IF vs Leptin Reset

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF vs Leptin Reset

IF vs Leptin Reset, what are your thought on the two, or between the two for weight loss? I started the LR but find it difficult to eat breakfast and 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

Thank you.

I feel as though the leptin reset is based on pseudoscience. The leptin reset works because it limits calories. You can't "reset" leptin eating low carbs. There is absolutely no scientific data that supports that.

IF works for some but not for everyone. I personally IF daily similar to the leangains approach (16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window). It works for me to keep cravings down.

Comment

I find it very natural to eat no breakfast or a small breakfast, and very unnatural to force-feed myself 50g of protein I don't feel like eating within 30 minutes of getting up. So I do what feels good for me and just have coffee until lunchtime. Then I get to eat 1.5x as much per meal, too. Win-win.

It certainly hasn't hurt my gains in the gym or my energy levels, and I think I am slowly dropping fat again for the first time in a long while. But that could be the reintroduction of starch and the carb cycling, too. I changed too many variables at once to be sure.

I also think Jack Kruse is a crazy person. He certainly writes like one.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I eat a big Dr. K style breakfast at 9 and a smaller dinner at 5 which is 16/8 so technically I am doing both the Leptin reset and the leangains IF. But I don't do either one because the guru of the week told me to. I have always loved big breakfasts. Some people don't. To each his/her own on that. One piece of advice that Dr. K gives out that did really help though was the no snackage between meals rule. Yes, the man is badly in need of an editor but he does have some good things to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Tee View Post
          IF vs Leptin Reset, what are your thought on the two, or between the two for weight loss? I started the LR but find it difficult to eat breakfast and 50 grams of protein first thing in the morning.

Thank you.
          IF. IF + exercise seems to be optimal. IF + exercise + frequent calorie defecit seems to work for a lot of people in terms of weight (fat) loss.
          Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

One thing to consider: if you think you're leptin resistant, IF'ing will likely not be successful for you (although Dr. Kruse recommends it after regaining leptin sensitivity). I hope that helps your decision
            http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

The Leptin Reset is intended as a 6-8 week leptin prescription involving the forcing of 50g of protein @ breakfast. Afterwards, once you're leptin is 'reset', then you don't have to eat 50g protein at breakfast. Most will continue to eat a protein focused breakfast. You can then IF after you complete the leptin prescription (Dr K recommends skipping lunch or dinner rather than breakfast).

where as IF (in the terms of say skipping breakfast) appears to be something people do whenever they feel like it, or daily, or listening to their bodies or when its convenient to skip meals or whatever.

Also with the leptin reset, its recommended to eat breakfast and dinner 10-12 hours apart. Lunch ideally in the middle (6 hours after lunch/before dinner). Which means you're technically fasting/IF for 12-14 hours anyway between dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Some who do IF may graze all day during their 'feeding' window, shovelling as much in as possible. Leptin reset recommends no snacking. Just 2-3 meals a day.
              My primal journal
              25yo female, height 5'7"
              goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
              goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
              ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

Who's to say leptin resistance, if you have it, isn't being corrected by a primal/paleo diet? Art De Vany was asked if Dr Kruse was correct about not IFing until leptin resistance was dealt with and he didn't agree at all. From what I can see Kruse isn't basing that on the literature but on personal experience, so make your own call. My "leptin resistance symptoms" went away after following paleo as per De Vany's scheme but with a bit more fat a la primal). He advises to eat when you want, say 2 or 3 meals a day, fasting once a week, but as per leptin reset advice only eating at meal times, and not eating your evening meal late. That was enough for me to deal with the features of leptin resistance, as they're described (how much they're due to insulin resistance or other factors I don't know - nor does Dr Kruse I'd venture; the models we develop aren't usually able to describe the real complexity of our bodies). At worst it took a bit longer than it could have done on a different approach, but the artficiality of stuffing 50g of protein into yourself on rising doesn't appeal to the easygoing paleo/primal approach I actually enjoy...
                The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
                (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
                (Arthur De Vany)

Comment

Different strokes for different folks.

Once again, there is no right way to 'do' paleo or primal. It's up to each individual to find what works for them. Like some others on here, I do not enjoy eating a large breakfast so soon after waking. I prefer to wait until 5-6hrs after waking for my first meal, and I eat two big meals a day with no snacking. Also, I wouldn't want to avoid eating in the evening as some recommend. My last meal is normall between 7-8pm, sometimes later if I get stuck at work. I wouldn't be satisfied if I had to skip that.

