Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Yorgurt Maker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommend a Yorgurt Maker

    Can anyone recommend a yogurt maker?
    Indigogirl

  • #2
    Yes!!!! I can!

    Hi live in Upstate New York, and am near Maple Hill Creamery. They make the only 100% grass fed cow's milk yogurt that I know of. It is absolutely superior to everything I have tried. I don't know where you are, but if you are on the East Coast it's possible to get some. If you are not, I would find a farm that is grass based and buy milk and make yogurt yourself (1 tsp of yogurt with live cultures for every qt of milk you want to turn into yogurt). If you need more instruction, I can give it to you.

    Comment


    • #3
      You don't need one -- just some pots and pans, containers, and a means to keep the milk at temperature (35-50 degrees Celsius). It's pretty fool proof as long as you're careful to use clean tools and keep the fermenting mixture warm. There are plenty of guides online to help you
      Primal food in Japan

      Comment


      • #4
        I make mine from grass fed raw milk and I use chobani as a starter (if I don't have some of my own left over). I make it in my dehydrator (Excalibur brand) and it's super easy. I use the dehydrator all the time to make jerkey, fruit leathers for the kids, fruit and veggie chips, etc. Love it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Faumdano View Post
          You don't need one -- just some pots and pans, containers, and a means to keep the milk at temperature (35-50 degrees Celsius). It's pretty fool proof as long as you're careful to use clean tools and keep the fermenting mixture warm. There are plenty of guides online to help you
          This... DH makes his own yogurt every couple of weeks... he heats up the milk... then keeps it warm in a warm water bath... as it gets colder I suggested he use the heating pad we have to keep it warm... I'm also going to buy him some starters from here: Yogurt Starter | Yogurt Culture

          they've got a cold starter - that doesn't need a lot of heat... which would be perfect for trying out different cultures... esp since DH likes TANGY yogurt...
          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

          Converted to PB November 2010
          SW 190lb
          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
          GW ~135lbs
          5'3"
          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kristiashley View Post
            I make mine from grass fed raw milk and I use chobani as a starter (if I don't have some of my own left over). I make it in my dehydrator (Excalibur brand) and it's super easy. I use the dehydrator all the time to make jerkey, fruit leathers for the kids, fruit and veggie chips, etc. Love it.
            What temperature do you set the excalibur at??? that might be good solution for dh during the winter here!
            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

            Converted to PB November 2010
            SW 190lb
            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
            GW ~135lbs
            5'3"
            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks all!

              Can't have dairy so I need to make coconut milk yogurt and I want to buy a yogurt maker because I think it will be much easier : ) !
              Indigogirl

              Comment


              • #8
                I have the Aroma one. So easy to use. Put the innoculated dairy in & forget about it for 8 hours.
                --Trish (Bork)
                TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
                  What temperature do you set the excalibur at??? that might be good solution for dh during the winter here!
                  115. I put it in at night and let it run all night. I like tangy yogurt as well. I do heat it the milk to 150 (at times as high as 180 if I am distracted, lol), let it cool to 115, add my starter and then pour into glass jars. Those jars go into the dehydrator and I'm done. It's very easy and if I heat the milk that way I get very firm, tangy yogurt, which is how I like it. I ruined so many batches with the cooler/oven/etc. ways it wasn't funny. I'm not diligent enough to do it that way, I need more of a foolproof method. LOL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I want to try coconut milk yogurt, must make that soon.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X