"Grassfed. Vegetarian Fed." WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Grassfed. Vegetarian Fed." WTF?

Ok, so recently I've been shopping at whole foods and at first I was super excited because I found some "grassfed" lamb patties and such. However, upon further reading the labels, it says "grassfed" -skip to next line- "vegetarian fed." So in my mind as I'm reading this I'm thinking how can they be grassfed, but receive vegetarian feed? Isn't this false labeling or something? And this isn't just lamb patties, it's on several different cuts and products. Any thoughts?
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

I'd say they're probably fine. They probably stick that on there just to let people know that the lambs aren't eating any animal by-products like bonemeal or something crazy like that.

Comment

Ground up vegetarians fed to livestock should not overly raise the omega-6 levels in the meat so you're probably in the clear.

Comment

Maybe "grass fed - vegetarian fed" is wholefoods for "grass fed - grain finished" ??

At other supermarkets they proudly sell grain fed beef, because nobody knows that cows eat grass. I'm totally serious, I'm convinced most people have no idea what cows actually eat.
        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Many American lamb producers try to get the best of both worlds: the cache of 100% pastured, and the quicker fattening (and lower expense) from vegetarian feed (read: corn, soy).

If it says vegetarian fed, I would avoid in favor of 100% grassfed, unless you really are having a hard time finding the good stuff.

Comment

Grass is vegetarian... Maybe they're just specifying that.

Comment

Grass is totes vegan.

(pet peeve: when everything that isn't meat is labeled vegan it drives me insane, fruit isn't vegan, it's just fruit)

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                At other supermarkets they proudly sell grain fed beef, because nobody knows that cows eat grass. I'm totally serious, I'm convinced most people have no idea what cows actually eat.
                Oh, at my supermarket, they proudly announce their beef is not just grain fed, it's CORN FED. Like it's a good thing. sheesh!

Comment

Maybe "grass fed - vegetarian fed" is wholefoods for "grass fed - grain finished" ??

bahahhaha same here, they promote their midwestern corn raised beef....oyyyyy hahah

fwiw, the chickens i buy are vegans lol. i dont know what that means but there isnt anything injected in them solution-wise like the other chickens
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'm pretty sure that grass fed has to be grass fed. Putting veggie fed on there includes grass fed. As someone else stated, I think they just want people who are walking around not knowing what grass fed means to know that they're noteating animal by products.

Comment

Grass is totes vegan.

(pet peeve: when everything that isn't meat is labeled vegan it drives me insane, fruit isn't vegan, it's just fruit)
                      lol it bugs me when fruit is labeled ''fat free'' xD its like seriously???

Comment

Ok, I didn't know if this was some trick they were using to get the best of both worlds (the vegans and the grass fed lovers, like us). I loath shopping for eggs because all I see is "vegetarian diet." On the plus side though, the pastured eggs are always almost sold out, so some people must be on the right track lol. @ Iniquity, I'm pretty sure people think everything on earth eats bread and corn. Because, you know, they couldn't be healthy without it -__-
                        && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

Comment

Originally posted by JennaRose View Post
                          lol it bugs me when fruit is labeled ''fat free'' xD its like seriously???
                          Wow that is a new low I have not come across. Pretty amazing.

Comment

I'd ask the workers in the WF meat department about the labeling. In my experience, they're amazingly well-versed about thier products.

Comment

I talk to the butchers at Whole Foods all the time and asked them to specify. Basically all of their beef/lamb start out grass fed. But some are grain finished with an organic vegetarian feed. Unless the label says 100% grass fed, then it is not guaranteed to be grass finished. So look for 100% grass fed if that is what you are specifically looking for. Good thing is whether it is 100% grass fed or grass fed with a grain finish, all of their meat/poultry are free from hormones/antibiotics.
                              "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Working...
                              X