Mayo alternative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo alternative

Most all of the recipes that I have tried either from the forum or Mark's books have been outstanding. The one thing that I cannot get to taste good is the recipe for mayonaise. I have tried the recipes from the regular cook book and the 30 minutes or less book, but it tastes aweful. Any suggestions?

Yea, use regular mayo. It won't kill you unless you down it by the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
      Yea, use regular mayo. It won't kill you unless you down it by the bottle.
      +1 I suck at making mayo
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

I use the recipe on the Everyday Paleo web site. For oil I use the Trader Joes regular (not EV) Olive oil. I like the taste WAY better than commercial mayo. I was surprised at how easy it was to make. It's FABULOUS mixed with minced garlic.... (drool)

LG

Check out my blog about a post-menopausal woman's Paleo journey. Includes recipes, reviews, links to interesting research, and musings about the journey. http://paleopassage.com

Comment

I like this method of making homemade mayo. Incredibly simple.

The Food Lab: Homemade Mayo In 2 Minutes Or Less (Video) | Serious Eats

Comment

The choice of oil makes a big difference. So far my favorites for flavor have been almond and avocado. I think avocado is a healthier choice, though.

Comment

I am not a mayo fan and have no interest, but I remembered seeing this some time back and thought I'd share it...I obviously can't vouch for it.

Mary Dan Eades, M.D. » The Mayo clinic

Comment

I used this recipe from Everday Paleo-
                Homemade Paleo Mayo Cooking Demo!! | Everyday Paleo

I made it my 1st weekend after going primal and it turned out great! I then used some of it to make ranch dressing and a lemon/garlic sauce for salmon, delish

Comment

I like this method of making homemade mayo. Incredibly simple.

The Food Lab: Homemade Mayo In 2 Minutes Or Less (Video) | Serious Eats

Scothncoffee, Thanks for sharing the link - Homemade Mayo in 2 minutes, it looks easy enough - I think I'll give it it a go -

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will give these a try. I think that I poured the oil to fast and it was extra virgin. I will try a different type thanks.

Comment

I like my mayo, but found that a half mayo/half Fage yogurt mixture tastes awesome, I can't tell much of a difference, especially in tuna. Now I use mostly just Fage, with a little scoop of mayo, probably more mental than anything.

Comment

Try using avocado that's been mashed until it's smooth (goes great in canned tuna or salmon). When I was a sandwich eater, I loved spreading them with hummus and baba ghanoush, but I don't what primal context those would work in aside from salads.
                        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

I guess it depends on what you are using the mayo for.....I have used full fat Fage Greek Yogurt to replace mayo in tuna/salmon salad. I wouldn't put this on my burger though!
                          My Blog: Healthy Living How To
                          sigpic

Comment

I second the opinions that the kind of oil matters. Macadamia oil is nice. Olive oil can have too strong of a taste, so probably not the best one.

on a side note, I am so jealous of people who can eat avocado! I am allergic, but love it! Gives me horrific stomach cramps, though

Comment

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
                              Try using avocado that's been mashed until it's smooth (goes great in canned tuna or salmon). When I was a sandwich eater, I loved spreading them with hummus and baba ghanoush, but I don't what primal context those would work in aside from salads.
                              Avocados also work well to make egg salad. Add a little pico de gallo. Nom.

I'm so sorry that Heather can't enjoy avocados but I guess that just leaves more for the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X