No announcement yet.

Leptin Reset for ED recovery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you felt much of an improvement from being on Prozac? If so, for what in particular?

I'm on Lexapro (and have been on Prozac). It mainly addresses my anxiety. Feel free to read my blog (sorry, it's long!) to keep up with my experiments with supplements in trying to eradicate my depression and anxiety. I have found that eating primal leveled my moods quite a bit, L-Tyrosine keeps me more focused, and 5-HTP helps me sleep as well as seeming to help my ability to handle stressful situations. I am about to start supplementing with B-12, since I don't eat any offal (organ meat).

I read "Mood Cure" (kind of a companion to Diet Cure, I guess, but more focused on supplements on what they do) and "Depression-Free: Naturally". I think both are good in terms of understanding exactly what those supplements are supposed to do, and then maybe you can focus on getting those supplements from food sources. I am supplementing because I don't think I get enough of these nutrients from natural sources and I believe I have depleted my system of some of these nutrients to the point that I must supplement to build them back up before eating will solve anything.

Keep reading and talk to your doctor about what you're thinking of doing. I don't know if they'll be behind a supplement regimen, regardless of ED concerns, but getting the best method for reducing something that affects your brain like Prozac is very important!
    Depression Lies

Comment

You mention that you're in therapy. Surely your therapist has warned you against any restrictive eating plan or protocol? I'm not bulimic, but I read a lot, and I've read that anyone with an ED must not get involved in such restrictive eating programs.

However, restrictive programs seem to attract people with an ED history. When I was losing weight, I was very involved with 'alternate-day dieting' that specific very, very low calories on alternate days. Many, many people who came to our internet discussion group had an ED history--even though the developers of the plan warned that it was unsuitable for anyone with an ED history. Within days or weeks, every one of them had their disorder surface again.

Please follow the good advice you got here and focus on your healing and avoid any restrictive eating.

Comment

I can't address the ED issue- fortunately, I've never had to go through that- but I can address the depression. I've been on the Mood Cure's supplement regime for a bit now, and I really think it helps. It is a lot of pills (I happen to be on all of them, you might not be) and kind of a pain in the ass, but I've been on a lot of different depression medications in the past, and none of them have had this effect. I expect to just stay on them through the winter to battle SAD and bring my levels up to what they should be. I'm hoping to be on less/none over the summer.

If you're concerned about creating obsessions- you will want to watch yourself because it is pills 6 or 7 times a day (I did not want to just realize that!). It sounds like the bulimia is mental as much as possibly physical (again, I may not know what I'm talking about) but once your head is adjusted, you may be less inclined to be obsessive.

With weaning off the Prozac- Julia Ross actually reccomends that you start the supps first and then wean if/when you're ready. I hated being on drugs and stopped partially because they didn't do much good but more because I'm bull-headed. That really isn't a good reason to stop.

I journal less than namelesswonder, but feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to talk. Like MalPaz said, it's a hard trail. Congratulations for taking the first steps on it!
        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

It is Wellbutrin that is being successfully used for binge eating, not Prozac, so I'm not sure why you have been put on Prozac.

What you can do TODAY to begin to put the brakes on this latest binge cycle:

-- go for a walk outside in nature (must be outside)
          -- write in a journal for 20 minutes (the topic matters not)
          -- break open an L-glutamine cap and pour it onto your tongue
          -- eat 2-3 big spoonfuls of coconut manna
          -- eat a pack of bacon (really)
          -- buy some flowers for yourself and display them prominently in your home
          -- go to a yoga class
          -- go to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting
          -- get a massage
          -- have an acupuncture session
          -- YOU COME FIRST
          -- in bed by 8, preferably 7, covers pulled over your head. you're safe and calm and cozy under there
          -- call in sick to work tomorrow. you need to rest. (and go to yoga, walk, journal...)

The more of the list you can do, the better.

My thoughts are with you today, Dear One.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post

However, restrictive programs seem to attract people with an ED history.
            There's a lot of evidence showing that restrictive eating is actually how EDs begin in the first place. That was definitely the case for me.

Very, very bad for us.

Comment

I love these suggestions I actually just did the L-glutamine right before I read this post, and I'm planning on doing some yoga later, maybe even a walk. I've also been trying to get more sleep, and be more selfish Sounds funny, but I have a hard time rationalizing doing things for myself, putting myself first, that kind of thing. It's strange though, because I'm single/childless so I don't really have anyone else to spend time on! I guess I just feel like I'm not worth it/don't deserve it? I'm definitely working on that. Thanks for the kind words

Comment

Namelesswonder- I don't know if I've felt much of anything since being on the Prozac, which is why I'm not too concerned with going off it. Also, I'm only taking 20mg, so maybe the dose is too low to notice anything substantial. I also have the Mood Cure, but I'm reading the Diet Cure first. I'm interested in what it has to say about supps that might help the mood issues. I'll check out your blog, thanks!

drssgchic- You mentioned taking the supplements while weaning off the Prozac. I seem to remember coming across that in the Diet Cure as well, but I'm apprehensive because I've read several times that you're not supposed to combine SSRI's and 5-htp. I guess I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Comment

You've had some excellent advice here - puh-leese follow the people who say to stay away from Dr Kruse!! I imagine you already have some 'rules' around your eating, so adding more from an external source won't help and will most likely make it worse. He has rules around protein and carb levels, as well as supplements. Like Mal said, eating a good high protein breakfast will quite likely help with stabilising your intake over the day. Other than that, your healing relies on you developing a detachment from food, so eating according to a plan will derail that.

