Finally! Peeling fresh harboiled eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally! Peeling fresh harboiled eggs

So, I love hardboiled eggs, but eggs never last long enough in my fridge to age the week or so they need to be easily peelable when hardboiled. Peeling super fresh eggs is such a pain!!! Anyway, I Googled it the other day and found a tip that totally works. After you hard boil them, drain the water out of the pot then shake the eggs in the pot vigorously, so they get a little cracked all over. Then dump them into a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. Voila! East to peel, FRESH hardboiled eggs! So yummy with just a little salt and pepper. Mmm.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

It's like a primal "Hints from Heloise" column.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

Comment

very good. i had much trouble peeling eggs, but now this will save me good time and brain strength

Comment

Thank you for sharing! Will it work on the soft-boiled ones?
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          Thank you for sharing! Will it work on the soft-boiled ones?
          how do you define soft-boiled?

soft-boiled, this is when you crack the fresh egg and dump it into a pot with water, and some vinegar added.

Comment

Good tip - I was just struggling with fresh hardboiled eggs this morning.
            Character is defined by what you do when no one else is looking.

Comment

This is the only way I store boiled eggs anymore. So much easier and quicker, just store them in a plastic bag as needed in the fridge.

Comment

To peel, I just tap them against each other, end to end and then roll them on a counter-top to make cracks. Definitely run them under some cool water, it helps to separate the shell from the rest of the egg (or so I'm told and it works pretty well for me).
                Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks for sharing this tip!!!

Comment

Not sure about soft-boiled -- as long as the white is firm like in a hard boiled egg, I think it would be fine. You just need to be able to get under the skin that the shell is attached to. Shocking it in the cold water with the shell cracked loosens the skin from the white. If you get it really good you can peel off like half the shell in one go!

Glad this was helpful to some people, I certainly never knew this trick.
                    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Originally posted by vontrapp
                    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
                    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

Comment

I used to have hassles peeling eggs but if you just tip the water out that they boiled in immediately without any shaking and add cold tap water let sit a while it works too.

Comment

One of the girls here was a chef or a sous chef (it was a while ago, so I forget) and she said a great, easy way is to steam them instead of boiling them.

Put them in a vegetable steamer in a pot and fill the pot to near the bottom of the steamer with water. Cover the pot, turn on the flame and immediately set the timer for 20 minutes (BEFORE it heats up or anything). When the timer goes off, shut off the heat and cool the eggs.

I haven't had a single egg that was hard to peel since I started cooking them this way months ago.
                        Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
                          how do you define soft-boiled?

soft-boiled, this is when you crack the fresh egg and dump it into a pot with water, and some vinegar added.
                          Hmm, always known that as poached.
                          Soft-boiled is where the egg is boiled in the shell, but the yolk is still runny rather than hard
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                            Hmm, always known that as poached.
                            Soft-boiled is where the egg is boiled in the shell, but the yolk is still runny rather than hard
                            This ^
                            Durp.

Comment

I make hb eggs every day at work, and I find the only variable the really matters is temperature. Bathe them in ice water for 5-10 minutes and they should peel easily.
                              The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X