Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone try red palm oil and get scratchy throat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try red palm oil and get scratchy throat?

I am trying to figure out what new food I've introduced lately that is causing me to have a constant irritated throat. I have some ideas but one new thing I've been eating daily is red palm oil.

Anyone try red palm oil only to discover they are allergic? What were your symptoms?

I haven't had that problem. I eat it on rice and chicken and occasionally plain on its own. What else have you introduced lately?

Comment

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if it's from my iodine supplement. My other new foods don't seem as exotic as the red palm oil. Lately, I've tried collard greens, coconut water, kerrygold butter and cheese and all natural pepperoni sticks that aren't spicy and do not have nitrates or antibiotics.

Comment

I'd suspect the iodine, too.

Comment

Anyone else have this throat reaction to iodine?

Edited to add I just read a thread on coconut oil causing scratchiness for some. I've been ok with my coconut oil but just started drinking the ONE coconut drinks lately. Anyone have a scratchy throat from this drink maybe?
          Last edited by Goldstar; 10-07-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

How about stevia drops, can they cause irritated throat?

Comment

Goldstar,
              I just ordered a bottle of red palm oil. I plan to add it to my salads instead of olive oil.

Will let you know if I have any problems.

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
                ...all natural pepperoni sticks that aren't spicy and do not have nitrates or antibiotics.
                Do you normally have a problem with processed meats like pepperoni or bacon? Pepperoni sticks are not pepperoni sticks unless they have either sodium nitrite or celery salt/seed/juice (which is basically the same as sodium nitrite). Odds are they have one of the two, and even though most people don't seem to react to them, some do.

Other than that, it is allergy season in a lot of places, especially if you have a problem with grasses.
                Durp.

Comment

Thanks, Grizz. I hope it's not the palm oil, I like the flavor of it with collard greens very much and I hope you enjoy it, too. I like it mixed with olive oil 50/50.

I really do think the irritation has to do with something I've just begun eating every day as I do not have seasonal allergies. No problems with bacon or pepperoni in the past either. If it's not, it has to be the new iodine pills I've been taking.

Other possibilities are cinnamon and sugar free gum (Extra brand).

Comment

I haven't had red palm oil for three days and no change.

Still working on getting to the bottom of this. I am greatly suspecting Sweetleaf stevia drops. I've discovered that the stevia plant is related to ragweed and that is how I would describe my throat, scratchy and sore like an outdoor allergy. I just started to put 5-6 drops in my large cup of coffee in the mornings. I'm going to cut out the stevia and see what happens...

Comment

I used to get that from coconut oil. I still get it if I toast coconut flakes in the microwave.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I get that from coconut oil... Very scratchy & sore.. feels burnt. I cut it out as I'm allergic to Tree Nuts & the oils I bought are produced in a plant that also deals with tree nuts. So for myself, it's a safety issue.

Comment

I just found some red palm oil (on Ebay of all places!), want to try it as CO gives me nausea, fingers crossed I don't react to it.
                          Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                          Harold Whitman

Comment

Wow, I do have a throat reaction to shredded coconut, my throat gets irritated and I get an instant asthma attack.

But I have not had reactions to my coconut milk or oil in the past. Can it be a bad batch of coconut oil even though I have not switched brands?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
                              Wow, I do have a throat reaction to shredded coconut, my throat gets irritated and I get an instant asthma attack.

But I have not had reactions to my coconut milk or oil in the past. Can it be a bad batch of coconut oil even though I have not switched brands?
                              I think I have it narrowed down to cinnamon or that Sweetleaf brand of stevia drops. I say the Sweetleaf brand because there is stevia in the ONE coconut water I am drinking also and I have not quit drinking that.

Comment

Working...
                              X