Four days in and light headed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four days in and light headed...

I started PB on Monday and was feeling great already until today. Today I am feeling weak and light-headed. Is this an effect of eliminating carbs/sugar cold turkey? I am slowly trying to go primal. I am trying to go about this slowly (still eating my Kashi Go-Lean with skim in the morning) cooked chicken breast for a morning snack, LARGE salad with fish for lunch but I am still hungry. Hoping this will pass soon. LOVE this site!

Getting enough fat?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

BTW, I am a female age 37, 5'6, 145 lbs. I am reasonably athletic (I run) but the weight is not budging and I am tired of being tired so I am trying Primal Blueprint.

Comment

Where are you getting your fats from?
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Hmm, maybe not.

Comment

Today I had about a tbs of shredded cheese and a tbs of ranch dressing. Not the right fat, I know..Yesterday I had about a handful of almonds.
            Last edited by vanhelb; 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelb View Post
              Today I had about a tbs of shredded cheese and a tbs of ranch dressing. Not the right fat, I know..Yesterday I had about a handful of almonds.
              Fat is too low. I usually try to consume 65% of daily calorie intake in fats. So if my daily requirement is ~2000 kcal then 1300 kcal need to come from fat, roughly 140 g/day.

Do your own calculations according to your stats to figure out the right amount.
              Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
              LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

Comment

It's normal to be light headed and get flu-like symptoms as you adjust to burning fat more for energy and converting amino acids into glucose for yourself. It doesn't happen to everyone, but I think to most. It clears up as your body switches on the genes needed to deal with it, anything from a couple of days to weeks depending on the person. As mentioned above in the early stages especially eat plenty of fat to make the adjustment easier. Also at the start there is a shift of fluids and electrolytes so you lose salt and magnesium. It's worth having something salty like bouillon and taking magnesium supplements while you make the transition if you aren't feeling great (provided you don't have a history of kidney problems).
                The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
                (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
                (Arthur De Vany)

Comment

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt I
                  The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
                  The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
                  (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
                  (Arthur De Vany)

Comment

BTW, I am a female age 37, 5'6, 145 lbs. I am reasonably athletic (I run) but the weight is not budging and I am tired of being tired so I am trying Primal Blueprint.
                    how long do you run and how often?
                    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

What does a day of meals look like? Do you like avocado? Coconut oil? Eating any grass-fed meats? You could sub that ranch dressing for an olive oil/vinegar mix...things like that will help get your fat up from healthy sources.
                      $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Stop drinking skim. If you're going to drink milk try raw, grass fed or whole at least. Fat =/= fat.

Comment

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. Need more fat. It's so counterintuitive to what I have been doing. I will get the hang of this!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. Need more fat. It's so counterintuitive to what I have been doing. I will get the hang of this!
                            You will get the hang of it, just give it time and do it gradually, especially if you haven't had so much fat in your diet before. Some of the positive things you may notice right away is that you don't feel as hungry as you used to, and everything tastes so much better with more fat in it.
                            Primal Matrix - primal/paleo news feeds aggregator
                            LowCarbFlix - carb free videos

Comment

Working...
                            X