Hang tough, hun. You can work through this.
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I don't remember the part about SSRIs and 5-HTP, but you might be right. The cool thing about the supplements is that they are the building blocks for your body to make what it needs. If it doesn't need something, it won't make it. However, you are right to check into possible issues with mixing. I think 5-HTP was one of the ones that also had alternatives- tryptophan I think. Just a thought.
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

L-tryptophan is the alternative, yes. "Depression-Free: Naturally" warns against 5-HTP altogether, but I don't really understand why. It is an older book, so perhaps that conclusion is based on older research? Take it all with a grain of salt. In general, the concern is that you will give your body TOO MUCH serotonin to draw from, which can be very dangerous.

From my experience, 20mg is a fairly average dose, but I could be wrong. I was on 10mg of Prozac and had nightmares on it. Even if you aren't feeling anything from it, if your body decides to use it as a fuel source for producing serotonin, you may go through a withdrawal period (anxiety, depression, unstable moods ~1-2 weeks for ~1-2 weeks after stopping cold turkey, or at least that's what happened to me). Even Julia Ross says not to take 5-HTP with an SSRI without talking to your doctor first. No harm in seeing what they think. It's always nice to have someone supportive, but if they have scientific backing to their support, all the better.

Drssgchic (not sure how to extend that to something pronouncable in my head, heh!) and I are interesting because she's doing everything and I'm picking and choosing. That's why I say READ LOTS! I would love to keep up on your progress. Are you thinking of keeping a journal here?
                      Depression Lies

Comment

It's short for "dressage chic" but I've had it for so long that it's the one I default to- even though no one knows what it is.

I second the vote for a journal! I just started mine pretty recently, and it's good to get feedback from everybody here and have some accountability.

Comment

i dont understand why youre on prozac??? tigerlily's advice is money though, do that. before you take any prescription drugs, please make your doctor/therapist prove to you youre actually high or low in serotonin/dopamine. there is a BIGGGG difference between being deplete in serotonin and being insensitive to it. same with dopamine.

what i dont agree with about SSRI is the imbalance it creates elsewhere, youre boosting serotonin, but at the expense of what? you lose sensitivity to both dopamine/serotonin when doing this.

i would play around with sensitizers before touching a prescription drug, FWIW. l-glutamine is a good start. will also assist in healing youre severely damaged gut(from throwing up).
                          Get on my Level
                          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

What is your binge M.O.? What kind of check-out mechanism or binge ritual are you engaging in?

One of the (few) useful things that I actually gleaned from two/three (hell, I can't even remember) eating disorder therapists I've seen: if you cross over that line in the sand and you KNOW you are going to binge, here are the rules of engagement: get all your food together and put everything on the dining room table (clear off any clutter first). Spread it all out there. With NO distractions -- no TV (my check-out mechanism of choice), no looking at the internet, no eating in the car, no standing in the kitchen and wolfing down food -- sit down and begin your binge. Break a leg, girl. Knock yourself out. But you have got to stay here on Planet Earth and not leave your body. If/when you start to float off, you can blink your eyes several times and tap or thump your left wrist with your right hand (just to keep you in your body -- HELLO?! Anybody home?!).

I'll be damned. You won't be able to get very far at all.

Also, keep your focus on just getting through this one day. Put blinders on the sides of your little face and keep your head down. All you have to be concerned about is today. The "one day at a time" thing really does work.

Comment

Mal- My therapist suggested an SSRI for depression, and Prozac specifically because it's been used in bulimia treatment. How would I be able to get my dr to prove that I'm high/low in serotonin/dopamine? Are there specific tests for that?

TigerLily-I'm not even sure what my MO is, but I definitely experience that "check out". you described it perfectly when you said you have to stay on planet earth and not leave your body. That's exactly how I feel. It's like a switch in my brain gets flipped and I'm a different person. When this happens I can't rationalize or stop, it's like I'm being controlled by some other force. It's crazy, and frankly it's scary. I didn't realize that other people have that experience too.

Comment

wow that's all very interesting. I just "pigged out" on some almond nut-thins. I ate like 2 handfuls more than i planned. It was nothing like the "binge" y'all are describing. I'm glad i don't know what you're talking about. Hope you find your way.

Comment

Working...
                                X