Stomach=bottomless pit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomach=bottomless pit

Hokay so. I am a 20 year old male college student. 6'2'' 185 about 12% bf if it makes a difference. Following the LeanGains protocol to the T. Anyway, I've found that since starting LeanGains my meat-eating capacity has grown to epic proportions. I eat 2 meals/day, lunch at 1 pm and dinner at 7-8pm. I find I am not satisfied unless I consume at a bare minimum, 1.5 lbs of whatever meat I am eating per meal. To my question...

Is it possible that I am overeating even though I am simply eating until I am full? I would like to gain muscle and not fat (doesn't everyone?). Today was supposed to be a rest day with little activity, yet I probably ate near 3.5-4 lbs of meat today (turkey, shrimp, sausage, steak). Most of that being steak at dinner. Yet I only ate around 60g's of carbs today.

Should I be worried about the amount of calories I'm taking in? Or should I simply listen to my body? I lift heavy RPT style every 3 days with frequent long walks and some INTENSE touch football once per week.

Thanks for any help and peace in the middle east. PaleoAP
    Alex Peterson-
    Nutritional Consultant
    Creator of The Whole Muscle Diet and the Whole Muscle Blog

www.wholemusclegains.com

The authority on nutrition for strength and lean mass gains without the use of supplements, meal-timing, or other unnecessary diet methods.

That's a lot if meat. Are you getting enough fats and not just lean cuts of meat and fish? Fats and fibrous veggies may satiate you more efficiently. Try starting each meal with a big bowl of salad and fats.

The best indications of success are your results; if it's working, stick with it. If you aren't getting your results, adjust some things until you hit the sweet spot.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Comment

I'd try to supplement your meals with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil or more if needed. That might help.

Comment

Originally posted by j3nn View Post
        That's a lot if meat. Are you getting enough fats and not just lean cuts of meat and fish? Fats and fibrous veggies may satiate you more efficiently. Try starting each meal with a big bowl of salad and fats.

The best indications of success are your results; if it's working, stick with it. If you aren't getting your results, adjust some things until you hit the sweet spot.
        +1. Primal is a plant-based way of eating.

Comment

It could be that your body simply isn't digesting the food well, requiring you to eat more food for the same results. I recommend using Digestive Enzymes. I use NOW brand ones, and I feel they lower my appetite.

Comment

I'll definitely try the digestive enzymes and eating some more veggies! Obviously I've got protein covered! I know I can't sustain eating such high quantities of meat. I can't afford it on a college budget!
            Alex Peterson-
            Nutritional Consultant

www.wholemusclegains.com

The authority on nutrition for strength and lean mass gains without the use of supplements, meal-timing, or other unnecessary diet methods.

Comment

I make my own grass-fed tallow. You just buy it for dirt cheap from a good butcher, I pay around 2.00 for 17,500 calories of pure, healthy saturated animal fat. Just dice (or mash) and boil for a few hours in a little water, then strain the oil out.

I cook my vegetables in half tallow and half coconut oil, and drink it at the end. Always helps fill-up the tummy. But it was six months of primal eating before I actually felt full. For the first time in my life. The food on my fork suddenly became unappetizing. A new, foreign way to stop eating for me. I used to stop eating when I felt my abdomen was distended sufficiently. So give it some time, as well as eating way more fat. 60% of my calories come from fat. It's definitely safe.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Dude, my guess, you are only 20. You might still be a growing boy with a teenage boy appetite. Just go with it.....
                I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

You might want to look at having three meals per day, as opposed to two. If your body is craving protein (which it obviously is), there are easier ways of getting it, mate.

Greek Yogurt - 19-26g of Protein per cup.
                  Eggs - 8-12g of Protein per egg (I forget the exact amount ATM).

Here's what I do:

Breakfast:
                  3 egg omelette
                  2 C. Greek Yogurt
                  2 C. Berries (Rader Farm makes a 5lb sack of Blueberries, Raspberries, Marionberries for like $8)

That should put you over 60g of protein at breakfast. Try swapping that out for whatever you normally have for breakfast and see if that'll cut down on your meat bill.

Having been in college, lemme give you a pointer: you can toss 3 eggs and fixings into a heavy-duty ziploc bag and place it into boiling water. 5 minutes later you have an omelette. Saves time + Dishes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second suggestion: Cowpool!

I'm currently trying to get together a group of guys to buy and butcher a cow. I found a place that'll sell me a grass fed cow for $2700. That comes out to 1500 lbs. of meat, 1200 lbs. of which is steak!

In essence, each person pays $270 and gets 120 lbs. of steak and 30lbs of ground beef... that's grass fed beef for under $2.00 a pound.

I'm sure if you look around, you can find people doing somethign similiar in your neck of the woods.

Comment

I second the digestive enzymes suggestion-sounds like your body isn't getting all the nutrients from the food you're taking in. I'd also try increasing carbs and fat at your two meals-that should help satiate you some...I would hope on the days you're lifting/playing football, you're getting much more than 60g of carbs?!
                    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                      Dude, my guess, you are only 20. You might still be a growing boy with a teenage boy appetite. Just go with it.....
                      I second this. You are supposed to be a bottomless pit at that age. Nothing pathological about it.

Comment

I'm also going to toss in that as a 25 year old male, there are some days when I am absolutely ravenous, this Friday past being the most recent occurrence.

Comment

Well I do carb refeeds every lifting day so that's every third day. I eat easily over 250 gs of carbs on those days and over 3000 calories. The issue is trying to satiate myself on only about 2000-2200 cals on rest days per the Leangains protocol. I would love to try adding more fat but that would put me over the calorie mark I want to be at. Any other suggestions?
                          Alex Peterson-
                          Nutritional Consultant

www.wholemusclegains.com

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoAP View Post
                            Well I do carb refeeds every lifting day so that's every third day. I eat easily over 250 gs of carbs on those days and over 3000 calories. The issue is trying to satiate myself on only about 2000-2200 cals on rest days per the Leangains protocol. I would love to try adding more fat but that would put me over the calorie mark I want to be at. Any other suggestions?
                            If you replace some of the meat with fat, it won't put your over the calorie mark. Protein alone doesn't fill me up, but combined w/fat it does.
                            $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Working...
                            X