Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anything wrong with getting 50-75% of my calories from eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anything wrong with getting 50-75% of my calories from eggs?

    I have a buddy who eat 8 eggs for every meal. The only time he gets any carbs is through milk and sometimes rice. He is very ripped.

    My doctor put me on a keto, anti-inflammatory diet with no dairy or gluten. I am just wondering if eating eggs for the majority of my calories is ok?

  • #2
    Originally posted by ViaSwiss View Post
    My doctor put me on a keto, anti-inflammatory diet with no dairy or gluten.
    Say WHAAAAT? Is this an establishment trained, full-blown MD?

    I'm impressed!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by astronmr20 View Post
      Say WHAAAAT? Is this an establishment trained, full-blown MD?

      I'm impressed!
      Indiana Functional Medicine at Carmel Clinic

      My "small dense LDL particles" were 2x the top of the range.

      She knew I was already on a semi-paleo diet with around 150g of carbs a day. She said completely cut the gluten and dairy and get carbs down to 100g. She actually said it would be best if I went completely keto.

      Anyways...is 75% of my food as eggs ok?

      Comment


      • #4
        Temporarily, yes. But some people can develop an allergy if too many eggs are consumed on a regular basis.
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

        "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


        For nutrition/wellness tips:

        http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

        www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Why do it though? Sounds like a good way to turn eggs into a disgusting chore, and there IS other protein out there.
          My Fitday public journal.
          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

          Comment


          • #6
            How long has your buddy been eating like that?
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you have any autoimmune issues? Eggs are pretty high in lectins - so if you are truly trying to reduce inflammation I'm not sure they are ideal. I have an autoimmune disease and have increased inflammation if I eat eggs. Yolks aren't too bad, but whole eggs or whites can trigger me for sure.
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

              http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

              Comment


              • #8
                It's actually the opposite--the inflammatory agent in the egg is the yolk. I eat an anti-inflammatory diet to control my severe osteoarthritis, and that has helped me stay off meds for the past 7 years (after almost 20 years of NSAIDs). I eat egg whites and do fine with them but if I have whole eggs, I feel the difference in my joints almost immediately.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by davem View Post
                  Why do it though? Sounds like a good way to turn eggs into a disgusting chore, and there IS other protein out there.
                  I agree with this. I mean, I like eggs a lot, but that sounds fscking boring.
                  carl's cave

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can think of better ways to punish myself.

                    CW preaches against excessive egg consumption because of the cholesterol, but that's been shown to be complete hooey. However, the inflammation and possible allergenic effects are real concerns. Plus, I believe that variety is good for us nutritionally as well as mentally. There are nutrients in other protein sources that you may be missing out on if all you're eating is eggs.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      also...
                      carl's cave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by emmie View Post
                        It's actually the opposite--the inflammatory agent in the egg is the yolk. I eat an anti-inflammatory diet to control my severe osteoarthritis, and that has helped me stay off meds for the past 7 years (after almost 20 years of NSAIDs). I eat egg whites and do fine with them but if I have whole eggs, I feel the difference in my joints almost immediately.
                        Most of the autoimmune paleo recommendations I have seen suggest eating the yolk only.

                        An Egg Yolk a Day Keeps the Doctor Away | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

                        But everyone is different - so I guess people should test them separately. I think I feel best with NO eggs - but yolks better for me.
                        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                        http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by emmie View Post
                          It's actually the opposite--the inflammatory agent in the egg is the yolk. I eat an anti-inflammatory diet to control my severe osteoarthritis, and that has helped me stay off meds for the past 7 years (after almost 20 years of NSAIDs). I eat egg whites and do fine with them but if I have whole eggs, I feel the difference in my joints almost immediately.
                          Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          Most of the autoimmune paleo recommendations I have seen suggest eating the yolk only.

                          An Egg Yolk a Day Keeps the Doctor Away | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

                          But everyone is different - so I guess people should test them separately. I think I feel best with NO eggs - but yolks better for me.

                          I'm not an expert in these things, but I thought that the inflammatory nature of a food came from its fatty acid profile (yolk) where allergic reactions and immune responses came down to the protein structure (white). Though I do believe inflammation has a role in promoting autoimmune conditions through things like gut permeability. So I think you're both right!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Heck, eat 25 eggs a day! This 88 year old did it for years:
                            88 year old man eats 25 eggs per day - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I think regardless of how good eggs are for you, no one single item should comprise the majority of your diet. There is nutrition to be had elsewhere.
                              http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X