Pheasant - how sad!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pheasant - how sad!

I was given a pheasant yesterday by a friend who had "bagged it" on a pheasant shoot. Plucked, but not drawn.

Wow! I thought - wild game - must be great; all the right omega 3 6 balance etc. Then I came to remove the bird's guts etc. What did I find - the crop full of wheat grain.

It looks lovely - but now I feel sad and cheated - a grain fed game bird! Are all UK pheasants fed on grain??!!

Um. Pretty sure birds are actually supposed to eat grains and seeds, in addition to grass and bugs.

Comment

yes...that is what they eat...

Comment

Eat him and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!! just watch out for any shot left... Chipped tooth is no good.

Comment

Pheasants, like chickens, will eat damned near anything they can get their beaks on.

No worries.

Comment

Hooray highschool biology!
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Thanks for the positive (for the pheasant!) responses. I shall enjoy him much more now!

Comment

I thought chickens were sole grain eaters, due the proverbial picture in my head of the kindly farmer ('s wife/daughter,etc) out among the clucking chickens tossing seeds about, as though it were the ONLY thing chickens COULD eat. I've since learned different.
                But when I see packaged chicken with the words "grain fed" on it, I think how those chickens must have missed the other things their bodies needed to be healthy.

Comment

That's like complaining that a cow's stomach is full of grass....it's called the food chain.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by Kimelah View Post
                    I thought chickens were sole grain eaters, due the proverbial picture in my head of the kindly farmer ('s wife/daughter,etc) out among the clucking chickens tossing seeds about, as though it were the ONLY thing chickens COULD eat. I've since learned different.
                    But when I see packaged chicken with the words "grain fed" on it, I think how those chickens must have missed the other things their bodies needed to be healthy.
                    same for me, until i started to buy my eggs from farmers market, i was like are ur chickens free range and all that. she said yes they roam around eating bugs and grains. i was like bugs? lol
                    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
                    started @400+pounds
                    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
                    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
                    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

chickens eat everything, they're only one step down from goats
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

Chickens will eat other chickens. Growing up on a farm, when we were killing the meat birds, the still live ones would eat the heads/brains/guts of the dead ones...they would fight over it!

Comment

as a kid, i fed our 4-h required chickens leftover fried chicken and watched them shred the leftovers like this ; O.O cannibals!
                          beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

eeek! that reminds me of when i "saved" 2 crawfish from a boil & kept them in an aquarium for entertainment (mostly the cat's). One of them died. I swear, it only took a day for the other one to eat it. I swear, it was fast.

and then that story invitably reminds me of another one - I knew a guy who told me he had a friend who wouldn't eat crabs any more after seeing a dead body getting fished out of a bayou - it was covered in crabs!

i only know about the crawfish story for sure.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's the bugs my chickens eat that make the yolks of their eggs a bright orange yellow. Birds are omnivores (hello, the early bird gets the worm, remember?). Seeing eggs or chickens in the grocery store marketed as "vegetarian-fed" makes me sad. My chickens also LOVE oily fish, so they get regular treats of anchovies and other canned fish.
                              My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Working...
                              X