X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found an "outsider's" support...

8 Reasons Wheat is Making You Gain | Fitbie

let me know what y'all think!
    "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

I just saw that too - and I finished reading 'wheat belly' this weekend

I think it's great that the info is out there - millions of people have MSN.COM as their homepage....and there it is!

Now to get people to stop eating it!

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

great article~I am going to show it to my husband! Thanks for posting it!

Comment

That is indeed a good sign! But I don't see people giving up pizza and bagels any time soon - even if CW tells them to.

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
          That is indeed a good sign! But I don't see people giving up pizza and bagels any time soon - even if CW tells them to.
          Sad, but too true. I went on a walk to raise diabetes awareness this past weekend (in support of a co-worker's son; I don't actually support the ADA), and one of the free snacks at the event was (get ready for it).... bagels. Yes, BAGELS. At a DIABETES AWARENESS EVENT. My eyebrows went into my hairline. You'd think of all the places in the world where knowledge of the effect food has on insulin levels would be of utmost crucial importance, it would be at a gathering of many hundreds of diabetics. Sadly, no such luck. <sighs heavily>
          "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." -Virginia Woolf

Comment

Originally posted by Siren View Post
            Sad, but too true. I went on a walk to raise diabetes awareness this past weekend (in support of a co-worker's son; I don't actually support the ADA), and one of the free snacks at the event was (get ready for it).... bagels. Yes, BAGELS. At a DIABETES AWARENESS EVENT. My eyebrows went into my hairline. You'd think of all the places in the world where knowledge of the effect food has on insulin levels would be of utmost crucial importance, it would be at a gathering of many hundreds of diabetics. Sadly, no such luck. <sighs heavily>
            That is very sad indeed! It's an uphill battle, but we'll keep fighting . The main problem in my opinion is mass ignorance. People genuinely believe there's nothing wrong with consuming vast quantities of grains. The next major problem is unwillingness to change. Most of the people I explain my diet to eventually come to the conclusion it sounds logical and healthy but then say something like "I couldn't do it", I'm sure you've been there. Keep spreading the word and eventually it'll sink in. I hope you shouted those exact words at the event haha. It would've certainly roused some debate!

Comment

Originally posted by Siren View Post
              OMG - that's sure discouraging. My dad has type 2 diabetes, and I've tried to talk to him and my mom about giving up grains, and they just won't hear of it. He eats whole wheat toast and oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, desserts any old time he's in the mood. He basically eats whatever he wants and just shoots up the right amount of insulin to deal with his blood sugar levels. When he crashes (which is frequent), he often reaches for a big glass of OJ or a scoop of ice cream to bring his blood sugar back up.

I echo your heavy sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
                That is very sad indeed! It's an uphill battle, but we'll keep fighting . The main problem in my opinion is mass ignorance. People genuinely believe there's nothing wrong with consuming vast quantities of grains. The next major problem is unwillingness to change. Most of the people I explain my diet to eventually come to the conclusion it sounds logical and healthy but then say something like "I couldn't do it", I'm sure you've been there. Keep spreading the word and eventually it'll sink in. I hope you shouted those exact words at the event haha. It would've certainly roused some debate!
                People don't think there's anything wrong with eating grains because they've been told (and still currently are told) that grains are healthy. I'm not sure how it is in the UK but here in America all ads on TV push grains on people. Breakfast cereals, 'natural' granola products, etc... the message pushed by the media is "whole grains are life giving" basically, so for people to hear otherwise is very shocking and they don't feel confident enough to drop them in the face of such advertising.
                I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

It's pretty easy, actually. Ask somebody to identify who told them that whole grains were healthy. They'll almost immediately realize it was advertising.
                  Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by duckmama View Post
                    OMG - that's sure discouraging. My dad has type 2 diabetes, and I've tried to talk to him and my mom about giving up grains, and they just won't hear of it. He eats whole wheat toast and oatmeal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, desserts any old time he's in the mood. He basically eats whatever he wants and just shoots up the right amount of insulin to deal with his blood sugar levels. When he crashes (which is frequent), he often reaches for a big glass of OJ or a scoop of ice cream to bring his blood sugar back up.

I echo your heavy sigh.
                    Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. I doubt his doctor has explained to him why he has Type II in the first place =( If only the medical world would get on board with the truth about grains... I really hope your father sees the light before things become worse for him.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                      People don't think there's anything wrong with eating grains because they've been told (and still currently are told) that grains are healthy. I'm not sure how it is in the UK but here in America all ads on TV push grains on people. Breakfast cereals, 'natural' granola products, etc... the message pushed by the media is "whole grains are life giving" basically, so for people to hear otherwise is very shocking and they don't feel confident enough to drop them in the face of such advertising.
                      I think you're allowing people too much leeway here. Sure, advertising ingrains ideas in people's minds, but if a better alternative presents itself they should immediately discard what they believed in, no matter how hard that may be. Heck, isn't that why we're here? Because we heard about primal/paleo and immediately accepted its beliefs? Saying people are over-influenced by advertising is just giving them an excuse to fail.

In the UK advertising also pushes heavily towards grains, but not quite as heavily as in the US I believe.

Comment

When you see information like this: (From Rob Wolf's site)

It all started as an idea – an idea that turned into Robb’s Angels’ debut mission. Last Sunday and Monday the Angels set out to make some waves at this years American Dietetic Association (ADA) Conference in San Diego. (As an aside the Association will be changing its name to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics effective January 2012.) Our main goal at the conference was to generate interest in the paleo lifestyle and gain some allies in our fight for optimal health through nutrition. (Here is a link to the mission details.) We set out not sure what to expect. Would we be laughed at, yelled at, loved, hated, or just flat out ignored?

We entered the expo hall on Sunday morning ready for anything. We were greeted by a banner showcasing all of the major sponsors. Things were looking grim – but we weren’t scared. I mean really, we’re Robb’s Angels; Coke, Pepsi, and Whole Grains don’t stand a chance… We continued on to our booth passing the ‘Sweet N’ Low’, General Mills, Kellogg’s and Nestle emporiums (seriously, they had some MAJOR exhibits – HUGE!!!)....

You can read more on his site, but the important thing to note is the sponsors at the ADA conference - those same people that are causing the disease in the first place. CW, I think not. It's the bucks baby, it's all about the bucks.
                        Height - 5'8"
                        SW - 191
                        CW - 162
                        GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Comment

You guys realize that it isn't just advertising that says whole grains are healthy, it is the American government, American Heart Association, and I am sure a large number of other groups dedicated to health. They do have studies that seem to back them up though.

Comment

They have studies that show that eating whole grains is generally better than eating refined and processed grains. They also have studies that show an association between people eating diets high in whole grains and health when compared to people who eat a lot of "red meat" AKA hotdogs and hamburgers on white bread buns.

Association =/= causation.

Comment

Glad to see this, but I believe it will take A LOT more of this kind of coverage before many people pay it any attention. How many times have we heard that eggs were good for you/bad for you, that oat bran cured all diseases, blah blah blah. People feel like it changes so often that they discredit most media health reports and do what they want, or what their personal trainer tells them to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X