Intermittent Fasting for Fast Weight Loss, Better Health & Supreme Fitness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
    couldn't a 14 hour fast be like.. eating dinner at 5pm and then not eating breakfast until like 7am? Or does it not count if your sleeping most of the time.
    Hey Karin, no that would totally work as well!

Comment

Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
      couldn't a 14 hour fast be like.. eating dinner at 5pm and then not eating breakfast until like 7am? Or does it not count if your sleeping most of the time.
      Sleep counts. This would be a viable schedule.

I prefer breaking my fast after a workout, so this would mean an early morning workout if that's important to you.

Comment

Let's take a step back for a moment and see what we're doing. We're regimenting a set period of eating and non-eating every day for the rest of our lives. Don't get me wrong, fasting is great. It's clearly beneficial and logical from an evolutionary perspective, and should be practised. But, in my opinion, not in the way proposed here. Grok ate when he was hungry and had food. I would bet that most of the time he would know where to find good food. Sometimes he may have gone a day or two without eating (which is the type of fast I think works best), but most days I imagine he ate OK.

Eating by the clock is very anti-Primal in my opinion. Fast when you feel like it, eat when you're hungry. Setting a routine for eating is against our genes and evolutionary make-up.

Comment

I was eating a bit of starch at night to help with serotonin levels.
          I'll stick to broccoli and asparagus.
          I eat the follwing:
          Chicken breast, turkey breast, grass fed beef steak(lean), same with mince, eggs,spinach,salmon,broccoli(about 3kg a week easily) and coconut milk/oil and a yam/pumpkin if I need starch

Originally posted by phildrolet View Post
          The way I've had success with fat loss in the past has been:

1. Cut down carbs at night. So basically dinner would consist of a piece of lean meat and a large salad or some sort of mixed veggies.

2. Cut out liquid calories and replace them by water and green tea (ideally matcha).

3. Intermittent Fasting once or twice a week

4. Cold showers everyday

That's what works for me, try it out, do your own little experiments and have fun with it!

PS You can also check out the 4 Hour Body for a few other out-of-the-box ideas.

Comment

There have been some posts around the web about the benefits of having your starch at night.
            I like intermittent fasting as a lifestyle. I don't see anything wrong in making it not so intermittent as in the scheduled daily fasts or a couple of 24hrs per week. A lot of the centenerians practiced some kind of calorie restriction or two meals per day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
              There have been some posts around the web about the benefits of having your starch at night.
              I like intermittent fasting as a lifestyle. I don't see anything wrong in making it not so intermittent as in the scheduled daily fasts or a couple of 24hrs per week. A lot of the centenerians practiced some kind of calorie restriction or two meals per day.
              +1 having my starch at night improved my sleep and fat is still coming off.
              Last edited by pacificBeef; 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM.
              Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                Also depends on ratios with that meal.

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                  That's good. I would think this is something that could be tried by those having sleep issues.

Comment

Runner said "Also depends on ratios with that meal."

You would have your normal protein and low carb vegies plus a serve of starch.

Comment

Originally posted by runner_79 View Post
                      Also depends on ratios with that meal.
                      Didn't know that. I don't measure ratios and generally just stuff my face with whatever I have. I should mention that I typically fast 16/8 on workout days and 20/4 on non workout days. Never planned it that way but it's just how it worked out given my schedule.

Comment

Sounds good for fasting!
                        Carbs and protein or protein and fat. Best way.
                        Dinner is more for starch veggies and protein

Comment

Originally posted by mmsantos View Post
                          Let's take a step back for a moment and see what we're doing. We're regimenting a set period of eating and non-eating every day for the rest of our lives. Don't get me wrong, fasting is great. It's clearly beneficial and logical from an evolutionary perspective, and should be practised. But, in my opinion, not in the way proposed here. Grok ate when he was hungry and had food. I would bet that most of the time he would know where to find good food. Sometimes he may have gone a day or two without eating (which is the type of fast I think works best), but most days I imagine he ate OK.

Eating by the clock is very anti-Primal in my opinion. Fast when you feel like it, eat when you're hungry. Setting a routine for eating is against our genes and evolutionary make-up.
                          I hear what you're saying. Doing IF every day is indeed pretty regimented and maybe not the most pleasant way to live. Beyond the 28 day challenge, I think I'll settle for a 1 day on/1 day off sort of arrangement. Best of both worlds. But I agree, flexibility is important.

However, for me, fasting is more like a fun challenge than a chore.. I have fun doing it, and it's good for me. I don't see too much wrong with that.

Comment

What are your thoughts on IF and the Leptin Reset.

Comment

Originally posted by phildrolet View Post
                              I hear what you're saying. Doing IF every day is indeed pretty regimented and maybe not the most pleasant way to live. Beyond the 28 day challenge, I think I'll settle for a 1 day on/1 day off sort of arrangement. Best of both worlds. But I agree, flexibility is important.

However, for me, fasting is more like a fun challenge than a chore.. I have fun doing it, and it's good for me. I don't see too much wrong with that.
                              +1 nobody knows exactly how and what "grok" ate. If you see benefits from IFing and you've done your homework, there's absolutely no reason to stop. There's a point where "regimented" becomes "the natural thing to do for you". Why wouldn't you want to do something that is proven to consistently be beneficial when done properly?

increase insulin sensitivity
                              reduce calories
                              burn fat

not to mention it saves a shit ton of money and time. Lots of info and data available NOW on the subject, not some speculation based on idealism and biased towards anti-calorie restriction and discipline.

Comment

+1 on above.. Figured I'd chime in since I'm 9 weeks in on a IF schedule (16/8 leangains style) and love not having to worry about breakfast every day! I was convinced I was one of those people susceptible to "low blood sugar" and "had" to snack every few hours.

Once I read the PB and had to give up my morning bowl of flavored gluten (Raisin Bran Crunch), breakfast stopped doing it for me..IF doesn't really feel unnatural, I may get a hunger pang or two around hour 15, but it has really given me so much control over all eating decisions now (first the breakfast went, then the mid-afternoon snack of nuts, which I realized I didn't need). My progress hasn't been particularly staggering, but it has been pretty steady since making the switch, and at 9 weeks, it's darn sustainable!
                                p90x2 Leangains Journal - Phase II (January - April 2012)

Leangains & Starting Strength Journal - Phase I (August - Dec 2011)

Comment

Working...
                                X