Canned Solid White Tuna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned Solid White Tuna

I'm day 3 into The PB and I'm already starting to feel better! I went to the grocery store yesterday and was going to buy some solid white canned tuna in water. I started reading the ingredients on the label and I ended up leaving the store with no tuna. I was really confused!

Of the 3 brands that were available, ALL of them had SOY as an ingredient. I've been staying away from ALL soy products as of lately, because soy is one of the most highly GMO'ed products out there besides corn. I haven't really read the label on tuna, because I always thought it was just tuna packed in water. Does anyone else eat canned tuna? Or is there a brand that doesn't use soy?

I started to reach for a can of smoked oysters instead, and those are packed in another highly GMO'ed oil, cottonseed.

wow, i eat canned tuna and smoked oysters. no soy or cottonseed oil in either. trader joe's!

but even at von's you can get tuna without soy... oysters might be trickier. look carefully.

Comment

The 5 brands available here all have sunflower oil in them. I just buy tuna in spring water.

Comment

At least a couple of the name brands have something called 'very low sodium' tuna- and these cans have nothing but tuna and water. You just have to hunt for them in the aisle.

Comment

Buy the ones that only have tuna, water/olive oil and salt as the ingredients.

Comment

fresh and easy brand has one that's just tuna olive oil and salt.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
              wow, i eat canned tuna and smoked oysters. no soy or cottonseed oil in either. trader joe's!

but even at von's you can get tuna without soy... oysters might be trickier. look carefully.
              The nearest Trader Joe's is about 90 miles away from where I am. We're pretty rural out here. What brand of smoked oysters and tuna do you buy? Chicken of the Sea, Starkist and Bumble Bee tuna all have soy listed in the ingredients. The only smoked oysters carried in this area is Geisha and those oysters are floating around in cottonseed oil. So, I'm kinda stuck unless I wanna make a day run for special items at Trader Joe's!

Comment

Wild Planet has terrific albacore. Soy-free.
                F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

I have to get mine on my stores' dollar isle. I think the brand is Polar, so not a name brand. There is also some from Starkist that is just tuna, olive oil salt. I only saw it at Publix though, not at my local store.

Just keep searching.
                  Jodie~ Wife, Mother of two(7yrDD and 4yrDS), Home birthing,Homeschooling, Keeping Chickens in my backyard, and Getting Healthier!
                  Our family has gone primal.

Comment

You can also get canned wild caught sockeye salmon. Highly recommended.

Comment

I bought a can of mackerel last week, forgot about it, and today I am finishing my 40 hour fast at noon, I open the closet, BOOM IT'S THERE, THE FISH IN THE RED CAN, WITH NO SOY.

Comment

Yeah, I almost never eat tuna anymore -- to my tastes now, it's super dry and kind of bland compared to salmon. Fresh wild-caught anything, canned skip jack (always wild-caught IIRC), salmon, sardines. Everything with skin and bones.

Good on ya for reading the labels, and good luck!
                        "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                        "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                        If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

But what of the mackerel? Does the community condone this fish?

DO THE PEOPLE SUPPORT THE MACKEREL FISH??

Comment

I looked at olives packed in sunflower oil last week. It boggles the mind, like cottonseed oil in peanut butter.
                            Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Parrothead View Post
                              The nearest Trader Joe's is about 90 miles away from where I am. We're pretty rural out here. What brand of smoked oysters and tuna do you buy? Chicken of the Sea, Starkist and Bumble Bee tuna all have soy listed in the ingredients. The only smoked oysters carried in this area is Geisha and those oysters are floating around in cottonseed oil. So, I'm kinda stuck unless I wanna make a day run for special items at Trader Joe's!
                              wow that sounds like suck! where you living?

Comment

Working...
                              X