Questions re: the Gerson Cancer Treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re: the Gerson Cancer Treatment

So, I just learned about the Gerson therapy, and it sounds pretty convincing. I love eating Primally, and don't want to give it up -- I am just hoping that someone who is familiar with Gerson's philosophy (but follows the Primal lifestyle) can explain to me why it is [I]not[I] harmful to one's health to eat meat. Everything else about the plan seems to line up fairly well with the PB, though I suspect that those who follow Gerson's plan derive their main source of energy from carbs (in fruits & veg) rather than fat.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!

I followed the Gerson therapy diet for two months before I read "Primal Body, Primal Mind," and I can tell you that I never felt sicker in my life! Because my breast cancer came back last January, I wanted to find a natural way to treat it; hence, the Gerson diet. I felt that eating organic fruits and vegetables (and juicing them as much as possible) might be the answer. OMG! After drinking the juiced vegetables and fruits, I would nearly vomit...and I felt horrible for hours afterward. After reading "Primal Body, Primal Mind," I realized that drinking a concentrated glass of juice was like drinking sugar water...and I was hurting my health. I also didn't lose any weight whatsoever from this high-carb diet and am convinced that it is NOT a good diet, especially for a person with cancer. On the primal diet, I have consistently lost weight, feel great, and know that this is the diet I will follow for the rest of my life. Many of the tenets of the Gerson diet can be scientifically disproven. Either read the Primal Blueprint or the other book I noted above. The science makes sense with regard to a primal diet.

Comment

Have to agree with Primalrose. It has been a long time since I saw some of the Gerson videos, but I remember thinking at the time that it just didn't sound right. Primal Body, Primal Mind is a really wonderful book and I highly recommend it.
      Durp.

Comment

Minger's new critique of "Forks over Knives" goes into a fair amount of the science that doesn't support the vegetarian claims.

Comment

Given the evolutionary history of humans eating meat, I'm pretty sure the burden of proof is on the vegetarians to provide solid evidence that eating a healthy diet that includes meat from well-kept animals is harmful.

It may work for beating cancer- lack of protein, high levels of nutrients and anti-oxidants, calorie restriction- I won't say that it doesn't work. However, I'm pretty convinced of the benefits of eating meat, and I don't have cancer, so the benefit of going on a long-term juice fast just isn't there for me.

Comment

I've also heard of people starving cancer by going low carb/sugar free... so.. who knows?
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Working...
            X