Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad stomach from eating processed grains (worse than b4 going Primal)??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad stomach from eating processed grains (worse than b4 going Primal)??

Has anyone else found that if you've been eating Primal for a while and then you have a day or a weekend or a holiday where you just don't bother and eat what you want for that given period, that your bodies tolerance levels are lower and you really can't handle it that as much as you used to?
    I'm talking feeling really bloated and over full, indigestion, bad wind etc etc.

Yes, absolutely, I have found this.

Comment

I don't visit as often as I used to but I was going to post the same exact question and you beat me to it.

For me, it brings great chest pain too. Takes a couple days to clean out and feel great again so I don't cheat very often. I have a 24 hr binge every now and again where even now I limit it to minimal grains.

Comment

I feel very sick like I want to puke if I eat too much sugar/grains together. (ie brownie). I used to be able to gobble up at least 5-6 without an issue. I like it cause it keeps me away from that stuff.
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I think sensitivity to these foods is somewhat of a good sign. To be able to better handle these foods, our digestive systems must have changed in some abnormal way that then negatively affected the rest of our digestion. I imagine something like the walls of our intestines becoming thicker/scarred to be able to handle the toxins better, but this in turn causes poor nutrient absorption. Know what I mean?
          Last edited by Bosnic; 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that was my worry really. Is it good or bad to feel like that if you have a binge? Or has something gone wrong from eating 'Primally' that even if I wanted to to I couldn't go back to a usual western diet?

Comment

I definitely wouldn't worry about it. Focus on cutting grains out completely.

The negative side effects from grains aren't a sign of worsened health. I mean, what are you going to do? Begin eating grains for the sole purpose of being able to digest them better? That's backwards logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny B View Post
                Yeah, that was my worry really. Is it good or bad to feel like that if you have a binge? Or has something gone wrong from eating 'Primally' that even if I wanted to to I couldn't go back to a usual western diet?
                No, like Bosnic says, it's a good thing. Your system was happy to be rid of the excessive workload the SAD brings, and it is now lazy to do such menial work.

It has graduated with an engineering degree and now you ask it to go back to working the counter at the bagel shop.

I have worked at the bagel shop, both in the diet sense and in reality. I do not wish this on anyone.

Comment

Nothing has gone wrong. Your body has gone right.

Comment

That's what you get from eating birdseeds. It's to teach you that you shouldn't touch that shit.
                    The first time you smoke a sigarette, it sucked bad, too, similarly to when you first drank in excess.
                    You're body will build up tolerances to these things if you do them often. When you stop doing them, you're tolerances will disappear, which is a good thing, so you'll know what's bad for you.
                    Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Also, I think that all the time we were eating junk, we didn't really notice how bad we felt because it was just so normal. Now there is a new and improved normal.

Comment

I noticed now that I cannot even eat brown rice anymore .... I get bloating and stomach pain all night. I figured it was the phytates, so I switched to just white rice, as Mark mentions in PB, when I need some extra carbs, and it was fine. Whole grains actually seem to trouble my stomach worse now than "white" versions. It's very disconcerting at first, since I still sometimes got stuck back in the old CW mindset, but I feel SO much better overall that I'd rather just cut these foods out forever than ever go back to carb addiction!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          Also, I think that all the time we were eating junk, we didn't really notice how bad we felt because it was just so normal. Now there is a new and improved normal.
                          This is a part of it for sure. However, there is definitely an increased sensitivity in a lot cases as well. For instance I had a binge on my birthday weekend, and I actually vomited from eating an amount of sugar/grains that, while it would not have been an ordinary intake in the Bad Old Days, would have not been rare either, and would certainly not have caused such an *ahem* violent reaction.
                          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

It's a chicken egg thing. I am much more sensitive to sweeteners and grains than I was before. I'm adding in more carby veg very slowly so far no reaction. I still have potatoes/sweet potatoes every two weeks. Added back cooked apples etc.

I almost vomited when I tried having orbit chewing gum the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                              This is a part of it for sure. However, there is definitely an increased sensitivity in a lot cases as well. For instance I had a binge on my birthday weekend, and I actually vomited from eating an amount of sugar/grains that, while it would not have been an ordinary intake in the Bad Old Days, would have not been rare either, and would certainly not have caused such an *ahem* violent reaction.
                              Yikes. I guess I've never really gone on that bad of a "bender" with SAD foods to try it out. They don't hold any appeal for me. I never really ate them much even before going PB. I was the CW form of health conscious back then e.g. tofu stirfrys with brown rice.

Comment

Working...
                              X