I think both IF and the leptin reset have good points and will work for people, although the leptin dogma on this board is ridiculous sometimes. But people are just enthusiastic about their results, so good on them.

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                    One thing to consider: if you think you're leptin resistant, IF'ing will likely not be successful for you (although Dr. Kruse recommends it after regaining leptin sensitivity). I hope that helps your decision
                    Agree. IF will be more damaging than good if you are LR. I can IF now, but only since I became LS with the reset.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                      Agree. IF will be more damaging than good if you are LR. I can IF now, but only since I became LS with the reset.
                      Do you have any research on this? I am very overweight and have been doing very well on IF. In fact I have never heard of an overweight person not doing well on IF, as long as they can stick to it.

Comment

According to Dr Kruse's website, these are the things you will notice when you are no longer leptin resistant:

Changes in appearance: Your hair and nails will improve in color and presentation. Your pedicurist will notice you have less dead skin on your feet. Your face will look a lot better, with softer skin and better color, especially if you use olive oil or coconut oil on your skin.

Changes in mood, personality, and thoughts: You will become more thoughtful, more mindful, and less explosive in explosive environments. If you decide to add mindfulness to your reset, (you should) you will notice tremendous changes in your thinking and your ability to learn and comprehend things. Your insight, intuition, and mental acuity will be sharper. Also, your sexual desires will change and your libido will awaken. Your spouse will begin to notice things and treat you differently.

Changes in appetite: Your carbohydrate cravings will go away. You’ll feel full and not really need to eat three meals a day. You’ll notice your taste and smell change.

Changes in energy and sleep: Over 6-12 months, expect your energy to gradually improve. You will feel warmer and exude body heat, but your body temperature will actually be lower. It will continue to trend lower over the next 18-24 months while you thyroid settles into its new biologic groove. Dramatic improvements will be made in your sleep. Both migraines and muscle soreness from exercise will decrease.

Just losing weight, stopping eating junk, and to some extent the placebo effect will bring about all of these effects. I have been eating breakfast about 4-5 hours after I wake up and have been including quite a bit of white bread in my diet multiple times a day and have noticed all these changes. I guess my plan "reset my leptin." The leptin reset is not based on science. It works because it limits calories.

This study was done on rats but shows that leptin resistance is reversible by eating a healthy diet and losing weight.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/...50413107000368

Eating low carb is NOT the way to improve leptin. IF anything the opposite is true. Look at the 72 hour refeed thread for actual leptin resets based on science.
                        Last edited by jimhensen; 10-20-2011, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                          I eat a big Dr. K style breakfast at 9 and a smaller dinner at 5 which is 16/8 so technically I am doing both the Leptin reset and the leangains IF. But I don't do either one because the guru of the week told me to. I have always loved big breakfasts. Some people don't. To each his/her own on that. One piece of advice that Dr. K gives out that did really help though was the no snackage between meals rule. Yes, the man is badly in need of an editor but he does have some good things to say.
                          Yeh but the no snackage between meals is not Dr Ks it's a normal paleo/primal rule.

JimHensen I tend to agree with you.
                          Last edited by Sue; 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM.

Comment

wow thats exactly what i was looking for when i wrote to the huge leptin rx thread.
                            sooo i'm not a crazy person or a looser just because i can't handle a 50gr. protein breakfast 30 min. after i get out the bed.

if i IF i feel fine until lunch and then eat. if i eat 30-40gr. of protein, after feeling sick and horrible i get low blood sugar problems 3-4h after eating. it just don't make sense to me doing something that makes me feel sick and cranky... oh and i should stop lifting weights for 8 weeks? no way! ;-)

7/14: 156 lbs.
                            weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
                            7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

Comment

I don’t get the Leptin thing. It really seems like the flavor of the day. What happens once you are “reset”, and then you get “unset” again? From the beginning of time people have lost and gained weight. Up and until very recently this was control almost entirely by Mother Nature. I understand Leptin is a significant hormone, but your body simply cannot gain weight (setting aside fluid retention) in the absence of calories. Period. If you don’t eat for a period of time (IF) your body must feed on itself. Simple, but not easy (at least not at the beginning, however, most folks who IF note that after the initial adjustment it feels more natural and easy than any other way of eating).

Comment

Working...
                              X