X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good word about nuts...

Hey Guys,

Wanted to ask you advice on something.

I was under the impression that nuts were a "goto" food when keeping primal. On some of the threads I have been reading, people have stated that eating a large amount of nuts may stop weight/fat loss.

Why I ask this is that I get threw my day by eating alot of nuts. I make them up into bars/squares, which are mixed with a little dried fruit, egg, and spices. As I am limited in kitchen access, I make a batch of this up at the start of the week and it becomes my "goto" food...

I wanted to know if this is hampering my lifestyle change. Doing all I can to stay primal, but this last few months have been a test...

Let me know what you think the good world is....

-Shifty
    Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Starting weight - 2.11.13 - 96 kg
    Starting measurement - waist - 116cm
    Numbers change every 50 days

They're primal but have mucho calories. Apparently also plateau causing. Might want to watch. I've gone from nuts and berries for every lunch to salmon salads.

Comment

Originally posted by glorth2 View Post
      Apparently also plateau causing.
      This would very much be the case for me. Once I stepped things up and tried my best to be as Primal as possible (added nuts as a main bases for eating) my weight seems to stabilise very quickly... (Sigh)

How much is too much then?

-Shifty
      Shifty's primal journey 2.0 -The daily online account of Shifty's journey in a un-primal world!

Comment

Bear in mind they're high in omega 6 and phytates so large amounts are counterproductive to health as well as weight loss:

http://chriskresser.com/another-reas...o-nuts-on-nuts
        The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
        (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
        (Arthur De Vany)

Comment

More than a small handful each day is too much for me. Maybe 1/4 cup?

Comment

Also, define nuts. Almonds aren't even technically nuts. There's a big difference between peanuts and hazelnuts.
            carl's cave

Comment

It depends on what else you are eating, and if you can control your nut intake. Nuts are high in Omega 6 (save for walnuts), phytic acids (do you soak them)?, calories, are a combination of fat and carb, and are easy to overindulge in particulary in a trail-mix kind of situation. From what you've said, it is likely that you have created your primal candy, and nuts should be treated more as flavoring rather than a staple. 1 oz is a good limit.

If you need a handy snack, you can't go wrong with boiled eggs. People generally would eat hard-boiled eggs only when hungry and stop when full (there are always exception, obviously). I also make eggplant cavaiar as a low calories substitute for nut butter, lol.

Properly soaked beans imo are superior to nuts as food!
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                Also, define nuts. Almonds aren't even technically nuts. There's a big difference between peanuts and hazelnuts.
                I use Walnuts, Almonds and Hazelnuts. I also use some cranberries and some dried mango. two eggs, and sone nutmeg and cinnamon.
                They are all the main ingredients. I don't eat peanuts...

-Shifty

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  From what you've said, it is likely that you have created your primal candy, and nuts should be treated more as flavoring rather than a staple. 1 oz is a good limit.
                  Thast what I was worried about. As things have moved on, I have relied on these bars as my main form of nutrition. Its just due to living at a bording school, and not having access to a kitchen. I'm glad I asked around. Looks like I am back to vegetables and cottage cheese.

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                  If you need a handy snack, you can't go wrong with boiled eggs. People generally would eat hard-boiled eggs only when hungry and stop when full (there are always exception, obviously).
                  Good idea. I think I will hard boil some eggs and start using them as snacks.

[QUOTE=Leida;589431I also make eggplant cavaiar as a low calories substitute for nut butter, lol. [/QUOTE]

Care to share the recipe?

-Shifty

Comment

Working...
                  X