Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horrifying sugar cravings... three weeks in??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrifying sugar cravings... three weeks in??

Hi everyone,

I've been following the PB for 3 weeks or so. The only cheats I've had have been two glasses of red wine (on different days) and a couple of pieces of dark chocolate. Otherwise, carbs at or below 100g, NO GRAINS or legumes (except a few chick peas by accident at the start)... following things pretty closely.

Right at this moment, I'm having such a heavy sugar craving I think my head is going to pop off. WHAT IS GOING ON!? I thought these were supposed to fade as the first 30 days passed?!!! This is misery. I almost ate a scone this morning... almost ate a muffin... almost ate a cinnamon bun. (And the funny thing is, even before PB, I wouldn't probably have given those items much of a thought anyway.)

Why is this happening NOW? I would have thought the worst of the withdrawal would have happened right off the start.

Has anyone else had this experience?

K

I've been through this, too. My first week of primal - no big deal. Weeks 3-4 ~ holy crap, did I want bread, cookies, cake, crackers (I adore crackers), etc. and felt discouraged because I was "supposed" to not have such strong cravings, based on what I'd read. All I can say is everyone is different and I think what you're experiencing is entirely normal . . . . and temporary. Granted, when my cravings were at their strongest, I gave in one day & had a veggie sub from Subway. And it was the best sandwich I'd ever eaten in my entire life! I was afraid that would set me back, but instead, I was able to re-focus the next day. No guilt, no bloat, no upset tummy ~ and the cravings piped down, too.
    Not saying you have to 'indulge,' just sharing my experience and two cents. Hang in there ~ you'll be fine.

Comment

Try sweet potatoes.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

get some truvia, or stevia, and some heavy whipping cream and cocoa powder and make a fatty mousse

your tongue will taste sweet, your stomach will get full on the fat

i've been there things like this helped big time
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          Try sweet potatoes.
          +1. Sweet potatoes are a great way of getting some good carbs in. I've found they neutralize most cravings that come.

Comment

Originally posted by Pheebie View Post
            I've been through this, too. My first week of primal - no big deal. Weeks 3-4 ~ holy crap, did I want bread, cookies, cake, crackers (I adore crackers), etc. and felt discouraged because I was "supposed" to not have such strong cravings, based on what I'd read.
            Well, I did expect some cravings but I figured they would be at the very start. Why they're coming at week 3, I don't get it!! But then again, I guess people don't necessarily go through the withdrawal immediately -- like anything, I guess your body has to realize that it's not getting it anymore before it starts the freakout.

I don't want to indulge in anything unauthorized, though... I want that fat-burning switch to flip. Wouldn't it be awesome if the cravings meant your body is turning the corner and heading into that coveted perfect fat burning zone??? Man. I wish the body was simple and obvious like that.

Actually... I mean, I'm seriously just flying by the seat of my pants here, but this just occurred to me (and if anyone out there with the scientific knowledge to answer this can chime in, I'd love that): if the body is used to burning sugar/carbs as its fuel source and then you take those sources away, I would imagine the body has to use up what it has before it flips to burning fat. Yes? So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the cravings are a function of the body running out of that source?? I dunno, totally a guess from an uneducated follower here.

Bloodorchid: I've tried, it's not working!!!!!!!!

Comment

kimmy,

Check out this link carefully:
              MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by KimmyBabs View Post
                Well, I did expect some cravings but I figured they would be at the very start. Why they're coming at week 3, I don't get it!! But then again, I guess people don't necessarily go through the withdrawal immediately -- like anything, I guess your body has to realize that it's not getting it anymore before it starts the freakout.

I don't want to indulge in anything unauthorized, though... I want that fat-burning switch to flip. Wouldn't it be awesome if the cravings meant your body is turning the corner and heading into that coveted perfect fat burning zone??? Man. I wish the body was simple and obvious like that.

