Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to increase omega-3's in my situation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to increase omega-3's in my situation?

I'm in college and I get most of my food from the dining halls. It's good stuff, plenty of veggies and its really easy to eat primal. The only thing off is my omega 6:3 ratio...

My ratio is probably not horrible because I avoid things that are obviously cooked in (probably canola) oil, but I definantly feel like my omega-3's should be beefed up a bit. They rarley serve seafood. They have tuna but it's already mixed wih a buttload of mayo.

So i'm thinking I'm gonna have to buy something from the supermarket, but i'm not sure what.

What would be the cheapest source of omega-3's I can stock up on? My nutrition teacher reccomended a handful of mixed nuts everyday, but I know that most nuts have a bad ratio.

What about tuna or sardines? Should they be packed in water? usually they're packed in sunflower or olive oil or something.

Canned wild salmon would be a good choice. It's easy to find packed in just water. In fact, I don't think I have found it any other way.

Comment

how often should I eat a can, everday or a few times a week?

Comment

I eat fish (salmon - which I loathe) once or twice a week (about 300g each time). With not consuming vegetable oils, but still eating a handful of nuts every couple days, my o63 ratio is about 3:1. As long as the canned salmon is pacific, wild caught you are ok. If it's Atlantic wild it's still considered farm raised (for our purposes) because the salmon are fed by humans before they are caught, most of the time at least.
        People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
          As long as the canned salmon is pacific, wild caught you are ok. If it's Atlantic wild it's still considered farm raised (for our purposes).
          +1. Look for Wild Alaskan salmon. I try to eat fish twice a week.

If you are dining in a dining hall, it is fair to assume that your meat is cooked in vegetable oils, so you may want to supplement with high-quality cod liver oil as well.

Comment

yeah i'll hit up a supermarket and see whatsup with cod liver oil...hopefully the taste will be worth the health benifits

Comment

Originally posted by milkycereal View Post
              yeah i'll hit up a supermarket and see whatsup with cod liver oil...hopefully the taste will be worth the health benifits
              I use Garden of Life. It's not too bad, even my kids don't mind the taste.

Comment

King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil are the best, IMO. Very tasty and inexpensive.

I'm not a fan of canned salmon, but that's my personal taste.

A good cod liver oil lasts a while and is economical.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                  King Oscar brisling sardines in olive oil are the best, IMO. Very tasty and inexpensive.
                  How much are they in your neck of the woods? They're around 3 bucks/can here I think, while regular sardines are closer to $1/can. The best bang for your buck that I've found in the canned fish department is canned mackerel.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                    How much are they in your neck of the woods? They're around 3 bucks/can here I think, while regular sardines are closer to $1/can. The best bang for your buck that I've found in the canned fish department is canned mackerel.
                    Costco has them on sale right now, $1.50 each in a 4-pack, usually $2 each.

Some brands of sardines are just... blecch.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                      Costco has them on sale right now, $1.50 each in a 4-pack, usually $2 each.

Some brands of sardines are just... blecch.
                      Agreed. I don't absolutely love the ones I buy regularly. I tried the King Oscar and they are definitely tastier. But I'm pretty cheap, so I get the cheap ones, haha. I'll have to look for them at the discount store.

Also, maybe not necessary since everyone is recommending fish, but Chris Kresser did a post on why fish oil doesn't work as well as eating fish for improving your health: http://chriskresser.com/the-fish-vs-fish-oil-smackdown
                      Last edited by yodiewan; 10-18-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Mackerel is one of my favorites of the canned oily fish from a taste perspective, but isn't as common as sardines, so you may end up paying a tad more. I get exotic canned fish from the imports section, availability will vary based on what ethnicities are common locally

South asian/Filipino & Chinese markets often have lots, they're common in Caribbean cuisine, and I suspect you'd find a variety in areas with a strong Scandinavian/european presence (beware pickled fish tho lol)

That, and herring fillets. Maybe I'm lucky being a Canadian, but boneless herring fillets ("kippers") are a commonly stocked item up here, with major supermarkets carrying a couple brands under $2 (Brunswick being most common) and multiple flavors of each. Barely any odor of fish at all, with a consistency slightly more oily than canned tuna (I suspect would go great mixed 50/50)
                        Last edited by Fury; 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I know this is silly, but what do you eat sardines with? My dad loves them, but he eats them on toast. To start with, I'd rather not eat them plain since the fish-in-a-can thing kind of skeeves me.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            I know this is silly, but what do you eat sardines with? My dad loves them, but he eats them on toast. To start with, I'd rather not eat them plain since the fish-in-a-can thing kind of skeeves me.
                            Some nice stone-ground mustard is a favourite in our home.
                            Kane's Eye View

Primal Kane

Comment

When I was first starting to eat sardines, I sometimes made a mayo-based salad like tuna salad: mayo, celery, onion, etc. Now I just eat them plain or with mustard like Kane suggested. I've also dusted them with curry powder and I remember seeing a recipe posted on this forum a long time ago for a recipe for a sardine curry.

Comment

Working...
                              X