Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone notice that Fage has changed its nutrition facts again for full fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone notice that Fage has changed its nutrition facts again for full fat?

Now it's lower in cals and fat for (full fat fage) and 2 grams more sugar. Was 270 cals, 20 grams of fat for a 7 oz container and now it's 190, 10 grams of fat and 8 grams of sugar. Weird. Seems like they made a lower calorie, fat one to appeal to the masses.

That wouldn't suprise me. It's gotta be hard trying to sell a full-fat Greek yogurt in this country. In fact it's the only full-fat yogurt I have ever seen and it's increasingly difficult to find around here. When I come accross some I stock up. Fage full-fat with fresh blueberries mixed in is heaven!
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Cabot sells a full fat greek version.. well its not labeled as low fat.. labeled as 10% fat.23g of fat 7g of sugar. Shaws here actually sells it.. and ironically it sells out a LOT. Fage is sold at whole foods last I bought it(2 weeks ago), it was 10% fat as well. Ironically Whole Foods does not sell the full fat version of cabot and Shaws does not sell the full fat version of Fage yet both stores sell both brands. S&S sells neither whole fat version so I dont go there anymore. Of course I can't find a nitrate free bacon at Shaws so I have to go to S&S for that ARGH! It's a pain having to go to 3 different stores, (4 if you count the local farm for produce, 5 if you count when I pick up my meat CSA)
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Us Canadians also get the shaft when it comes to greek yogurt, available brands of Greek yogurt are considerably higher in carb/lower protein than the labels I see from south of the border.

PC's Greek has 12g of carb for 18g of protein, Oikos has 7g carb & 17g protein, Liberte is similar.
        The closest to full fat greek I've seen is Olympic's Krema, which while it says "greek style" the nutritional info leads me to believe its not strained : 19g fat 12g carb 7g protein

I find myself buying tubs of plain 2% to 6% for cheap as they approach their dates, and then straining w cheesecloth for a quality greek yogurt. I can't actually calculate the carbs of the end result, but with the amount of whey that drains off and the resulting texture I suspect its quite low.
        Last edited by Fury; 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Trader's Point Creamery, full-fat, plain. Can't find the numbers online, but I'll post when I get home. Tasty, full-fat, from grass-fed cows' milk.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
            Trader's Point Creamery, full-fat, plain. Can't find the numbers online, but I'll post when I get home. Tasty, full-fat, from grass-fed cows' milk.
            Thanks, I will look into it.

Comment

If all else fails, get some organic full fat (plain) yogurt and set it in a paper-towel-lined strainer over a bowl. Put it in the fridge for a couple of hours and you'll have creamy full-fat Greek yogurt.
              My blog (primal after 8/5/11).

Comment

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
                Now it's lower in cals and fat for (full fat fage) and 2 grams more sugar. Was 270 cals, 20 grams of fat for a 7 oz container and now it's 190, 10 grams of fat and 8 grams of sugar. Weird. Seems like they made a lower calorie, fat one to appeal to the masses.
                When I get it in a 16 oz container, the nutrition information changed from 310 to 220 calories per 8 oz serving, and the fat content went way down. Honestly, I didn't notice much of a difference in taste. Definitely didn't need the couple extra grams of sugar though.

Biggest gripe is that sometimes I'd buy fat-free for use post-workout/for refeeds, sometimes I'd buy full-fat for other purposes - each has its own niche. I don't really understand the need to make the full-fat version with less fat, when 2% and fat-free versions already exist.
                Last edited by jsa23; 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Yes, it seems you're right. I just brought 2 containers from Whole Foods in Cambridge, and I feel quite cheated now. I suppose I'll have to check out Shaw's.

@activia, you're right, just 2 weeks ago, Whole Foods in the Boston area did have 10% yogurt. Sadly, this is no longer the case.
                  Last edited by ppham27; 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                    It's a pain having to go to 3 different stores, (4 if you count the local farm for produce, 5 if you count when I pick up my meat CSA)
                    I'll give you a sixth: Sophia's Greek Pantry or Greek International Food Market Try the labneh as well where they take it all the way to a cheese like consistency.
                    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I bought the last two 20 gram full-fat containers at Whole Foods last weekend, along with 2 containers with the 10 grams of fat version. I tried the lower fat one and it's nowhere near as good. I'm thinking I will have to whip some heavy cream and mix it in so it tastes like the old version.

Comment

I emailed Fage, and this is the response that I got:

At FAGE we are continuously researching improvements to our products and processes. Most recently we have improved the nutritional profile of our FAGE Total yogurt by adding Bifidus and L. Casei to our blend of cultures, reducing the fat content and increasing protein content. A significant decrease in calories per serving has also occurred as a result.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Michelle Haney
                        Consumer Relations
                        FAGE USA Dairy Industry, Inc.
                        1 Opportunity Drive | Johnstown NY 12095
                        P: (866)962-5912 | F: (518)762-5918

Comment

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Well that is freaking heartbreaking....
                            Looks like Cabot Greek is going to have to get tried now...
                            Last edited by likwidoxigen; 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ppham27 View Post
                              I emailed Fage, and this is the response that I got:

At FAGE we are continuously researching improvements to our products and processes. Most recently we have improved the nutritional profile of our FAGE Total yogurt by adding Bifidus and L. Casei to our blend of cultures, reducing the fat content and increasing protein content. A significant decrease in calories per serving has also occurred as a result.

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Michelle Haney
                              Consumer Relations
                              FAGE USA Dairy Industry, Inc.
                              1 Opportunity Drive | Johnstown NY 12095
                              P: (866)962-5912 | F: (518)762-5918

Oh geeez!! How ridiculous!!! No, no you have not improved the nutritional profile. UGH!

Comment

Working...
                              X