Actually... I mean, I'm seriously just flying by the seat of my pants here, but this just occurred to me (and if anyone out there with the scientific knowledge to answer this can chime in, I'd love that): if the body is used to burning sugar/carbs as its fuel source and then you take those sources away, I would imagine the body has to use up what it has before it flips to burning fat. Yes? So, wouldn't it stand to reason that the cravings are a function of the body running out of that source?? I dunno, totally a guess from an uneducated follower here.

Bloodorchid: I've tried, it's not working!!!!!!!!
                I once saw someone on here describe sugar cravings as your body sending the message "eat sugar now or die!" to your brain. I would guess that cravings do have something to do with your body running out of its 'preferred' fuel. I get sugar cravings usually a day or two after intense exercise if I didn't replenish glycogen (hence the sweet potatoes). If you do a lot of exercise, make sure you replenish that energy. Eating clean carbs from fruit and sweet potatoes is better than crashing later on cake and pizza (speaking from experience!).

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
                  I get sugar cravings usually a day or two after intense exercise if I didn't replenish glycogen (hence the sweet potatoes). If you do a lot of exercise, make sure you replenish that energy. Eating clean carbs from fruit and sweet potatoes is better than crashing later on cake and pizza (speaking from experience!).
                  Unfortunately, I'm not able to do a ton of exercise -- I'm still recovering from lead poisoning (and the resulting candida) so I'm somewhat limited. But I've just started lifting heavy things 3x per week! So, soon, I will hopefully be exercising a lot. For now, it's a little bit.

In any case, I HOPE it's my body running out of the crappy fuel... boy oh boy, do I hope so. Because that means we're getting into fat burning time! Love it!!

I think I WILL make some sweet potato with dinner tonight, though. Just a little bit. For now, though, I would gnaw off my own arm if it was made of flour. *sigh* Cravings, go away! I don't want to want that poison!!

Comment

Unfortunately, I'm not able to do a ton of exercise -- I'm still recovering from lead poisoning (and the resulting candida) so I'm somewhat limited. But I've just started lifting heavy things 3x per week! So, soon, I will hopefully be exercising a lot. For now, it's a little bit.

In any case, I HOPE it's my body running out of the crappy fuel... boy oh boy, do I hope so. Because that means we're getting into fat burning time! Love it!!

I think I WILL make some sweet potato with dinner tonight, though. Just a little bit. For now, though, I would gnaw off my own arm if it was made of flour. *sigh* Cravings, go away! I don't want to want that poison!!
                    I admire the persistence! Just keep holding out and you'll do fine. Also, are you eating plenty of fat to make up for it?

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
                      +1. Sweet potatoes are a great way of getting some good carbs in. I've found they neutralize most cravings that come.
                      +2!

KimmyBabs: check out my recipe for Sweet Potato "Chips" in the recipes forum. I made them last night after a really emotional day (which is when my sugar cravings kick in the hardest), and I felt better within MINUTES. I'm also about 3 weeks in (more like a month really), and I've had a few really strong cravings for sweets- especially walking past the Cinnabon at the mall... i swear they put crack in those things. O_O The cravings do eventually go away, but if they don't, remember Mark's 80/20 rule. It really helps to ease the guilt and feelings of "failure" by giving in just a *little* to keep from losing your sanity. Also remember that stress plays a role in your overall health, so stressing yourself out by denying your heart what it's asking for will do far more damage than a bite or two of something you're not "supposed" to have. Case in point: I fully intend to eat the hell out of some pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving; I just won't be eating the crust. That way, I won't resent my family for being "able" to have it, and I won't resent my new lifestyle by denying myself one of my favorite things about that holiday. It's personal for everyone though, just do your best not to slip back into old habits if you do decide to jump off the wagon for a bit. Hang in there, and keep dropping in on the forums; it's a great place for support! =)
                      "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

Comment

I suffered as well and still do sometimes! My first few weeks were a breeze then I had a while of wanting every sugary thing going. I'm coming up on three months in and the cravings are getting much better but they still get me sometimes.

Certain things trigger my cravings. Fruit is a big one for me. I'll only have a small piece as a treat very occasionally now because of that. A food diary can help identify triggers if you log mood etc as well.

