Difficult to stop "preaching"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult to stop "preaching"

Does anyone else find it difficult to stop with the comments about other peoples choices even though you know you are probably being really annoying?

I have this roommate that is really over weight, always talking about going to start this and that and loosing the weight. So I have been making a few suggestions, send her a link for this site, and let her borrow "wheat belly" since my entire book collection is in DK.

Told her to cut out all this stuff, read the labels on the food she bought, not really go on a diet and eat salads all week long, but instead eat great things like bacon and eggs, which you normally never would get near on a diet. I know that since she is so big it wouldn't take much to see improvements.

So yesterday we are going to the store for groceries and she fills up a big water bottle with sugary juice (as if the stuff is not sweet enough already) since she did not want to get thirsty.... When I mentioned to her that she might want to consider that that amount of juice would equal 1/4 my intake for the entire day and that it was just as bad as soda she just looked at me like ... well you know the look... So I have kept quiet ever since even though I find it so difficult!!!

Some people just aren't ready. Don't worry about them.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Don't bother with her. It will be a continuing exercise in frustration
      Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

You are probably making it worse. People need to make the decision themselves if they want to make a change.

Comment

Tri Girl,

I choose to Pontificate and be annoying. Eventually it sinks into their thick numb skulls and they eventually go on the Paleo Diet.
          I have had a dozen success stories by being annoying and Preaching the Paleo Diet. So I say keep it up, and you will win in the end.

PS) Give her some reports by Cardiologist Wm Davis. He is GREAT with his articles. They are short, easy to understand and get right to the point.
          Search his website for each subject you want to present. This will sway her opinion because it is a world renowned doctor telling her what to do, not you. Of course she won't listen to YOU. But she will listen to printouts from Dr. Davis or Doctor Kruse.

Dr. Davis
          http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/

Dr. Cruse
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post592706

So I say keep up the pressure, using these 2 doctors as your club. What do you think?
          Grizz
          Last edited by Grizz; 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I had little success trying to "convert" people because I get so excited talking about it that I sound like a babbling lunatic. My angle now is just to keep losing and looking good while at the same time posting pictures of all the delicious food I am eating/making. Then I just sit back and wait for the questions. You can just plant a little seed when they say "Oh, you look so good! What have you been doing???" or "That food looks so good, where did you get the recipe?" Bam.
            http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadelynMc View Post
              I had little success trying to "convert" people because I get so excited talking about it that I sound like a babbling lunatic. My angle now is just to keep losing and looking good while at the same time posting pictures of all the delicious food I am eating/making. Then I just sit back and wait for the questions. You can just plant a little seed when they say "Oh, you look so good! What have you been doing???" or "That food looks so good, where did you get the recipe?" Bam.
              +1 Actions/results speak louder than words.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

+2 with MadelynMC's post. You get so excited in the beginning, and maybe even every time you see significant progress. That's the time when it's the easiest to start gushing about Primal and try to get everyone else on the bandwagon. Problem is, you start sounding like some cult member to anyone that hasn't already been looking into it. So they automatically give you the vague nod and exit as soon as politely possible.

Don't be that guy. Be the one that people turn to when they have a question because they know you'll answer it and not harass them. Don't be the one they avoid like the plague because they know they'll just end up feeling like they're being lectured. You won't win them over and you'll lose them as friends (and potential Primals) if you go overboard.
                Durp.

Comment

I know, that has been my experience back home that people see the difference and ask what you did etc but this girl did not know me then... It's actually pretty funny, I was training for a half ironman while eating mostly like this, but finding it really hard due to the increased workouts and everything... Then I got injured, stopped the heavy training load and improved the eating, and dum dum dum - lost 10 pounds... Really shows that theres so much to the whole thing... Now Im back to training and doing much better since the nutrition is already somewhat dialed in.

I am definitely going to lay back a little and see if she will come ask me herself... Grizz thanx for the links great reads

Comment

Yeah it's a hard one. I was watching TV with my mum the other day and someone mentioned that a person had chicken for breakfast. ALL I said was, 'that's a healthy breakfast', and my mum gave me one of those looks and said 'yes, I know, no need to go on about it'. WTF!!! LOL
                    My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I have so many successful PB converts now that I feel like I have my own little family! The secret to my success......shut the fuck up about what you eat People see my changes or see what I eat and I tell them just a little. If they are interested they will bring it up again.

I have two major failures.....my brother and sister. My brother I chose to try to recruit without him bringing it up. Dumb on my part. My sister asked for help, but doesn't want to do it.

People should eat what they want. It really is obnoxious to make them feel like you have more say in how they treat their bodies than they do.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I don't try anyomore. You can't save people from themselves. So now they just say "it must be nice to be naturally thin" or "you MUST be a runner! (I'm not). Even when someone says soemthing totallyuntrue (low fat = good, fat is bad etc) I ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                          I have so many successful PB converts now that I feel like I have my own little family! The secret to my success......shut the fuck up about what you eat People see my changes or see what I eat and I tell them just a little. If they are interested they will bring it up again.
                          Agreed. People saw how much better shape I am than I used to be, and I try to answer honestly when asked about dietary/lifestyle changes. I haven't really pushed at all, but I think at least a couple people have made positive(if not revolutionary) changes due in part to my influence.

Also, I don't think it helps to demand instant, complete change from someone. If someone wants to make minor positive changes, offering friendly encouragement instead of pushing them too hard to do more is generally well-received, and may lead to more positive changes in the future.

Comment

Yeah, I used to be annoying proselytizing Primal woman, quite literally carrying my book around with me.* Now I don't even talk about it unless asked directly... and even then I'm rather vague about it. If the person is truly interested, they'll do some digging. We're not exactly hard to find online, y'know?

*And then I converted a friend, based not on my proselytizing, but based on my weight loss and improvement in my rosacea, and then SHE was carrying her book around with her!
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I personally don't like to argue with people, so I let my results cause enough interest for them to inquire and then let them know about whatever aspect they are interested in. I've lost 50 lbs. this year and that change alone has had half a dozen people ask what I did, and I'll get random questions about nutrition.

I do have that urge to say something, especially to my mom and dad (though they have been very supporting and my dad even read Robb Wolf's book and loved it, mom is reading it now and agrees with most of the principles already) so some times stuff slips out, but I usually either apologize or shut up immediately after.

If you let the results speak for themselves, which they will, you will help a lot more people that way rather than trying to be their personal nutritionist.
                              "You don't have forever to change yourself."
                              Stefan Molyneux
                              Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X