Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hummous

is hummous allowed!!!??? :-) lol

Technically, no. It's a legume and they are generally excluded, but there are exceptions. Like green beans and fermented soy (in moderation; don't make tempeh a staple - at least I wouldn't).

However, some Paleo/Primal/Ancestral Health people have lightened up on legumes (see Dr. Kurt Harris). I say if it makes you happy, have some every now and then. There are much worse things. If you're not making it yourself, check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't have crap like soybean/canola oil added.

Comment

Hey another Brit primal! I love Hummus too but yodiewan is right, you have to check the contents. I picked one up in tesco the other day that had palm oil in it. I remember reading somewhere that palm oil is pretty crap, so I left it on the shelf. A good hummus will only have olive oil in it but they are hard to find !
      http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
      ― Carl Sagan

Comment

I opt for baba ganoush.

Comment

Hummus is also ridiculously easy to make, so that is probably the best way to ensure quality ingredients. Plus, you get to make all sorts of tasty alterations to the standard flavors.

Comment

I just don't buy anything ready made from Tesco, Sainsbury or anything like that. The other day in a supermarket deli I saw olives - in sunflower oil!!!

And I was given some delicious sweet spicy red peppers stuffed with ricotta which were delicious but slicked with oil which I bet was sunflower or soy or something (from Sainsbury).

Comment

Cool-I was thinking of making baba ganoooosh as aubergines are so great :-) I do loves me some hummus but I'll start to cut back and use baba ganoush instead!

Comment

I make a variation on babaganoosh with added roasted red peppers. It's quite yummy. No problem with that unless you're one of the poor unfortunate souls who have to avoid nightshades.

As for the humus, yeah, not primal. But if you make it yourself, you can make it a lot less bad if you soak and even sprout the garbanzos before cooking. That should eliminate a lot of the antinutrients. It's still carbtastic but if you're an active person, that shouldn't be a problem in reasonable portions.

Comment

Originally posted by kbn1 View Post
                  I opt for baba ganoush.
                  Ditto. It's creamier, tastier, and less time to make if you take the skins off the chickpeas.
                  Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

Originally posted by scotchncoffee View Post
                    Hummus is also ridiculously easy to make, so that is probably the best way to ensure quality ingredients. Plus, you get to make all sorts of tasty alterations to the standard flavors.
                    +1

it's one of the easiest damn things to make yourself, if you have a little food chopper thingy, and use canned beans. Just put all the ingredients together in the chopper & voila, hummus in a matter of minutes.

however, as much as i like chickpeas, they don't like me, so hummus is one thing that i really don't miss at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Boneidle24seven View Post
                      Hey another Brit primal! I love Hummus too but yodiewan is right, you have to check the contents. I picked one up in tesco the other day that had palm oil in it. I remember reading somewhere that palm oil is pretty crap, so I left it on the shelf. A good hummus will only have olive oil in it but they are hard to find !
                      Unrefined Palm Oil is good stuff to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel View Post
                        Ditto. It's creamier, tastier, and less time to make if you take the skins off the chickpeas.
                        I just finished off some baba ganoush! If I get one of my rare craving for hummous, I make it myself, starting with dried garbanzos.
                        I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
                        Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
                        "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

If you want to avoid legumes, you can also make your own hummus from courgettes: The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Hot Pepper Hummus

It looks pretty tasty. Also ditto what June said; Palm Oil is good stuff!! Mark recommends it, too.

Comment

Chickpeas are not ideal and will lead to digestive issues. Here is another recipe for hummus I tried a few years back:

Son of Grok » Blog Archive » Primally Delicious Hummus

Comment

Originally posted by Boneidle24seven View Post
                              Palm oil is actually one of the best oils to eat. Maybe you're thinking of palm kernel oil or fractionated palm kernel oil, which is very badly processed, losing its once excellent health benefits.

Hummus is so easy to make, as is cooking chickpeas. Soak them overnight, then add to crackpot with water for four hours on high. Blend with olive or avocado or palm oil, and raw tahini, plus salt. Yum. So many variations. I think legumes are better to eat more often than large amounts of nuts.
                              | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X