

Sungazer what's the best way to calculate how many grams of carbs you're eating?

Comment

no, it's not the ultimate goal.

the ultimate goal is a healthy, diverse, and biologically sound diet that helps you live a healthy life.

Comment

It depends. It is impossible to get the exact amount, but a nutrition tracker like Track your progress on the Paleo diet - PaleoTrack might be very handy. In my experience if you eat produce only and don't overdo the starchy produce you'll end up at a fairly low carbohydrate amount automagically.

My best advice is to eat a varied diet within the framework of the revised Primal Blueprint food pyramid.
                  Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

I've wondered why those who think zero carb is the goal ignore the "gatherer" part of the "hunter-gatherer" meme. Wasn't what was gathered plants, including roots, tubers, also maybe gathered eggs etc ?

Comment

Going close to zero carb may help with weight loss for many, but I just don't see the point once you're at a healthy weight. And I've seen on these boards that some people, especially women and athletes, tend to better with a few more carbs anyway.

Zero carbs also means missing out on a lot of nutrients, and in the short run that could be okay, but not over the long haul.
                      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                        no, it's not the ultimate goal.

the ultimate goal is a healthy, diverse, and biologically sound diet that helps you live a healthy life.
                        This is the answer you're looking for.

Ideal carbohydrate intake is somewhat individualized, and varies in particular with regard to activity level. If you're engaging in significant physical activity(running, lifting, etc.) being too low on carbohydrates can be detrimental to your recovery and performance. This doesn't mean eating 5 pounds of rice a day, but I've found better results from throwing a pretty large sweet potato in with dinner on many days when I work out.

In general, higher activity levels = higher carbohydrate intake, but it's something to play with and see what works best for you.

Comment

OK, I can understand the weight loss aspect. So it's a short term thing, if at all, for folks who wanna lose some weight. Perhaps if they've plateaued?

So what happens if you overeat on Primal, (not necessarily carbs, but meats, eggs, cheese, etc) can you be Primal and become being overweight or even obese?

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                            OK, I can understand the weight loss aspect. So it's a short term thing, if at all, for folks who wanna lose some weight. Perhaps if they've plateaued?

So what happens if you overeat on Primal, (not necessarily carbs, but meats, eggs, cheese, etc) can you be Primal and become being overweight or even obese?
                            Highly unlikely you could become overweight. Once the endocrine system corrects itself after eliminating all the bad foods, it's really difficult to overeat because a healthy body regulates appetite. Eating protein and fat stimulate hormone secretion (Leptin, Ghrelin) better than carbohydrates, so overeating meat and eggs once you're healthy would be even more difficult.

Comment

Uh, trying for 3 months to get as close to zero carb as possible gave me/exacerbated hypothyroidism. I definitely do not recommend it unless you know exactly how your body is going to react and you are prepared for a mental, physical, and emotional roller coaster. Instead of going into ketosis, my hormones have signaled to my body to quit burning fat. Low Carb is not a one size fits all....and I wish I knew that 4 months ago. Despite eating at a caloric deficit, 95% primal, no grains/dairy/rice/starch/sugar, I have barely lost any weight.
                              Last edited by CoS; 11-05-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X