cashews?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cashews?

I know peanuts are a no-no, but what about cashews? I find conflicting information all over the internet....

If you do a search on cashews from the home page you will find some good resources but based on this post: Nuts and Omega 6 Fats | Mark's Daily Apple I have been loving raw cashews and macademias. They seem to be pretty low in omega 6s. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

Comment

I could eat a 16 oz corn fed steak and get less omega 6 than a small handful of any nut/peanut/legume except for macadamias. I try and avoid nuts 99% of the time. The fact that they're an order of magnitude higher in phytate and lectin content than whole wheat doesn't help, either, and that they're more calorically dense than chocolate is yet another reason to avoid.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Nothing unhealthy about cashews unless you want to lose weight. It's very easy to pick up more calories than you think.
        Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

Are cashews more calorically dense than macs?

Comment

KEEP CASHEWS AWAY FROM ME!!!! Seriously I have no self control when it comes to them. I no longer keep them in my house lol

On topic: Cashews are cool, especially if you prepare them properly. A handful or so is all good. The calories can stack up though, if weight loss is your goal.
            "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

Originally posted by muaythaimike View Post
              KEEP CASHEWS AWAY FROM ME!!!! Seriously I have no self control when it comes to them. I no longer keep them in my house lol

On topic: Cashews are cool, especially if you prepare them properly. A handful or so is all good. The calories can stack up though, if weight loss is your goal.
              How do you prepare them? I have been given a bag of cashews which I'd like to use....

Comment

according to mark, cashews are NOT primal...but i still eat them.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                  How do you prepare them? I have been given a bag of cashews which I'd like to use....
                  Soak them, dry them and roast them. Don't soak them for as long as other nuts because they'll get too soft.
                  "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

Any nuts should pretty much be a last resort, or an occasional indulgence. They are effectively empty calories, and they're way too moreish. I'd rather snack on fruit (maybe even a chocolate bar), even on my low-carb days.

Comment

They are effectively empty calories, and they're way too moreish. I'd rather snack on fruit (maybe even a chocolate bar), even on my low-carb days.
                      ITA. I am sure there is some form of natural msg in nuts they have yet to discover that makes you eat more and faster. i did happen to read the label on a 100g bar of lindt 85% chocolate the other day in supermarket this week and it is only 18g carbs in the whole bar. not that i crave chocolate either but i am needing to make a low carb choc mousse so i did it out of interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X