Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil - violent vomiting??!!

hey guys,

so i am currently at the end of a very strange day! after breakfast, which consisted of eggs, bacon and a shake with protein powder, water, banana and coconut oil, i started to feel REALLY nauseous, and then was vomiting for a couple of hours. had to take the day off work!

i have heard that coconut oil can make some people feel a bit crappy but could this have caused my vomiting?! anyone else experienced anything similar?

If I was vomiting for a couple of hours, I would be thinking more along the lines of the stomach flu. If I vomited once then I would perhaps consider that my body had something it didn't like then got rid of it.

That's not based on research though... probably a bit of CW creeping in.

Hope you feel better.

Comment

Did you have a lot of coconut oil in your shake? Because I once had about a cup of coconut milk and ended up feeling sick and vomiting for a day because it was too much fat at once. Maybe you were sick for the same reason... :S

Comment

it was probably about 4-5 tablespoons. the vomiting has stopped but still feel rough. well whatever happens, i will stick to just very small amounts in the future! rough day!!!

Comment

You definitely put to much.

The first time I tried coconut oil, I had a big spoonful... Same outcome as you. After that, I first began cooking with it, then adding tiny amounts onto food, and now I can eat as much of it as I want without any negative effects.

Comment

Yeah, that was too much fat in one sitting. Spread the coconut oil throughout the day if you really want to have that much, and maybe don't have it with bacon and eggs-or just have a small amount.
            $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Idk about the rest of you guys, but if I followed bacon and eggs with a shake I'd puke too, even if it didn't have coconut oil.
              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Whoa! That's a whole lot of coconut oil!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tommyho1 View Post
                  it was probably about 4-5 tablespoons. the vomiting has stopped but still feel rough. well whatever happens, i will stick to just very small amounts in the future! rough day!!!
                  This is excessively too much-especially at one meal. Plus, then there is the added fat from the eggs and bacon, too! More isn't better just because it's healthy.

Comment

68g of fat worth of coconut oil...in a shake? That's an extreme amount of coconut oil. Even if Grok came across a coconut tree, he'd have trouble eating all that coconut fat because of the amount of work it takes to eat a whole coconut. There's no need to drink coconut oil unless you have some kind of candida issue, and even that's way too much. Guys, fat is truly a great way to fuel your body because it creates less free radicals than burning sugar, so it's definitely the "healthier" way to go in terms of longevity, but that doesn't mean to drink straight fat. Just like there was no refined sugar in Grok's time, there were no oils, either. Why people guzzle oil to boost fat intake is beyond me. How are you going to burn stored fat when you're eating over 600 calories worth of straight fat? And why would you add straight fat to a protein shake to begin with? Fat slows down your body's ability to digest protein, so if this is a post-workout meal, you want to keep things low fat. Your body's reacting poorly because you're eating something completely unnatural that you would never normally eat.

I'm going to take the opposite route, here. I don't care if coconut oil is popular, it's not a food. It's a processed, refined cooking aid. It's not meant to be digested straight. Unless you have gut candida that you're trying to kill naturally with lauric acid, stop eating coconut oil. It's not a whole food, so don't treat it like one. You wouldn't take a spoon to a bag of sugar, so why would you take it to a tub of oil? Add a teaspoon to a hot pan to cook your eggs in and put the tub away.
                    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-03-2011, 06:19 AM.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Not only is that amount of fat excessive, if you do have candida issues, eating that much of an anti fungal like coconut oil can cause a massive die off/detox reaction. Up your coconut oil SLOWLY!

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
                        Not only is that amount of fat excessive, if you do have candida issues, eating that much of an anti fungal like coconut oil can cause a massive die off/detox reaction. Up your coconut oil SLOWLY!
                        I agree. I just got my first jar of CO today and I am going to eat a teaspoon of it daily for a week before I add another teaspoon. I would like to work up to 2 or 3 tabspoons daily.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                          Idk about the rest of you guys, but if I followed bacon and eggs with a shake I'd puke too, even if it didn't have coconut oil.
                          this is what i, and im sure many others, have everyday for breakfast. really not that much food when you work out the nutrition of it.

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          68g of fat worth of coconut oil...in a shake? That's an extreme amount of coconut oil. Even if Grok came across a coconut tree, he'd have trouble eating all that coconut fat because of the amount of work it takes to eat a whole coconut. There's no need to drink coconut oil unless you have some kind of candida issue, and even that's way too much. Guys, fat is truly a great way to fuel your body because it creates less free radicals than burning sugar, so it's definitely the "healthier" way to go in terms of longevity, but that doesn't mean to drink straight fat. Just like there was no refined sugar in Grok's time, there were no oils, either. Why people guzzle oil to boost fat intake is beyond me. How are you going to burn stored fat when you're eating over 600 calories worth of straight fat? And why would you add straight fat to a protein shake to begin with? Fat slows down your body's ability to digest protein, so if this is a post-workout meal, you want to keep things low fat. Your body's reacting poorly because you're eating something completely unnatural that you would never normally eat.

I'm going to take the opposite route, here. I don't care if coconut oil is popular, it's not a food. It's a processed, refined cooking aid. It's not meant to be digested straight. Unless you have gut candida that you're trying to kill naturally with lauric acid, stop eating coconut oil. It's not a whole food, so don't treat it like one. You wouldn't take a spoon to a bag of sugar, so why would you take it to a tub of oil? Add a teaspoon to a hot pan to cook your eggs in and put the tub away.
                          68G? where did that number come from? s@it i would have been in a bad way yesterday if i had eaten that much!

Originally posted by canadianwoman View Post
                          I agree. I just got my first jar of CO today and I am going to eat a teaspoon of it daily for a week before I add another teaspoon. I would like to work up to 2 or 3 tabspoons daily.
                          this sounds like a good idea to me - i am going to persist with the coconut oil but only in really small doses and work my way up.

Comment

For those who have issues with coconut oil, perhaps try other sources of coconut fat? I like coconut, but the oil's probably the least palatable part IMO. Either coconut milk or something like creamed coconut/coconut manna/etc... that's more 'whole', with at least some of the protein/fibre/carbs remaining might be better for your stomach

Maybe unsweetened coconut shreds in some sort of primal baked goods/pancakes/etc...?

68G? where did that number come from? s@it i would have been in a bad way yesterday if i had eaten that much!
                            5 tbsp = ~70 grams, 14g per tablespoon
                            did you mean teaspoons?
                            Last edited by Fury; 11-03-2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

That's what you said.

it was probably about 4-5 tablespoons.
                              There are 13.6g of fat in a tablespoon of oil. 13.6*5 = 68g. There are 9 calories in one gram of fat, so that's 612 calories. You drank 1,000+ empty liquid calories with no satiating effect with nearly all of it being processed oil and protein. I want to throw up just thinking about what you're doing to your body doing that. You could have eaten an entire dozen eggs and came in at less calories than an empty shake, and you would have ingested tons of nutrition at least and been full for at least 6 hours. Unless you have gut candida, I can't stress this enough - stop eating coconut oil.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X