What to do about FH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do about FH?

My cholesterol has been steadily climbing over the past 9 months of Primal living. TC has gone from 269 to 317 to 374. LDL has gone from 195 to 290. My triglycerides are good (~60). My VAP test results showed pattern A LDL.

I have asked several people on different forums if they would be concerned about this. Most people, even those who doubt the Lipid Hypothesis of heart disease, said it should be checked out. Chris Kresser told me I should be checked for Familial Hypercholesterolemia. I have not been screened yet, but I plan to be in the near future.

Question for the good folks of MDA..... What would the Primal protocol be for treating FH? The sources I can find all say avoid saturated fats, take statins, whole grains, etc. That doesn't mesh with the Primal outlook. Is this my only option, if indeed I do have FH? Does anyone here have personal experience in dealing with this condition?

Archevore - Archevore Blog - A quick post on FH and*statins
    Archevore - Archevore Blog - Statins and the Cholesterol Hypothesis

Comment

I have read both of those (and many other articles) from top to bottom. Being Primal I follow his recommendations, almost to the letter. He gets to the end and says.....

"So what if you have FH? Are the recommendations different?

More discussion in the next post."

For the life of me I can't find that next post.

Comment

I'm right there with you. Total cholesterol went from 250 to 500, LDL 210 to 400. I also am pattern A, but it's little consolation with my LDL that high. I'm still waiting for that post on FH from Dr. Harris, cause I have no idea what to do. Right now, I'm trying to limit all dairy to see what effect that has. I've also added potatos and white rice to displace some of the saturated fat that I was eating. How is one tested for FH?

Comment

I think it's a genetic test. It's caused by a defect on chromosome 19. What it costs or how exactly to go about getting tested, I don't know.

Comment

The genetic test for FH is quite expensive .

In heterozygous FH , the LDL C receptors are not all functional and the LDL C just floats around, more prone to oxydation ...

Dr Jack Kruse mentioned the use of T3 and vitamin A to get cholesterol down.

FH = Leptin resistance ?

Comment

5/9/12 test results:

TC 349
              Trigs 60
              LDL 276
              HDL 61

Not sure what to do next.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalIllini View Post
                5/9/12 test results:

TC 349
                Trigs 60
                LDL 276
                HDL 61

If you're that concerned about cholesterol, get a VAP test to get particle sizes measured. Otherwise, get your other metabolic markers checked and don't sweat it.

Medical Tests Recommended by Dr. Ron Rosedale | Sam Snyder

Comment

What is the outcome for people with FH? Do they end up with more heart disease than others? Do they die sooner than others?

I thought I would look it up. It seems from this article that FH means REALLY high cholesterol and VERY early heart problems. Do you really have anything to worry about after reading this? I mean, is this you? My mom has cholesterol in the 400s and my grandmother did too. Mine was 268 last time I looked. There's no heart disease at all in my family. We might have high cholesterol but we don't have this:
                  Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia - Clinical outcome of patients with familial hypercholesterolemia and coronary artery disease undergoing partial ileal bypass surgery
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I had a VAP test last summer. I have mostly pattern A LDL. I know all the ins and outs of the holes in the Lipid Hypothesis, but it's way easier to sit back and throw rocks at it when they other guy has sky high cholesterol.

Comment

My LDL went up too.

2010 2012
                      265lbs 230lbs
                      total 198 233
                      LDL 121 163
                      HDL 50 53
                      Trig 136 86

Everything went the "right" way except LDL. But, I already don't believe what CW is saying about what to eat and I have decided that I don't believe what it says about where your blodd work numbers are "supposed" to be. I am healthier and feel better at 45 and 226 than I ever felt when I ate "healthy" and had "good" cholesterol numbers and weighed 274 lbs and was getting to the point where I couldn't move.

8 months of primal, -48 lbs, can do squats because my knees work now, went from 6-8 push ups to 40+, went from -0 pull ups to 2, went from can't run to actually wanting to run sprints a couple of times a month, went from walking as little as possible to walking 2-4 miles 4-5 times per week. Arthritis mostly gone, allergies much better, heartburn gone, indigestion and gas gone, middle of the night bathroom trips mostly gone, skin problems gone, falling asleep on the couch gone (well, mostly:-)).

I'll take a high LDL number and assume that my body is doing whatever it needs to do to be healthy.

Comment

Cholesterol is used for making and repairing cell walls, making hormones and things like vitamin D, and a whole host of other good thing. Having "sky high" cholesterol for a man in his sixties who as already had a heart attack is a sign that he might have another, because he is having to produce a lot of cholesterol to do massive repairs to keep himself alive. Anyone else, including all women, cholesterol is associated with good health and longevity.

Unless you are ill already you do not need to check the contents of your blood. Unfortunately it has become the modern equivalent of Bodily Humours, so instead of using leaches to bleed off blood, they use toxins to reduce cholesterol, which can only cause you harm. Stay away from quacks if you aren't ill.

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalIllini View Post
                          5/9/12 test results:

TC 349
                          Trigs 60
                          LDL 276
                          HDL 61

Well, that's obvious. Throw it in the bin and buy a kettlebell!

Comment

Peter Attia at waroninsulin.com is currently doing a series on cholesterol, you should check it out. It has been pretty great so far, but he has more to post in the coming weeks. He states that LDL particle number is the key in determining risk, and NMR test is the only reliable test to get the particle count (LDL-P). My NMR test showed a very high LDL particle count, so I'm pretty worried. I asked him a question in the comments about FH, and he said statins are definitely needed in FH cases. I'm starting to think that the only people that should take statins are people that have had a heart attack, and people with FH. Not cool, because I really don't want to take that crap. I'm still pretty young, so I'm holding out for a better understanding before taking any medication.

Comment

I have a friend who was in great physical shape but diagnosed with FH 30 years ago (his father died of a heart attack at age 37). If you actually have FH, there's nothing that you can do with diet that will improve cholesterol significantly because your body is producing the excess due to a genetic problem.

Statins were developed for those with FH, and my friend has been 'on' them for the past 30 years with no ill effects, and he's in his early 60s now and in great health.

The problem with statins is that Big Pharma, having invested in their development for a relatively small market, subsequently began 'brainwashing' doctors to prescribe them the everyone. If you don't have FH, don't take statins!

Comment

Working...
                              X