Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Do you know how to cook steak?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help! Do you know how to cook steak?

    I thought I finally knew how to cook steak. I thought Iíd finally discovered the TRICK. And then, it degraded. Every time I cooked steak, it got worse and worse. I am now standing at the edge of the point of no return. If I donít figure out what Iím doing wrong, Iíll never have home-cooked medium-rare steak again. Iíll have to settle for sub-standard restaurant steak made of meat of unknown (but most likely horrifying) origins.

    This is what I tried to eat tonight, and feed to my 16yo daughter who also wonít eat what Iíve created.



    This is what I'm seeing that I don't like: it's cooked on the outside, then goes to medium-rare, and the middle is raw.

    What I want is this:



    Can anybody help me make this?

    (I hope this post-with-pics works.)

  • #2
    Are you cooking it in a pan on a burner? Try starting it on the burner to sear the outside and then put in the oven to finish. This gives you a more even doneness. Obviously you need some sort of oven safe skillet (like cast iron) to do this.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you cooking it from frozen or from fresh/fully defrosted?

      If you are cooking from fresh/fully defrosted, this is the chart I use to figure out how to get my steak medium rare. It's worked every time I've cooked my steak.

      Thickness Rare Medium Well Heat
      1" 6-8 8 -10 10-14 High
      1 1/2" 8-10 10-12 12-16 High
      2" 12-16 16-20 20-24 Medium

      Comment


      • #4
        Which cut of meat are you using? How do you prepare it? Do you take it straight from the fridge to the pan?

        I usually let the beef warm to room temperature, then sear it, then cook it for as long as it need to get medium raw. Then - I let it rest for a bit while I get the vegetables and other stuff ready.

        On a grill I would typically use direct heat first to sear it, then put it on indirect heat with the lid on until the temperature of the beef reaches around 150 - 155 degrees F or around 66 - 68 degrees C. Remember to let the beef rest off the heat (in tin foil) for a bit after.

        Have a look at this video: Jamie Oliver - Perfect Steak - YouTube
        Last edited by Sungrazer; 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM.
        Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

        My journal

        I see grain people...

        Exist in shadow, drifting away.

        Comment


        • #5
          Okay, I realize (now!) that I really ought to give a little bit more info.

          I cooked my meat in a cast iron pan set to a medium-high temperature (7 on an electric stove). I take it out of the freezer the night before so that it's quite thawed when time to cook. I pat it dry with some paper towels and then sprinkle on some spices. I smear the pan with some bacon fat and when the pan's hot enough (I sprinkle water and when it "dances" I know it's hot enough) I put the steak in it. Then I set my watch for 3 minutes, flip it, another 3 minutes. I let it sit for a few minutes before cutting into it.

          When I first started, I'd cook the steak for 2.5 minutes, but it was a bit too raw for my tastes.

          Also, I get the steak from my local farmer's market and the guy says it's pastured, also comments (every time) about the "nice marbling". But I don't know what kind of cut it is. I'm going to ask him this weekend.

          Comment


          • #6
            Is it at room temperature before you start to cook it? I take steak out of the fridge at least an hour before I plan to cook it. Also, stick it in a hot oven for 5 minutes if you want it more well-done.
            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

            Comment


            • #7
              sear both sides on the highest heat in a dry pan for about a minute or so then reduce the heat down to med or medium low and add your fat. go 3 minutes each side, starting with the side you first seared. You don't have to time but 3-4 minutes is average for a 1" cut. You'll know it's proper when it glistens and some of the juices come up
              Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
                Have a look at this video: Jamie Oliver - Perfect Steak - YouTube
                Awesome video! Thanks for showing me that.

                @Sungrazer: usually I do take it straight from the fridge a few minutes before it hits the pan. But I've had similar results when I've taken it out an hour before cooking.

                After watching Jamie Oliver's video I think I need the pan hotter. And either move the steaks apart from each other, or cook them one at a time. Also, maybe some of those extra flavours he adds while cooking. YUM!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kimelah View Post
                  Sorry couldn't resist sharing one of my favorite quotes from The Tenth Kingdom:
                  Wolf: No, no! "Rare" implies dangerously cooked. When I say rare I mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me.
                  --Trish (Bork)
                  TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                  http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                  FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dr. Bork bork View Post
                    sorry couldn't resist sharing one of my favorite quotes from the tenth kingdom:
                    Wolf: No, no! "rare" implies dangerously cooked. When i say rare i mean just let it look at the oven in terror, then bring it out to me.
                    rofl!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kimelah View Post
                      I’ll have to settle for sub-standard restaurant steak made of meat of unknown (but most likely horrifying) origins.
                      Read post #2.

                      Also, don't forget, restaurants can get prime grade, which is something you can't touch at your average meat packer or market.

                      ETA - Two more things: You need to test your meat for doneness, either checking by touch, or with a temp gauge.
                      Last edited by davem; 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM.
                      My Fitday public journal.
                      Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                      Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                      Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Turn oven on to 350.

                        Wait 5 minutes.

                        Start heating a skillet (I like black iron).

                        Put in your fat of choice.

                        When hot, put steak in for 2 minutes.

                        Flip and place in the oven for 10. (More or less depending on thickness)

                        Remove and let rest covered while deglazing the pan, I usually melt some butter (maybe heating some leftover veggies in it as well) to pour on the steak.

                        Enjoy.
                        Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You're using the George Foreman Grill right?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            OMG send that to me please i will nom that shit


                            Originally posted by Kimelah View Post
                            I thought I finally knew how to cook steak. I thought Iíd finally discovered the TRICK. And then, it degraded. Every time I cooked steak, it got worse and worse. I am now standing at the edge of the point of no return. If I donít figure out what Iím doing wrong, Iíll never have home-cooked medium-rare steak again. Iíll have to settle for sub-standard restaurant steak made of meat of unknown (but most likely horrifying) origins.

                            This is what I tried to eat tonight, and feed to my 16yo daughter who also wonít eat what Iíve created.



                            This is what I'm seeing that I don't like: it's cooked on the outside, then goes to medium-rare, and the middle is raw.

                            What I want is this:



                            Can anybody help me make this?

                            (I hope this post-with-pics works.)
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                            Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                            CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                            Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                              Turn oven on to 350.

                              Wait 5 minutes.

                              Start heating a skillet (I like black iron).

                              Put in your fat of choice.

                              When hot, put steak in for 2 minutes.

                              Flip and place in the oven for 10. (More or less depending on thickness)

                              Remove and let rest covered while deglazing the pan, I usually melt some butter (maybe heating some leftover veggies in it as well) to pour on the steak.

                              Enjoy.
                              Pretty much this..^

                              Cast iron finished in the oven is the only way I'll cook a steak these days..

                              The meat needs to be at room temp. I generally coat each side with a light coating of olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper when I first get it out of the fridge and then I let it sit for about an hour.

                              I cook about medium high heat. I use clarified butter because it has a higher smoke point than regular butter.
                              3 minutes a side in the skillet. Transfer to the oven... not sure on the time, but if you are not good with judging "doneness", insert a meat thermometer into the side of the steak. When it hits 135, pull it and let it rest for a medium steak.

                              I generally sautee mushrooms/onions in the clarified butter/steak drippings and when the onions start to get opaque my 1.5-2" thick steak is ready to rest.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X