Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What veggies do you avoid due to carb count?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What veggies do you avoid due to carb count?

I try and avoid root veggies, winter squashes and beans but there are some veg out there that have surprisingly high carbs!

Onions! What the heck, I LOVE onions!

Any other surprise carby veggies out there I should be made aware of?

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

I'm similar, Tara. I consume beans not at all, sweet potatoes and winter squash only rarely (once a month or less), carrots in moderation (once or twice a week), and onions frequently (daily). You can't part me from my onions. You cannot!

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Taken from > lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm

Starchy (High Carb) Vegetables

The main veggies to be avoided when reducing carbohydrates are the starchier vegetables:

* Beets

* Carrots on some diets, but they aren't as high as others in this group

* Corn

* Parsnips

* Peas

* Plantains

* Potatoes in all forms

* Winter Squashes (particularly acorn and butternut)

Comment

+1 on onions. I use onions in my cooking daily I eat mostly salad greens, bell peppers, lots of brassica and veggies I find at the Indian store (gourds, baby eggplants etc).

Comment

beets

love 'em

Comment

Onions and garlic are just fantastic!! I can't imagine life without them!

I happen to be addicted to broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach.

Unfortunately I ADORE sweet potatoes, love love love. Love. These I avoid nowadays and walk past them quickly at the grocery. Every very rarely I will buy one and cut it up small julienne and roast them like french fries in the oven. But I haven't done that in probably 4 months now? Even before I started PB.

Comment

WOW. I eat all of them, but in moderation. I rarely go over 50-75 g of carbs a day, and I don't try to limit it or anything like that.

By the way, is corn really a veggie? I think not.

Comment

CC6 -

Well... you and I may not think corn is a veggie, but I bet 99% of all CW people do.

And...beets...ew.

Comment

potatoes and beans

i regularly eat weekly:

-lil kabocha

-turnips

-red/green cabbage

-spinach,kale,romaine

-turnips, parsnips & carrots in moderation

-beet, celariac

-mushrooms galore (particularly oyster and portabella)

-broccoli/cauliflower

i LOVE veggies...seriously

Comment

Veggies I eat are all green. Except onions, tomatoes, and any variation of peppers (bell, jalapeño, habanero)

I go out of my way and/or use heavy moderation with carrots, any type of potatoes, corn, etc..

Comment

I use tons of onions as well. I do try to restrict the root veggies to occasional use. Tubers to very rarely.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

In an attempt to eat local, organic during the great Canadian winter without summer prep I am eating many of the starchy veggies mentioned (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, winter squashes, onions, turnips, celeriac)but in moderation plus greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, cabbages and mushrooms. And non-local veggies including spinach, kale, broccoli and cauliflower.

I can usually keep carbs low by balancing my quantities and daily foods.

Made my first kale chips last night and they were yummy and easy to eat.

Comment

I eat carrots and onions in small amounts - they're tasty and have some useful nutrients, don't see the point in avoiding them because of a few carbs.

From the list: corn's a grain, peas are legumes, potatoes are tubers (are legumes and tubers subcategories of vegetable? I don't know).

Comment

I don't worry about carbs from veggies at all.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
                            ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Comment

To add to that list, tomatoes are a fruit

Comment

Working...
                              X