lunches on hikes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lunches on hikes

So any of y'all have some good ideas on what to prep for lunches when hiking? I mean, the assumption is something that has dead animal, veg, fat (burning mucho calories), but doesn't take up a lot of room or need refrigeration. Also, low sugar is good, as I'm a diabetic. Ideas?

--Me

Pure dead animal fat for the energy? Cook some organic lard or pastured beef fat and take it with you . I dunno about you but I think it's delicious, especially crackled pork fat. When I hike/mountain climb I don't get hungry but eat lunch anyway because other people take lunch, so I end up just taking a bit of fruit and a carrot or two, maybe a dip to go with it. I've never tried it, but maybe you could hard-boil eggs and take them? A few nuts as well? There are many possibilities! But my personal advice would be to save the stomach for an EPIC primal meal when you get home

Comment

i don't really eat when hiking anymore (unless it's going to be longer than 8-10 hours), but i still pack my bag with some nuts and beef jerky just in case...they're both great, protein and calorie dense foods that can give you a ton of energy when you need it. i also think hard boiled eggs are a terrific idea...yummy, healthy, great travel food.
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
        i don't really eat when hiking anymore (unless it's going to be longer than 8-10 hours), but i still pack my bag with some nuts and beef jerky just in case...they're both great, protein and calorie dense foods that can give you a ton of energy when you need it. i also think hard boiled eggs are a terrific idea...yummy, healthy, great travel food.
        +1. I've the nuts in there just in case I bottom out but it rarely happens. I don't like hiking while I'm digesting. Like mmsantos, I'd rather just have EPIC foods when I'm done. Everything tastes great after a long hike!

Comment

Ok, I appreciate people jumping in. But my question isn't "Do you guys eat lunch when hiking?" I mean, I'm glad to get feedback, but... :-D

So I'm going to rephrase the request to this: "For those of you who like to have a lunch when hiking, or those of you who can make a suggestion on what to eat for lunch when hiking regardless of your own lunchtime fasting, please provide me with some suggestions on primal lunches in the field".

--Me

Comment

I tend to carry nuts and jerky when out away from my regular food sources. Some harder cheeses will keep pretty well for a day, if you keep them out of the hottest part of your pack. Apples and oranges transport well. Ripe pears and pit fruits tend to get smushed, as do bananas. Pork rinds transport well.

Comment

I carry a bag of almonds or pumpkin seeds. I used to haveto munch every 3 hoursonsomething. Now I try to go without eating during a hike. I just carry the nuts or seed for emergency and plenty of water. I know, not what you asked but I prefer an epic large breakfast/hike all day/major dinner approach. In fact that's what I did today just finishing a pound and a half of grass fed ground beef on top of a salad. with salsa tomatoes, cranberries blackolives Yum! I guesseif I had to eat on the trail it would be some nuts and an apple and perhaps a bit of hard cheese. If you want a picnic call it a picnic and the intent changes.
              Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

I take jerky, dried apricots and other dried fruits, string cheese and nuts. I have found this to be more than satisfactory in replenishing my energy needs. I did take hard boiled eggs on my last hike. Got the coolest carrier for them! Dark chocolate occasionally takes the trip as well.

I did find lots of great ideas on the Primal Trail Food article. Be sure to read the comments as well!

Low Carb Trail Food | Mark's Daily Apple
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                  I take jerky, dried apricots and other dried fruits, string cheese and nuts. I have found this to be more than satisfactory in replenishing my energy needs. I did take hard boiled eggs on my last hike. Got the coolest carrier for them! Dark chocolate occasionally takes the trip as well.

I did find lots of great ideas on the Primal Trail Food article. Be sure to read the comments as well!

Low Carb Trail Food | Mark's Daily Apple
                  Thanks Honeybuns. The link was great, and I guess answered what I was afraid of. Meat preserves (jerkey, pemmican, pepperoni types), and veggies. Maybe a fruit bar or two if I'm burning through sugar too quickly and getting sugar low alot.

--Me

Comment

Most of those were about 5 day backpacking trips where weight and spoilage are a consideration. If you'll be day hiking you can carry a lot more and a greater variety of things. You are only limited by your imagination. I plan on taking leftover marinated flank steak when I go hiking with my sister in a couple of weeks. I'll pull it out of the freezer when I load my pack and it will have thawed nicely by the time we stop for a break.
                    What I pay the most attention to, for me, is the ability to refuel (replenish depleted energy reserves). Jerky, cheese and nuts provide protein, dried fruits provide simple sugars and carbohydrates. A lady I hike with climbs tall mountains to the peak at least once a week and definitely needs those carbs!

What sorts of things do you like to eat?
                    Last edited by honeybuns; 10-15-2011, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Well, I've got challenges. As I mentioned in the begining, I'm diabetic. A type 1 diabetic, in fact. So I can't skip lunch. Of course, I'm also on a low-carb version of Primal for the same reason.

Walking, for whatever reason, is the best way for me to lower my blood sugars. My wife, kids and I walk 3+ miles at least 3 or 4 times a week. Preparing for it, I can take some sugar tablets, etc, to keep myself normal. When hiking, though, especially for multiple hours, it will be interesting to see how much more sugar/carbs I need to put into my diet just to avoid getting sugar low all the time.

What do I like? Pizza, beer, pasta (I used to make the best, with duram flower and eggs), hot chocolate, etc. But that is neither here nor there

No pork for me, but beef, chicken, turkey, goat, whatever else is likely ok. Any veg is good, but...

Honestly, haven't done serious hiking in years, and back then I ate carbs. At home, for lunch, I'll have leftover protein from the night before plus a salad or cooked veg of some sort.

--Me

Comment

So, just take the sort of thing you would have if you were at home. They make sealable containers for a reason. Daypacks hold a ton of stuff. Fruits are a source of carbs but I find that proteins give me longer lasting energy. Fats are also a source of fuel. That is where nuts come into their own.

Somewhere on these forums, I think the journal of NorCalDiverGirl, is a picture of her eating her salad on top of a mountain in Alaska.

Comment

Also, take more than you think you'll need to eat. Just because it is there doesn't mean you have to eat it but it is there if you need it. By having a variety of things to choose from it will also help you to figure out what works best for you

Comment

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                            Somewhere on these forums, I think the journal of NorCalDiverGirl, is a picture of her eating her salad on top of a mountain in Alaska.
                            Sorry, it was BeckaSki's journal that has that photo.

Comment

Working...
                            X