Dandruff help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dandruff help?

Embarrassing, but...I have fucking horrible dandruff that I can't get rid of. Keeps getting worse. I may have posted about it awhile back but I still haven't been able to get rid of it so I thought maybe I'd be able to get some new advice.

And btw, I don't have dry skin in general, just my scalp. If I use coconut oil or don't wash my hair for a couple days, it improves, but it also gets disgustingly greasy doing either of those things.

Any help is appreciated, totally not feeling sexy! Lol
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

Hey, me too. I have resorted to only washing twice a week. Seems to help a ton. Baking soda, scrub light and fast for about thirty seconds on the scalp and rinse quick. The longer you leave it in, the more your scalp will react, but it's also the best and cleanest degreaser as long as exposure time is very short.

As of this week, I'm trying that crazy soap with the writing on it to see if it's any better. No news yet...
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Get this. This is the end-all-be-all of anti-dandruff shampoos. It's such a good exfoliant, it actually has been shown to promote hair regrowth in balding men and increases the effectiveness of Rogaine tremendously by opening up skin pores dramatically and increasing permeability, whereas other anti-dandruff shampoos (like Head and Shoulders) seem to promote hair loss because they're harsh and make the hair brittle. I don't have dandruff, but I apply this once a week for good measure just to help prevent hair loss as that's always been a fear of mine.

You can get it at Shop Rite, Target, Rite Aid, Wal Mart, etc. It's a little more on the expensive side, but you won't have to use it more than once or twice a week once you get over the initial few applications. It's sold as 1% over the counter, but you can even get 2% strength with a prescription for extreme cases.

I also strongly, STRONGLY recommend this conditioner:

http://www.amazon.com/Nioxin-Therapy...8369512&sr=8-1

It is by far the best conditioner I've ever used. It seems pricey, yes, but factor in that it's 4 times larger than the average conditioner bottle. A bottle of it lasts me 6 months, but I'm a guy and keep my hair short. You'll probably get 2-3 months out of it.

Between regular application of Nizoral and daily application of Nioxin Scalp Treatment, you should see your dandruff problem get a lot better, if not clear up completely. Actually, while I'm pimping Nioxin, you can get the cleanser AND the conditioner together for a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/Nioxin-System-...8369665&sr=8-1

I've been using this stuff for years and I swear by it. My hair has thickened up considerably since using it. I have thicker hair now than I did 5 years ago because of this stuff and it grows like a weed. I actually have little blond peach fuzzy hairs that sprouted all over my temples and forehead from it because it provides such a good atmosphere for hair growth. I also recommend supplementing with a B-100 complex and a biotin supplement as well if you don't already. Yes, I'm into hair care.
      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM.
      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I use Nioxin products and love them. I have never had a problem with dandruff, but the shampoo does leave my scalp feeling cleaner than any other shampoo I have used. Do you wash in cold water?

Comment

I bought Amazon.com: Selsun Blue Medicated Maximum Strength Dandruff Shampoo, 11 Ounce: Beauty recently and it's been helping my dandruff situation *really* well compared to the old Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo I used to use.

Comment

Are the dandruff shampoos natural? I had figured they were unnatural like most commercial shampoos, and I like my beauty products to be as natural as possible.

Of course, the longer this goes on, the more desperate I get...my hair is even greasy lately if I DO wash it everyday. Greasy and dandruff-y. Nasty combo.
            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
            --Hyperlithic

Comment

I doubt it. Looking up the active ingredients from both shampoos there are some chemical hazards for both. One thing of note is that they both seem to be anti-fungal (one cause of dandruff is the natural yeast-like fungus on our scalp growing out of control). So maybe some sort of natural anti-fungal remedy might be your ticket.

I did read that you should treat anti-dandruff shampoos like medication. i.e. Use it initially to get your problem under control, then stop using it that much.
              Last edited by Dracil; 10-11-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Wash with ACV and it should clear up real quick. After that, try washing with egg yolks or get something from Poofys...Poofy Organics Healthy Bath & Body
                $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

What have you already tried? Eating primal usually clears my dandruff right up. I've had no luck with apple cider vinegar, but scrubbing in baking soda really helped. I just bought a tea tree oil shampoo. I didn't buy it for dandruff, but I read that it helps. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Clymb View Post
                    Are the dandruff shampoos natural? I had figured they were unnatural like most commercial shampoos, and I like my beauty products to be as natural as possible.

Of course, the longer this goes on, the more desperate I get...my hair is even greasy lately if I DO wash it everyday. Greasy and dandruff-y. Nasty combo.
                    No, and IMO, you won't fix the problem with a purely natural solution. I'll loosely quote Mark Sisson when he says that the modern lifestyle largely detrimental to the health of humans, but there are some very beneficial advances. Nizoral is one of those things we created that I see as a positive. It's time-tested and there seem to be no negative side effects, only positives, so I say go for it!

Not everything Primal is good and not everything modern is bad. I'll sit here for hours and tell you that black beans are healthier than almonds.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I actually noticed that dandruff went away when I eliminated dairy completely for 30 days. Added it back for a bit, and the flakiness came back.

Comment

Even before you go out and grab some Nizoral, make sure your fat consumption is really ramped up and that a lot of it is O3s (less irritation from the dandruff). Next, depending on what area of the country you live in, you might not be able to find Nizoral. Johnson and Johnson who manufactures it in North America has been having numerous problems with their plants and so there has been a large scale Nizoral shortage for at least half a year at this point. If you can't find it locally you could always just order it from a foreign supplier as their european distribution has no problems (comes in red box instead of blue). Alternatively there are other shampoos out there to try. Above all, search for one with Ketaconazole, that's where the magic is.
                        "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                        -J.Stanton

Comment

Interesting. That would explain why it went from like $7.49 for the big bottle to $11.49 for the small one in a year. I was like, "DAMN inflation!!"

Comment

Well I tried an ACV rinse tonight, figured I would go natural first...and my hair actually looks really nice and my scalp isn't dry or flaking! Could it be so simple? Gonna try it a few times a week for a bit and see if it keeps working. I just wish it didn't happen in the first place, maybe I should try the eliminating dairy thing like an above poster wrote. Dairy used to mess my scalp up, but that was only when I was really young and then it stopped.
                            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

Nizoral works well, I've used it. I've also recently used apple cider vinegar and that actually worked too. I used my regular shampoo right after for removing the rest of the oil and also the smell vinegar leaves behind. You can find a lot of websites telling you how this works. Vinegar is cheap too! I can't remember if I diluted it or just squirted it on to my scalp but I remember I left it on for 10-15 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                              X