Omega-3 Capsules

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega-3 Capsules

Anyone here use Omega-3 capsules? After my experience with protein powder, I'm not rushing into any new supplements, but would like to know if there is any downside to these capsule before using/not using them.

Thanks.

We take O3 gelatin pills. The only "negative" side effect we've had is fish burps, but you can get supplements that don't have that effect.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

Actually one thing I noticed recently is the fish oil capsules I've been taking have soybean oil in them. I'm wondering how big a deal this really is and if it's potentially doing more harm than good.

Comment

I can't tolerate fish burps.

Comment

at the risk of messing up my secret stash i use
          The Wholistic Pet: Wholistic Wild Deep Sea Salmon Oil

no capsules to digest and no fish burps if i take it on an empty stomach in the morning
          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I just bought Cod Liver Oil today, which is also cool because it's high in Vitamin A and D.

Comment

I've never heard to take them on an empty stomach, I will definitely try that. From what I've read via reviews of various brands, fish burps can occur from any source, it really depends on the purpose. Some people claim they get none, while the next person will say they can't take that brand because it gives them the burps =\
              Depression Lies

Comment

Robb Wolf discusses fish oil.

Fish Oil

Originally posted by petriquor View Post
                Actually one thing I noticed recently is the fish oil capsules I've been taking have soybean oil in them. I'm wondering how big a deal this really is and if it's potentially doing more harm than good.
                Soybean oil is high in PUFA with a LA to ALA ratio of 4:1. Then consider that LA is easily converted to AA, whereas ALA is fairly useless. You're taking fish oil for one reason only - to decrease the omega 6 to 3 ratio in your cells. The addition of soybean oil to fish oil negates much of the benefit from fish oil.
                Last edited by Stevenhamley; 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM.
                http://thepaleopremise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stevenhamley View Post
                  Soybean oil is high in PUFA with a LA to ALA ratio of 4:1. Then consider that LA is easily converted to AA, whereas ALA is fairly useless. You're taking fish oil for one reason only - to decrease the omega 6 to 3 ratio in your cells. The addition of soybean oil to fish oil negates much of the benefit from fish oil.
                  Exactly, but my real concern is I'm not sure how much is actually in these capsules. For all I know it could be trace amounts.

Comment

I'll stick to real food then...thanks for the replies...!

Comment

Another option is Krill Oil -- look for NKO Krill oil capsules. You can get it on Amazon. It's high in Omega 3 and I didn't have fish burps. I also have used Carlson lemon flavored fish oil -- not cod liver oil, which can provide a bit too much Vitamin D if you take a lot of it. You may get fish burps tho.

The biggest drawback to capsules is that you can be taking (not just soybean oil) but rancid fish oil. By sticking with the bottled stuff, you know Right Away if it has gone off.
                      Life is an ongoing Experiment of One, so here's to science!

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37576.html

Comment

Almost all the meat I eat is pastured, but I do still supplement with 2 grams of fish oil per day (Xtend-Life's Ultra fish oil caps). I take them right before bed in hopes of falling asleep before the fish burps start to happen. The reason I supplement with caps instead of eating fish is that I don't like the oily, strong-tasting fish that tend to contain significant amounts of omega 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                          We take O3 gelatin pills. The only "negative" side effect we've had is fish burps, but you can get supplements that don't have that effect.
                          Storing the capsules in the fridge and eating when cold will reduce this problem. Eating the capsules with a meal will also help.
                          Norak's Primal Journal:
                          2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                          2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                          2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Working...
                          X