I've found that having a couple of almonds seems to cut my sugar cravings substantially. So much so that I keep an air-tight box of them at work for when cravings kick in and the cake table is full! Tea helps as well - I love green tea and rooibus tea and find they can both help with cravings although not as well as the almonds. Rooibus tea with coconut milk is a brilliant hot chocolate substitute when you want something cosy and warm

Interestingly, since I've recently started doing a regular 18/6 or 16/8 intermittent fast my sugar cravings have dramatically decreased. I tend to eat two meals a day and rarely get snackish in between. IF didn't work for me early on though - I tried it once or twice and felt pretty rough. I only started again when I realised that I was eating breakfast because I felt I should rather than because I was hungry. I'm guessing that the decrease in appetite (and hence successful IF) is due to changes in fat metabolism etc which may also be responsible for decreasing my sugar cravings. I've found recently that I've got a higher tolerance for food that used to cause cravings the next day, particularly when I IF the next morning. I'm not sure what the cause and effects are but I like it

Anyway, the whole point of that was to say stick with it and it will get better!

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                          kimmy,

Check out this link carefully:
                          MY LEPTIN PRESCRIPTION | Jack Kruse

Grizz
                          Read it. Thank you, that's helpful to look at!

Here's what I'm doing right:
                          1) Breakfast as soon as possible upon rising.
                          2) Three meals/day, very little (almost no) snacking.
                          3) Using butter, olive oil, etc., with most carbs.

Here's what I'm doing wrong:
                          1) I've been having an apple, nuts, and celery for breakfast. I'll change that to meat (I'm allergic to eggs) and coconut milk/oil.
                          2) I'm eating around 100g of carbs/day. According to the Leptin Reset, that's way too much -- even though the bulk of my carbs are coming from vegetables/fruit. (I can live without the fruit if I have to for a bit.) I've been using olive oil on salads... I'll attempt to use more coconut oil instead.

How do you know that your leptin IS reset? He talks about doing the re-set diet for about 6-8 weeks.

He also talks about macronutrients not mattering when your leptin is re-set, nor do calories. But I have to assume when he says macros don't matter, it DOESN'T mean you can eat 100% carbs and be fine. Right?

Comment

Read it. Thank you, that's helpful to look at!

Here's what I'm doing right:
                            1) Breakfast as soon as possible upon rising.
                            2) Three meals/day, very little (almost no) snacking.
                            3) Using butter, olive oil, etc., with most carbs.

Here's what I'm doing wrong:
                            1) I've been having an apple, nuts, and celery for breakfast. I'll change that to meat (I'm allergic to eggs) and coconut milk/oil.
                            2) I'm eating around 100g of carbs/day. According to the Leptin Reset, that's way too much -- even though the bulk of my carbs are coming from vegetables/fruit. (I can live without the fruit if I have to for a bit.) I've been using olive oil on salads... I'll attempt to use more coconut oil instead.

How do you know that your leptin IS reset? He talks about doing the re-set diet for about 6-8 weeks.

He also talks about macronutrients not mattering when your leptin is re-set, nor do calories. But I have to assume when he says macros don't matter, it DOESN'T mean you can eat 100% carbs and be fine. Right?
                            Hi Kimmy

If you need to lose weight don't eat more than 25 g carbs; don't need to lose weight can eat up to 50g carbs
                            Eat most of your carbs at bkfst and lunch

Dr. Kruse likes avocado oil or macadamia nut oil for salads better than olive oil.
                            You know when your leptin is reset when you are consistently:
                            sleeping well
                            moods are even and stable
                            no or little cravings for sugary things or carbs; don't think about food all the time
                            not sore after exercise
                            libido is increased
                            body temp runs warm (kicking off covers at night)
                            start feeling full earlier at meals and begin to naturally cut back portion size; although he always wants you to have a BAB (big ass bkfst)
                            Indigogirl

Comment

How is your fat intake? I start to crave things more if my fat intake drops.
                              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                              X