Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macadamias!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Macadamias!

    Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help me with some advice on Macadamias. I've read that there probably the best nut to be eating and Mr Sissons seems to be a pretty big fan of them but I'm wondering what the health implications are of eating too many? like say 10-15 oz (300-400g) in one sitting?

    Thanks in advance

    Marc

  • #2
    Probably none except for beating yourself up no permanent health implications...tomorrow is another day. If they are a trigger food for overeating you might want to keep them out of the house.

    Here is the full nutritional information for 1 cup of macadamias
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, macadamia nuts, raw

    Comment


    • #3
      Yum, macadamias! In terms of portion control, a serving size is a closed-fist's amount of nuts. So literally, a handful of nuts is a terrific snack size, no measuring cups required!

      By the way, I **just** discovered this morning that my macadamia nuts are roasted IN PEANUT OIL. **cue music of DOOM** So I just splurged to order raw, organic macadamia nuts from Nuts Online (and got some raw hazelnuts and coconut flour as well). Make sure you know what your macadamias are roasted in, if you buy them pre-roasted.
      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

      **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

      **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the advice guys, I was wondering if either of you could explain the whole Omega 3:6 ratio thing as far as macadamias are concerned. Like if you were to overindulge on nuts would it be worth having a bit more fish oil that day or am I completely off track?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MBur View Post
          Thanks for the advice guys, I was wondering if either of you could explain the whole Omega 3:6 ratio thing as far as macadamias are concerned. Like if you were to overindulge on nuts would it be worth having a bit more fish oil that day or am I completely off track?
          That was .6 grams Omega3 and 4 grams of Omega 6. Some extra fish oil wouldn't hurt.
          ( if you had eaten 300 gr blanched almonds you would have consumed 0 Grams Omega 3 and 36 grams Omega 6)
          Last edited by Adrianag; 10-28-2011, 05:33 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Holy moly that 3:6 ratio is insane for different nuts. Thanks for the info!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
              So I just splurged to order raw, organic macadamia nuts from Nuts Online (and got some raw hazelnuts and coconut flour as well).
              That is scary, Nuts Online is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than Whole Foods for raw macadamia nuts ($11.49/lb in my neck of the woods). I guess they must be rolling in the shipping charges or something.

              Comment


              • #8
                You do know there's a reason they're called crack-a-damias, RIGHT? lol
                Dude, that's a lot of nuts!
                --Trish (Bork)
                TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JackieKessler View Post
                  Yum, macadamias! In terms of portion control, a serving size is a closed-fist's amount of nuts. So literally, a handful of nuts is a terrific snack size, no measuring cups required!
                  Unfortunately for me, macadamia nuts only come in one portion size, the whole container. Just too good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
                    That is scary, Nuts Online is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than Whole Foods for raw macadamia nuts ($11.49/lb in my neck of the woods). I guess they must be rolling in the shipping charges or something.
                    Um. Well. My macadamias are individually wrapped in gold. **makes note to order nuts from WF next time**
                    F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                    **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                    **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                      You do know there's a reason they're called crack-a-damias, RIGHT?
                      Hah!
                      F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                      **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                      **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                        Unfortunately for me, macadamia nuts only come in one portion size, the whole container. Just too good.
                        They **are** good. If I weren't so full now, I'd have some.
                        F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

                        **1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

                        **First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X