Primal vs Paleo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal vs Paleo?

I was first introduced to the "Paleo diet", which essentially includes shaping your diet around how humans have eaten for the majority of our existence. And then I stumbled across this site, and some people are hinting that there is a difference between paleo and primal.

What is the difference? (except for the fact Primal is basically Mark's "trademark")

They are compatible. Paleo seems to be a bit more "hard core" and stringent. No legumes, dairy, etc - ie only eat what our paleolithic ancestors ate, and nothing else. Primal seems to be more or less the same, but with a bit more common sense thrown into the equation.

Lawyers could probably find a more clear difference, but I wouldn't bother. Except them as more or less the same thing.

--Me

Comment

What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple

One thing to note is that Robb Wolf of the Paleo Solution actually eats Primal.

Comment

Have dinner w/ a bunch of strict paleo's and tell me you aren't ready to run screaming from the building. Shoot me for saying it but primal: paleo=vegetarian:vegan.
        Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
          Have dinner w/ a bunch of strict paleo's and tell me you aren't ready to run screaming from the building. Shoot me for saying it but primal: paleo=vegetarian:vegan.
          Ack!!! Harsh! funny and thought provoking but harsh!
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

If you were to take the entirety of eating perspectives, and start breaking them down by category, the chain would work like this...

All Food ---> Real Food (no frankenfoods) ---> Primal ---> Paleo

In effect, Paleo is a subset of the "Primal" perspective.
            Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
            -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

Truly I always thought dairy was the main component between the two.

Makes sense Velocity.
              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

The dairy and the lean animal protein seem to be the main differences.
                I started reading about the Paleo diet first - I became angry and red flags popped up when I got to the part of "leanest cuts possible" and "Chicken breast, not thighs"

Eff You!! The thighs are my favorite part! Tell me not to eat dark meat - I might rip your throat out. i've also learned that if I don't eat a large amount of fat in my diet, things go bad.

Fatty red meat is my good friend. As is heavy whipping cream.

Paleo is not for me. Primal is much better for my personal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lily Marie View Post
                  Eff You!! The thighs are my favorite part! Tell me not to eat dark meat - I might rip your throat out. i've also learned that if I don't eat a large amount of fat in my diet, things go bad.
                  Ditto! Also, I think the biggest reason for my success with Primal is Mark's 80% philosophy -- sure I strive for 100% daily, but don't feel bad when I slip down to 90%. On occasion I'll dip down to 80%! I think on average I'm a 90% Primal eater.

Comment

Yeah, I see paleo as a more ascetic version of primal -- much closer to Atkins/low-carb and more of a diet. Thus the lean meats and fat avoidance, which frankly makes it unsustainable for most people (also perhaps one reason the people who stick with it can get kind of fanatical, in my experience).

Primal is more flexible and less obsessed with historical/archeological caveman practices, more holistic (the 80/20 is to my mind all about stress reduction), and therefore a bit harder to pin down
                    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

no, no, no you ALL have it wrong.

Primal = reform
                      Paleo = conservative
                      Whole9 = orthodox
                      (and Perfect Health Diet = Unitarian)
                      Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Comment

I like paleo as a "find out what all the shit you were eating did to you and how much better it feels to eat this way" sort of introduction for people. Also to let them realize you can LIVE this way without issues. Then, they can add dairy and see what happens. To me, dairy is the main divider. The lean meats issue doesn't fucking ever get fully explained.

For both camps: If you're eating grass fed animals the fat is okay, if you're not, you should trim the fat.

Primal can be a "lean meats" diet if you're not constantly getting grass fed meat, like me. I trim the fat off some meats and just add coconut oil or whatever. If and when I get grass fed (rarely) then I don't.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Paleo started out as a diet, in its original version, that tended toward less saturated fats. As more research has been done, it has evolved to not worrying about the natural fat that is in food but it doesn't subscribe to adding a whole lot of additional fat like some Primal people do.
                          Primal is supposed to cover the whole lifestyle bu tthe diet portion is a more relaxed version of Primal - OK to add Dairy if it doesn't bother you, as well as some 20% forgiveness factor :-), on the other hand it tends to want to restrict nuts, seeds, fruit more than paleo.
                          Many people read the original paleo book and think that is what paleo is - that is like reading original Mark Sisson diet information and you would be looking at 6 meals a day, low fat whole grains etc. Things evolve and change as more info comes out. Read the newer version of the paleo diet.
                          I tend more to paleo, I don't believe in adding a bunch of isolated oils fats. I eat whole foods, lots of veggies,nuts, fruit, seeds, fish, eggs meat, just skip the grains and dairy. I think Mark is likely wrong in some areas and so is Robb Wolff and Loren Cordain - time will tell as research has evolved and all three have evolved their positions over time as they see what works and what doesn't. I do appreciate they are willing to change and adapt as new info comes forward. What I don't care for is the way they try to rip apart any research that doesn't agree with their position, buthtey don't apply the same scrutiny to anything that supports their position.
                          Everyone is an experiement of one - see what works best for you. I beleive this but the concern I have with this is, while some things obviously don't work and they will cause acne, heartburn or whatever obvious symtom - things may cause very low grade problems that may not be noticeable for years. Would be interesting to have some researchers follow a number of us over a number of years - monitor our diets and follow our progress with body scans to see what is really going on inside. (and do autopsies after we are gone )

Comment

Paleo = Paleolithic reenactment

Primal = Eating healthy food
                            Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Originally posted by Laconophile View Post
                              Paleo = Paleolithic reenactment

Primal = Eating healthy food
                              I don't know, on Mark's blog I've seen some Primal folks dressing up as cavepeople too...

--The Helots

Comment

Working...
                              X