Expensive meat ideas!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive meat ideas!

I have a large $20 dinner budget every day. Instead of haplessly spending it on a bunch of expensive Primal junk food, or even a huge corn-fed steak dinner, I was thinking it might be better to just buy a pound (or less) of really yummy cut of some kind of expensive meat and cook that, while IFing for the rest of the day. Any ideas?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

My faves are grass fed flank and rib eye!
    Pre-Primal SW: 161
    CW- 150
    Goal 120ish

Comment

Or a really good sushi quality ahi steak.

Comment

or super-duper high quality salmon.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I'm in Michigan and my Hawaii ass doesn't want to buy any raw fish here =x

Also, is there a good stove-top way of preparing beef?

Comment

If I had only one meal, and $20 to spend on it I'd get some hangar or chuck, a bottle of red wine, as many onions as you're willing to chop (up to a couple of five-pound bags), one-and-a-half pounds of your root of choice, and a stick of butter.

Sear the hangar or chuck in a pot, throw in the onions and half the wine and let that simmer on low for at least 4 hours; when it's done you'll be able to shred it with a fork. While that's going on, prepare your starch. I like buttery mashed potatoes, skillet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, or some white rice (half-cup when raw). If you're feeling especially fancy get some jicama or celery and have a bite of that every few bites to cleanse the palate, the better to taste the meal. Enjoy with a glass or two of the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              Oh yeah, and I'm in Michigan and my Hawaii ass doesn't want to buy any raw fish here =x

Also, is there a good stove-top way of preparing beef?
              Steak au poivre in a cast iron skillet :Steak au Poivre Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
              Or burgers in a cast iron skillet.
              Basically, a cast iron skillet is the way to go for searing.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                Steak au poivre in a cast iron skillet :Steak au Poivre Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
                Or burgers in a cast iron skillet.
                Basically, a cast iron skillet is the way to go for searing.
                Almost. If you had the disposable cash for a copper pan that would be tops for searing, but cast iron is still a very good choice, and stupid cheap too.

Comment

Jumbo shrimp or prawns, wrapped in bacon or dipped in butter. Or both.

Comment

OMG those recipes sound delicious. Going to Whole Foods tonight to buy steak O_O

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                      Jumbo shrimp or prawns, wrapped in bacon or dipped in butter. Or both.
                      Haha never got into either bacon or seafood with butter o.O I'm so used to eating all my seafood with vinegar xD

Comment

Braised BBQ'd beef short ribs.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post514596

Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Um, also just a shout that in a state surrounded by lakes there's loads of good fresh fish around... just might need to switch to different types (trout... yummy...)

Comment

Originally posted by catemarie View Post
                            Um, also just a shout that in a state surrounded by lakes there's loads of good fresh fish around... just might need to switch to different types (trout... yummy...)
                            Ehhhhh...I'm more skeptical of lakewater fish because the lake is pretty nasty....compared to the open ocean at least XD

Chocotaco: HOLY CRAP O_O That totally reminds me of kalbi Except on a stovetop? I'm bought!! Going to try that after the poivre.

Ended up with some rare lamb tonight since I was over budget from lunch. After tomorrow there will be deliciousness! =)

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                              If I had only one meal, and $20 to spend on it I'd get some hangar or chuck, a bottle of red wine, as many onions as you're willing to chop (up to a couple of five-pound bags), one-and-a-half pounds of your root of choice, and a stick of butter.

Sear the hangar or chuck in a pot, throw in the onions and half the wine and let that simmer on low for at least 4 hours; when it's done you'll be able to shred it with a fork. While that's going on, prepare your starch. I like buttery mashed potatoes, skillet potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, or some white rice (half-cup when raw). If you're feeling especially fancy get some jicama or celery and have a bite of that every few bites to cleanse the palate, the better to taste the meal. Enjoy with a glass or two of the wine.
                              Can I come over? That's almost exactly what I'd recommend. I can bring the sides.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X