Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can one get in Great shape without Grass Fed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one get in Great shape without Grass Fed?

This may seem like a stupid question to some but it has actually caused great consternation for me.

I am currently in a very poor financial situation which will probably last for the next year or so. While I have seen some great strides form where I was on Primal I am concerned that I will never be in truly great shape unless I can afford grass fed meats and various organic extras.

Is this true? Is it impossible to get a six pack and live 90 years without buying grass fed meats?

My current monthly meat plan is normally like this. All these groceries are bought from your average industrial store.

Chicken Thighs - 10 lbs
    Ground beef - 15 lbs
    Onions - 5 lbs
    Sweet potatoes - 3 lbs
    Canned tomatoes - 10 cans
    Coconut Milk - 3 cans
    Coconut Oil - 1 jar
    Fish Oil Supplement

If I time my purchases right I can get out of the store for just under $80... which is about the upper limit I can afford to spend on food per month. I've tried looking into CSAs and various Grass Fed Farms around the area but they are either too expensive, or I don't have the space in my studio apartment for 1/4 of a cow, or they are sold out.

I am very eager to get into amazing six pack shape - will I kill myself if I keep eating like this?

Of course you can get a six pack without eating grass-fed. And you could easily live to 90 too, maybe if you spent more on grass-fed you'd live to 99, who knows? Or you could eat grass-fed and get hit by a bus next week, there are no guarantees. The point is, you do what you can afford-if you're buying grain-fed, just get leaner cuts and/or don't eat the fat. I choose to pay the grocer, rather than the doctor, but that's just me, and I understand that some people simply can't afford it.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I kind of weaned myself off industrial chicken. I've read where it contains like 10 times the 06 as compared to industrial beef. Look into some of the cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak, or buy cheap roasts and cook them in the slow cooker.

Also, looking at your food list, you should seriously consider getting some calf liver or heart, and some canned wild salmon or sardines.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
          I kind of weaned myself off industrial chicken. I've read where it contains like 10 times the 06 as compared to industrial beef. Look into some of the cheaper cuts of beef like skirt steak, or buy cheap roasts and cook them in the slow cooker.

Also, looking at your food list, you should seriously consider getting some calf liver or heart, and some canned wild salmon or sardines.
          Yes to all of this.

I personally think it's worth it to eat grassfed, but it's not the only thing.

You'll do fine.

And yes, chicken is nasty.

Comment

Dualhammers, your name is beyond awesome.

Grass fed beef is nice, but not necessary. On a budget, I would focus my limited resources on high quality eggs from the farmer's market. Huge bang for your buck there and much more nutritious than actual chicken meat. A wise person in another thread also suggested buying grain-fed beef, but cooking it in grass-fed butter, such as Kerrygold. That's almost as good as grass-fed itself.

Mind the canned tomatoes, though, as the acid in tomatoes can liberate BPA from the can lining. If you have the opportunity to go fresh, or with a can that does not have BPA (some do exist), that would be better.

Bon appetit. As for training up to a six-pack, don't forget squats, deadlifts, and sledgehammers.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
              As for training up to a six-pack, don't forget squats, deadlifts, and sledgehammers.
              and sprints... lots of sprints.
              "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
              - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

Calorie deficit.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                  Yes to all of this.

I personally think it's worth it to eat grassfed, but it's not the only thing.

You'll do fine.

And yes, chicken is nasty.
                  +1
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

You can get in great shape without "organic" or "grass-fed", which I maintain is, for the most part, a giant scam.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
                      You can get in great shape without "organic" or "grass-fed", which I maintain is, for the most part, a giant scam.
                      The marketing terms, yes. The concepts, no.
                      Lifting Journal

Comment

Well, all men must die, but not all really live That being said, ideally, we would be buying organic, grassfed beef, pastured pork and chicken, and wild caught fish. But, that is not always possible, due to a wide variety of factors (local suppliers, household budget, seasonal availability, etc.). I think the common mindset is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. In plain speak, try to follow the plan (be it the primal blueprint or the version of it that works for you) and try to do the best you can with the resources you have. Also, try to enjoy the food you get, and don't get something that you hate just because it is 'healthy'.

As a side note, I am sort of surprised that you don't have eggs on your list, as they are fairly cheap and clock full of good nutrients.
                        turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Comment

Originally posted by Grafter View Post
                          \ I think the common mindset is don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

As a side note, I am sort of surprised that you don't have eggs on your list, as they are fairly cheap and clock full of good nutrients.
                          Yes.

And yes.

Grassfed tastes better to me, and I differentiate between my grass fed farmers on the basis of taste. I've been buying from various farmers for over a year now (about the same price as "organic" or cheaper and often the same price as middle class groceries) and I find that I feel better eating grass fed. Meh.

It's not necessary though. Lowering carbs on it's own will help with weight loss.

Eggs are an excellent suggestion. Quality eggs, grass fed butter, and high quality fish ("SMASH" fish salmon, mackerel anchovies sardines and herring) will go a long way and won't cost you as much.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post

Where did you read this?

I'd love to have it to show to folks who are interested.

Also organ meats are cheap, and very nutritious.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                              Where did you read this?

I'd love to have it to show to folks who are interested.
                              Read this, from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2846864/: Grass-fed beef tends to be lower in overall fat content, an important consideration for those consumers interested in decreasing overall fat consumption. Because of these differences in FA content, grass-fed beef also possesses a distinct grass flavor and unique cooking qualities that should be considered when making the transition from grain-fed beef. To maximize the favorable lipid profile and to guarantee the elevated antioxidant content, animals should be finished on 100% grass or pasture-based diets.

Grain-fed beef consumers may achieve similar intakes of both n-3 and CLA through consumption of higher fat portions with higher overall palatability scores. A number of clinical studies have shown that today's lean beef, regardless of feeding strategy, can be used interchangeably with fish or skinless chicken to reduce serum cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic patients.

I'm still trying to find something on chicken vs beef ratios.

Comment

Working...
                              X