Highest HDL around? Who has it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest HDL around? Who has it?

I'm wondering if anybody has a 1:1 ratio of HDL to LDL, or better. My tested HDL is 93.7, and calculated LDL is 150. Total Cholesterol is 252, for perspective. I doubt I'm winning this one, so who's got me beat?!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

How's your CRP? Sometimes very high HDL can mean that you have a systemic infection. If high CRP then probably, if low then probably not. If not then that's pretty excellent.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I'll see if they'll run a CRP for me soon. Thanks for the heads up! I sure haven't noticed any inflammatory symptoms, but the truth is in the numbers. Maybe I'm running a mild cold and have no idea.
      Last edited by Knifegill; 10-26-2011, 06:18 PM.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

My HDL was 103, LDL 80 something. But I am a woman and read women tend to have higher HDL. I also looked around some because Iw as worried about it, and actually found quite a few primal folks with higher HDL numbers. I didn't get a CRP, but when you do request highly sensitive.

Comment

No idea what mine is, never had it tested.... maybe one day
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

My HDL is 80, LDL is 119, Trigs 50. My mom (in her 60's who is pretty fit but not paleo at all...eats very sensible though) has an HDL in the 120s.

Comment

I only know my total cholesterol. It's 158. The blood form said they only measure the individual sections if it's over 190. I read somewhere that a total number doesn't mean anything but my Dr seems happy.
              Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
              CW - 60kg / 132lb
              GW - 60kg / 132lb

Comment

Originally posted by merehart View Post
                My HDL was 103, LDL 80 something. But I am a woman and read women tend to have higher HDL. I also looked around some because Iw as worried about it, and actually found quite a few primal folks with higher HDL numbers. I didn't get a CRP, but when you do request highly sensitive.
                That's insane.

Comment

When I read Primal Body, Primal Mind she suggested high HDL can be an indicator of inflammation, just like LDL. But my doctor did not seem to be concerned. The other important thing is particle size. Are your LDL type A, nice a fluffy; or are they type B, small and hard. Check your test. High HDL can be genetic as well.

If you got additional testing done, look through it and see if anything else is off. Most of mine came back normal, with only one other indicator suggesting inflammation. But I know that personally my cortisol is high, and that is a big factor for inflammation. FWIW I have been strictly primal for a year. I have no idea what my numbers were prior to this, but I was eating a ton of whole grains daily!

Comment

About a year ago when I tested HDL was 94, LDL was 101.

About two years ago when I tested, it was over 1:1 when HDL was 77 and LDL was 72.

I have no idea what size the LDL are. Trigs have always been low, think the last time it was in 30s. Oddly, since going primal both the HDL and LDL increased as I definitely started eating more primal from two years ago to the last checkup.

Comment

You guys put me to shame. Last time I had mine checked HDL was 77 and LDL was 180-something (probably overestimated since trigs were 50, I think). But it's at least an improvment from a year or so earlier when HDL was 58.

What's you super-HDL'ers diet like? Any supplements, exercise, anything else (genetics) you attribute your numbers to?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                        About a year ago when I tested HDL was 94, LDL was 101.

About two years ago when I tested, it was over 1:1 when HDL was 77 and LDL was 72.

I have no idea what size the LDL are. Trigs have always been low, think the last time it was in 30s. Oddly, since going primal both the HDL and LDL increased as I definitely started eating more primal from two years ago to the last checkup.
                        It's totally normal for both to go up when you start eating more saturated fat. Your total was quite low to begin with (149 is LOW), so you might actually be benefiting from higher totals. As long as they both go up together your ratio will be staying about the same so it's all good.

I have never had my numbers run. When I reach my body comp goals I probably will, just for kicks. I'll never know where I was at when I started though.
                        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Had to wait until I got my annual bloodwork back today to add to this thread

Here are my results:
                          Total Cholesterol - 199
                          HDL - 118
                          LDL - 72
                          Tri - 45
                          Fasting Glucose 85

My HDL has continued to increase each year, I have essentially been primal for about 5 or 6 years.

2010 my HDL was 90, and in 2009 I think it was about 80. I seem to recall about 6 years ago a doc being impressed when my HDL was at like 50, HA.

Someone mentioned HDL too high and inflammation, I have a LONG history of inflammation problems and it has progressively improved each year.....so at least for me personally I don't think they are tied.
                          Erin
                          Daily Vlogs
                          Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Just got this yesterday.

Total cholesterol - 362
                            HDL - 121
                            LDL - 234
                            Tri - 36

I've requested a VAP test from my doc's office; waiting for a call back. Very unhappy with my doc; she said my tris are too low and my HDL is too high. And she flagged the overall number and the LDL as much too high. But she also told me to "eat more greens and fiber" and to "exercise" and I was like, Doc, did you even bother to read my file? Sheesh.
                            F, 44 years old, 111.8 lbs, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**1st place sparring, AAU TKD regional qualifier, 2/15/15 - It's damn good to hit like a girl!**

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Comment

Total chol 322
                              Hdl 94
                              ldl 191 iranian calc.
                              trig 61

Been primal for 5 months. Just had test done 2 weeks ago. Doc was freaked lol
                              "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
                              started @400+pounds
                              CW: 191lbs 15%BF
                              PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
                              UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Working...
                              X