Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today, I told my trainer I'm...... Primal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, I told my trainer I'm...... Primal.

I informed my trainer today that I was going Primal. Having been primarily Paleo for the last year or so (minus my misinformed love for 'healthy' whole grains), he wasn't completely surprised, even at the fact that I showed up in my new Vivo Barefoot shoes and was actually very supportive and interested in my new lifestyle. I have a great trainer!

One thing he was concerned with though was my immediate post-workout carb consumption, ensuring me that I NEED the insulin boost immediately following our strenuous (Very Primal, Lift heavy things and sprint occasionally) sessions to encourage recovery. I told him I would achieve this with an almond milk, Paleomeal, and organic berry smoothie. He said this was probably not enough but to research other ways to get the boost while staying primal. Ideas?

Potatoes will do the trick. Eat some (leaner) meat post-workout too.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

How about starchy vegetables - potato, sweet potato, etc.
      http://thepaleopremise.blogspot.com

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29944.html

this guy seems to have a good understanding of carb refeed after a workout. If the thread doesn't give you enough info, you could pm him, good luck
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

I like the potato idea, and I love sweet potato. One of my main issues that I should have mentioned in the post is that this is a difficult option right away. I work at the gym and usually have to grab something quick (the smoothie) before I run to another meeting.

Comment

Huge glass of milk, since you are now primal and not paleo. Unless you are super-fit though it doesn't seem to matter THAT much.
            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Just pre-cook the sweet potato and take it with you. Cold sweet potatoes are good! I love adding them to my BAS.
              My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by PrimalNYC View Post
                I like the potato idea, and I love sweet potato. One of my main issues that I should have mentioned in the post is that this is a difficult option right away. I work at the gym and usually have to grab something quick (the smoothie) before I run to another meeting.
                Try a sweet potato smoothie. They're really thick, but good.
                Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

You don't need any insulin boost after your workout, that's all b.s.

I will work out first thing in the morning, go hardcore for 1 1/2hours, finish around 10am, and eat around noon-2pm, never a problem.

Just eat a normal meal when your hungry.

Comment

Drinking water makes sense if you actually get sweaty enough, but I just don't get the hype about post-workout eating. Your body is going to use its resources as they are already stored. Why add the stress of digestion to the deal? You won't be getting those nutrients for a long time anyway. Eating a bigger dinner on sprinting day makes sense, and a little extra meat on lifting days. I'm with darkfault. Our bodies can cope just fine without us stuffing our faces.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

PWO meals with lots of carbs do aid in recovery; after depleting them of glycogen on a hard workout, they are ready to soak up glycogen for the next day's workout. Wait too long and they are a bit less sensitive. The whole thing works at the margins of effectiveness - it makes a small difference if you do it perfectly and are actually pushing yourself in workouts, which almost nobody ever seems to do.
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

All of this makes a lot of sense... I think I'm more concerned with learning insulin control that anything else. I might start taking the cold cooked sweet potato on days that I really am going to be pushing it hard but otherwise leave it up to the shake and wait till my next actual primal meal to restock on the valuable nutrient stores. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Skip the protein shake as well, its just extra calories you could consume during a meal.

You just need to drink plenty of water, eat when you eat.

We need to simplify all of this nonsense that the fitness industry created.

6 meals a day = nonsense
                          pre workout meal = nonsense
                          post workout meal = nonsense
                          protein powders = nonsense
                          90% - 99% of supplements = nonsense

If you looking to lose body fat reduce calories, if you looking to gain weight increase calories. Exercise to strengthen/tone muscles and support a healthy cardiovascular system.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfault View Post
                            You don't need any insulin boost after your workout, that's all b.s.

I will work out first thing in the morning, go hardcore for 1 1/2hours, finish around 10am, and eat around noon-2pm, never a problem.

Just eat a normal meal when your hungry.
                            +1

Comment

Your trainer isn't wrong. Eat a potato, it won't hurt none.
                              I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X