No announcement yet.

Leptin Resistance Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leptin resistance is speculated that fructose is the culprit. Secondly, lectins are seen to play a role. I'm sure this study has been seen by most here but - here it is: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6823/5/10

Comment

@writer, I appreciate your input here, but why so vague? I'll take what you say at face value. But what is the treatment? Injections? Blinking one's eyes?

Comment

@awriter - thank you so very much for all the information - and given your endorsement of the site, I will take a look... I've had bad experiences with the Yahoo boards, I guess the negative feelings still linger...

I'm with OTB, though, what does the treatment consist of, actually...

I also have a great endo and as part of my meds, she prescribes me a T-3 compound, which is just that T-3 - we just doubled it 6 weeks ago and I will get my new blood results on Monday - hopefully Ms. Thyroid will have been receptive to the new T-3 dosage...

Much thanks!

Comment

awriter - from studies I've seen leptin resistance was overcome & sensitivity reclaimed, as in typeII diabetes.

Comment

osa007, that's the premise of Rosedale and the authors of Mastering Leptin, that it can be reversed. The resistance, that is.

Perhaps it is a matter of degree, too. Or personal variability, lord knows we here know that we are not genetic cookie cutters.

Like kebecgirl says, I have an off flavor of Yahoo boards. It seems like I either got inundated on matters I only had a passing interest in, or it was incredible spam and/or email address harvesting, somehow.

For the same reason I don't do Twitter or Facebook, I don't want computers to run my life. Although sometimes we wrestle to the mat!

Comment

OTB - I don't 'do' networking sites, this is one of two forums I post in. I don't own a TV, etc. Not big on pop culture.

Anyway - awriter's tone sounds like someone leading up to try & sell you something....I could be wrong. We'll see what awriter's information is.

Lectins apparently are the culprit for binding & disrupting leptin. It has a dietary cause - now, perhaps awriter thinks there is a genetic & dietary cause of leptin resistance a la diabetes - type I and II - one genetic another dietary....perhaps...

Comment

I don't think awriter is selling anything other than her passion on the subject and the Yahoo group that she moderates.

I went over and joined as I'm interested in knowledge on the subject. I have yet to spend any time harvesting info over there but only due to a shortage of time at the moment.

Perhaps those with info on the Rosedale and Mastering Leptin books can offer up on this thread some highlights and/or details?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I second Asturian - this is all new to me, I appreciate anything you want to share about this topic, especially the Rosedale and Mastering Leptin infor mentioned...

Comment

Lectins apparently are the culprit for binding & disrupting leptin

Interesting. I think that even mainstream (CW) folks know about Leptin now, so if this is true, then you could argue that grains/ Lectin-containing food = Weight-gain/ BAD for EVERYONE. (In a simple explanation of the science, of course. Not to discredit the Insulin issue though....which coincides, but for most is another topic).

Comment

> Lectins apparently are the culprit for binding & disrupting leptin...

Actually - turns out they're not. But that article certainly has an interesting, and (though of course completely unproven) hypothesis.

Comment

Insulin interrupts the signals between the brain and Leptin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Comment

@serialsinner
                          [quote]

That is why I think that we might be better off sticking to what we evolved to thrive with, and carbs, while seem to not interfere much (glucose), happen to be perfectly disposable.
                          </blockquote>

I think this is the major difference of opinion between us. I think that we did evolve on a lot of Carbs during the last 200,000years. Before that I am not so sure. Still Low carb is a perfectly fine solution.

I think that ideal would be a general meat with carb diet, with occasional carb binges, and occasional zero carb and high fat diet. I believe that general diet would include tubers, at the expense of fibrous vegetables (not leafy ones).

I would think this would match the prehistoric diet much more closely. In general we would have small non fatty animals, which we would eat with tubers to offset the protein, and leafy vegetables. Occasionally we will catch a huge animal, then we get a lot of fatty meat. The fat would not last long (probably not more than one or two meals), and we would be back to eating the general diet, maybe eating the left over muscle meat, instead of the small animals, for a few more meals. Then somedays we won&#39;t even get the small animals, these would be high carb days.

In the present age of plenty we may be able to feast like every day we have caught a huge fatty animal, but there may be long term consequences. Peter at hyperlipid had some articles on GNG being suboptimal. Something to do with mitochondria and methionine. His articles are too technical, and sometimes making sense is very difficult :-(.

Searching is also not so easy.

Are there any other pre-industrial communities (apart from Kitavans) that live in a land of plenty. These people have access to fish, and animals on the island, but they still prefer to laze around and eat a high carb diet. One would think that if meat was so much better they would have preferred eating more meat, and less carbs. And they do live long. People living upto 100years are known without medicines.

They are shorter, and less strong, which can be explained by low protein diet and low activity. But they do live long and are healthy (except for infections and arthritis) till they die. Kitavans are a really interesting bunch of people.

I think if our aim is to lead a long and healthy life, we cannot ignore carbs.

Comment

@kebekgirl, I super-summarized the two books in my opening.

@anand, I think you are hung up on carbs! I do agree that - partly depending on geography - tubers, fruits, berries, and nuts have been part of the diet for hundreds of thousands of years. But I&#39;m not sure what you mean by "offsetting protein" as we know hominids do fine on an all protein and fat diet. I also doubt if there was any difference in fattiness of small to large animals, although all would vary by season in temperate climes. But then, man did not hit the temperate climes until long after his genes were mostly set.

Comment

Sorry folks, a little off topic.

Hi all, I&#39;ve been reading MDA and many of these forum topics and following a paleo diet/lifestyle has

significantly improved my health, strength/weight ratio, sleep, etc.

What I&#39;ve always found appealing is the very open manner in which Mark has made and continues to make such valuable information and analysis available to all readers, coupled with the knowledge transfer that occurs on these forums. I&#39;m afraid I know very little about these subjects, hence spend my time reading rather than commenting.

I find leptin an interesting area and hence, after reading this thread, sent an email requesting to join the yahoo group awriter refers to.

I was rejected because my motivation for information was not regarded as suitable. I wanted to learn more about leptin for the sake of my own health and fitness.

I don&#39;t know about you all, but I believe in the right of every individual to have free access to (non copyrighted) material.

The posts from awriter, as OnTheBayou has already pointed out, tell us how we cannot control leptin and tantalise us with the possibility that awriter has access to more information. But fails to share it.

Perhaps our fellow human beings in China might agree that access to information for the benefit of all is one of the noblest of human ambitions.

I hope that this does not offend the proprietor or any of the users of this site.

Comment

rwilliam321, your rejection seems odd. I requested membership and it was quickly granted. I don&#39;t think I ever gave a reason, simply abided by the requirement to give my name and refer to this forum. Maybe try again?

Comment

Working...
                                X