Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

remind me why soy is bad- soy yogurt as a greek yogurt alternative?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remind me why soy is bad- soy yogurt as a greek yogurt alternative?

i want to love greek yogurt, but i'm lactose intolerant and can't handle the stuff. have recently discovered a soy yogurt (ingredients: Natural Spring Water*, Soya Beans (8%), Selected live cultures (Bifidus & Acidophilus)) which tastes delicious and seems to agree with me.

someone please remind me why soy is bad?

Phytoestrogens is the main reason I stay away from it. Totally fucks with your hormones because they mimic normal estrogen and bind to the same beta receptors on your cells as other estrogens.
    It's probably a legume as well. Haven't checked cuz the tendency to grow man-hooters thing is good enough reason not to eat it.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

U sure u cant handle regular greek yogurt? Especially the full fat kind?
      Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

If the soy was actually fermented to make the yogurt (which is not likely), I wouldn't see a problem with eating it. Soy beans are seeds and thus require special preparation in order to be made edible. In addition to this, soy is a GMO crop, and it's very hard to find soy products (especially processed soy products) that have not been contaminated with GMO soy.

If you're lactose intolerant, try RAW cow or goat's milk yogurt. It might be a little less problematic.

Comment

people with high soy consumption are very much more likely to develop alzheimer's versus people who do not consume soy.

again the estrogen effect as said above. babies fed soy vs breastmilk are found to have estrogen levels so high, it is the equivalent of taking 5 birth control pills per day.

there is more.. but im at the end of a 12 hr night shift and am so tired i may actually die.

Comment

Try making your own yoghurt - it's really easy to do, and if you leave it to ferment for a minimum of 24 hours, then it will be lactose free (I do this for my lactose intolerant family). Then, if you strain it through a cloth in a sieve, you can allow it to thicken into Greek style yoghurt AND have some lovely whey to cook with, too!

Comment

Soy Alert -- Tragedy and Hype, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, 2000

Comment

You beat me to the punch. WAPF has written a LOT about soy and it's dangers. To me, there is no benefit (other than enjoyment of eating the food, if you like it) and only risk. So, why bother. Of course, I do OK with dairy so it's not a big deal for me to forgo all soy products.
                Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

soy gives you the man breasts, it makes you weak and stupid and ugly too.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
                    soy gives you the man breasts, it makes you weak and stupid and ugly too.
                    And it deletes your email and kicks your dog.
                    carl's cave

Comment

GREAT article!!!

Comment

soy AND yogurt. Oh boy two things I hate a lot combined into one foul sounding creation!

I think a good rule to follow in general is don't eat something that didn't exist in the year 1900.

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
                          If the soy was actually fermented to make the yogurt (which is not likely), I wouldn't see a problem with eating it.
                          +1 japan has been eating fermented soy for a long long time.
                          Last edited by pacificBeef; 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM. Reason: japan does not equal most asian cultures
                          Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                            +1 Asian cultures have been eating fermented soy for a long long time.
                            I spent a year in Taiwan, where there are a lot of people eating a lot of unfermented soy. There may be other issues going on, but my personal observations are that nearly all the young men there are tall, excessively slim, and feminine. The vast majority of women lack womanly curves. Other than an Adam's apple, differentiating young men from young women could be very difficult sometimes.

None of the other Asian cultures I had contact with while I was there (Thai, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian) seemed to have this problem, or perhaps not to the same degree. I could even spot the American-born Chinese/Taiwanese, as they were often significantly more broad-shouldered than the average.

Comment

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
                              +1 Asian cultures have been eating fermented soy for a long long time.
                              The typical daily amounts of soy in those cultures, though, add up to 1 tablespoon per day.

Comment

Working...
                              X