Mark's New Pyramid

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
    Basically, the new pyramid has 5 sections instead of 4. On the bottom is meat, fish, fowl and eggs (as opposed to vegetables and fruits which was on the bottom before). Above that is vegetables. Above that is good fats. Above that is the new section: moderation foods (eg. high-fat dairy, starchy tubers and fruits). Finally, on the top is herbs, spices, etc.

Having one pyramid is obviously an oversimplification, because each person has their own needs. But I feel at my best when I lots of (healthy, preferably dark green) vegetables. Your carb intake isn't going to rise that much eating lots of salad and dark green veggies. In terms of raw weight, I'd say vegetables have to be equal to or greater than animal foods. Hence the huge salad with lots of lettuce and spinach .

And speaking of carbs, who cares if you're getting a few carbs when you eat, say, a whole broccoli or cauliflower? That thing is so good for you and delicious! Meat should be altered according to activity level, while vegetables should be the integral part of everybody's diet.

Just to make it clear, I eat a LOT of meat, fish and eggs (just had about 200g of lamb's liver and a chicken breast with a salad), because I do a lot of exercise. I just think veggies are as important for healthy functioning of the body .
    Hmmm. I think getting fruit out of the bottom layer and up into the "moderation" section is a good idea but I'm not so sure about making meat the base with veg above it. Do you happen to know if Mark was intending this to be by volume or by calorie content or what measure?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsgp101310 View Post
      Well, the attachment says pending approval. Sorry guys, I tried...
      That usually happens with an attachment. I think it will be approved just need to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
        Hmmm. I think getting fruit out of the bottom layer and up into the "moderation" section is a good idea but I'm not so sure about making meat the base with veg above it. Do you happen to know if Mark was intending this to be by volume or by calorie content or what measure?
        Calorie count, IIRC. The book's at home so I can check in a little while.

Making meat the foundation of my diet in both volume and calories makes me feel great all the time. Second tier for me is sweet potatoes and other starches. Veg is third in quantity for me, but I get a variety, usually a side with every meal I cook. But I'm a young, active male doing heavy weight training.

Since I've restructured my diet and training this way, I've dropped another inch off my waist and added a half inch to both my arm and leg measurements, in under a month. So obviously it works for me. But I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective without heavy weights and sprinting, in which case I'd probably have to dial way back on the starch/calories, and up the veg.

EDIT: of course, heavy lifting and sprinting are part of the PB! So I suppose what I just said equates to "the PB wouldn't be so effective for me, if I weren't actually doing it."
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
          Calorie count, IIRC. The book's at home so I can check in a little while.

Making meat the foundation of my diet in both volume and calories makes me feel great all the time. Second tier for me is sweet potatoes and other starches. Veg is third in quantity for me, but I get a variety, usually a side with every meal I cook. But I'm a young, active male doing heavy weight training.

Since I've restructured my diet and training this way, I've dropped another inch off my waist and added a half inch to both my arm and leg measurements, in under a month. So obviously it works for me. But I think it wouldn't be nearly as effective without heavy weights and sprinting, in which case I'd probably have to dial way back on the starch/calories, and up the veg.

EDIT: of course, heavy lifting and sprinting are part of the PB! So I suppose what I just said equates to "the PB wouldn't be so effective for me, if I weren't actually doing it."
          OK. Calorie content would make sense. I can eat a huge volume of greens or veggies but the bulk of my calories are in the steak or salmon on top.

Comment

So few calories from fat?
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I always wondered why his pyramid in Primal Blueprint looked the way it did, makes more sense now.

Haven't purchased the new book as it sounded like the Cliff Notes version of the previous book and this forum and I wasn't interested. Kinda goes against what I normally do which is buy and read every book out there on the subject, while the message is always the same there is always some little nugget to gain from each and every book. Damn! now looks like I talked myself into buying it, curse you who posted this thread....
              You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Comment

Agree. I have always been heavier on the meat and I'll eat a couple of pounds a day on active days. Meat's got what you need. Vegetables are a supplement, not the main course.

I still disagree that tubers/starches are on the small end of the pyramid. I think things like sweet potatoes should be on the same level as leafy vegetables. But not for obese/diabetic people. So there really need to be two pyramids. But that would get too complicated and it's probably better to keep the message simple for people just starting out.
                I think there just has to be an understanding that different people have different needs. If you toil outside for long hours during the day, tubers are a compact source of energy. If you toil at a computer for 8 hours, maybe not so much.

I think the best visual representation would show animal- muscle meat & fat, offal, and marrow along with fruits/vegetables sorted by nutrient type, color, etc. Then the goal would be too kind of get some in every category. One thing I've learned in nutrition is that being set in stone on a certain diet is a great way to become malnourished. There's things that we just don't know, so it's really best to eat a good variety and use what judgement you have. Of course, the primal blueprint and other paleo ideas around the web can open people's eyes to what exactly should be the choices to choose from.

Comment

so what changed to make spices not good to use a lot anymore?

Comment

Yeah, Mark's doing just fine, judging by the pictures his house in the book. I bought it mostly so I have something I don't mind giving someone if they want info about the PB.
                    Yeah, too bad about those awful views he has to put up with, eh? And I say MORE POWER TO HIM! Anyone who can get rich by helping other people improve their lives - hell, he and the rest of the paleo trailblazers are saving lives! I hope they all get filthy rich.

I bought the new book too, to help bump him onto the bestseller list. Of course it has a lot of the same material as the PB book but it's a lot slicker with great photos and I think he put a ton of work into it. Prolly won't give mine away though.

Comment

I've been tracking my food on FitDay lately as I was feeling very exhausted and fatigued. Seems 60-70% of my daily calories are from fats! But I guess that's bound to happen when you eat eggs, salmon, beef and CO? Personally I don't think a high-protein/lower fat would work well for me. Once my weightloss stalls Im ready to consider it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
                        so what changed to make spices not good to use a lot anymore?
                        I don't think he is saying not to use them, but that by volume or mass or calories, spices don't take up nearly as much "space" as meat or veggies. My dry rub, for instance, is half a cup of spices for a few pounds of meat. There's a teaspoon or two (or less) in most dishes I make for my wife and myself. Use as much as you want and by volume/mass/caloric intake, they won't add up to much.

Comment

Someone take a picture of the damned thing and post it here, but do not attach it.

Comment

Do you all find it confounding that Mark would switch up the entire Primal food pyramid and not even mention it on his blog? (Or did we just all miss it?)

I remain firmly convinced that some folks do better on mostly meat, others do better with more vegetables. I've finally got myself dialed in, and I suggest you do your own n=1 and find your own unique setting.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

It is quite odd considering that the pyramid is the go-to reference for everyone to identify exactly what they should be eating. I've got a feeling that Mark will mention it by the end of the year, though!

Attachments take forever to be approved of in my experience, so it'd probably be best to upload the image to a place such as Photobucket or Imageshack and then just link it here.

I'm really keen to see the new pyramid as well, myself, despite the fact that the book should be here soon. :P
                              Last edited by KG; 10-30-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I never bought the original book. Would I better off buying the new book?
                                "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Working...
                                X