Why aren't I losing weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't I losing weight?

I am not a happy person, at the moment. I switched from being a vegan to this diet; I wanted to lose weight. I've had liquid.... uhh... movements since the day I started; and I've lost like 6 lbs in two weeks (I weigh 476 lbs).

What am I doing wrong?
    • 50% calories from fat
    • under 3000 calories a day
    • no processed foods, at all.

Not a lot of excercise, other than the work I do, which is standing / walking all day.

Should I give it time, or do I need to switch it up?

Could you post more info - your age, height, any health conditions and a few days of your diet?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

How long have you been Vegan, and what does a typical day look like?

Comment

Vegan and 476 pounds?

Comment

Could you post more info - your age, height, any health conditions and a few days of your diet?
          Sure!

Height: 6'8"
          Weight: 476
          Health Conditions: Moderate Smoker (1/2 pack a day or less), slightly elevated blood pressure.

Typical day:

Breakfast:
          • 1-2 eggs, prepared (hard boiled, omelette, poached, etc)
          • Protein (chicken sausage, bacon)

Lunch:
          • BAS (spinach greens, carrots, pickles, hard boiled egg, chicken sausage)
          • Balsimic / Raspberry Vinagerette (no sugar added)

Dinner:
          • IF 4 days a week.
          • Protein (steak, hamburger patties, chicken sausage)

Snack:
          • Throughout the day I snack on diced up carrots... usually about 2 cups a day.

Now... the chicken sausages are from Costco; so I have an immense amount of them; thats why they show up so often. They have no nitrates, gluten, or additives; just chicken, red pepper, garlic, and seasoning.

I try to do IF for dinner as I get off at 10pm and try not to eat after 8pm. Some nights I succeed, others I fail. That is what I think my problem is, eating late before bed.

The only medication I am on is atenolol for high blood pressure. I used to go to the gym 3-5 days a week, but this atenolol gives me chest pains and shortness of breath every time I excercise, so that's out...

Comment

Originally posted by Finnabair View Post
            Vegan and 476 pounds?
            I started off weighting 532 lbs in June; I went full vegan until two weeks ago. Prior to that, I had been a vegetarian for about 9 months.

Comment

I'm confused.... you're complaining about losing 6lbs in 2 weeks with no exercise beyond walking? That would be classified as a "miracle cure" in any CW circle.

Comment

I think you will do well on Paleo. Give your body time to adjust. You've made some incredible changes quite recently.

Comment

It's still a little hard to tell since I don't know how much of each protein you are eating. Are you struggling with hunger or do you generally feel satisfied with your meals? Can you get rid of the carrot snacks? The snacking is just giving you little insulin spikes throughout the day - better to eat more at your meals and then nothing in between.

Personally, I do better with more fat that you are eating every day. Too much protein can raise blood sugars - so for me, eating more fat works better. Also - 6 lbs in two weeks in nothing to scoff at....that is over 100 lbs of weight loss in a year! I never lost more than 6 lbs a month eating this way but since I am never hungry and feel great eating this way I didn't see the need to rush.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Do some kind of core and/or muscle-building exercise. Planks, pushups, body-squats, anything. Also, keep in mind the unseen; when you "lose 6 lbs", that's not taking into account any potential muscle gained.
                    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

maybe you must lift heavy things.

Comment

You have to give it time. Your body's not going to just eat itself in two weeks. Try to move throughout the day as much as possible. Give it another three weeks and check your progress.

Comment

I had about 100 lb to lose (55 lb lost, 45 to go roughly) and it's been a slow process. Don't get despondent, this is really an amazing way to lose weight. It's so frustrating when you have a lot of weight to lose, the road can stretch out in front of you and look endless when the scale only drops a pound or two a week. I have often felt that way which can then spiral into losing motivation and eventual self-loathing. However, this time I have just kept going, keeping myself motivated by constantly reading and considering different approaches and trying to understand what can work for me. Now I look back and think that although I'm probably not going to inspire anyone with my example of not so rapid weight loss, nonetheless here I am, 55 lb lighter and honestly, the fact that it's taken so long is sort of irrelevant at this very moment. Just my approach, YMMV.

I don't want to over complicate things, but consider researching Leptin. Check out this blog:

THE LEPTIN RX……….. FAQ’s | Jack Kruse

And this behemoth thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32345.html

It gave me a good burst of additional weight loss and might work even better for you. It's Primal just with some specific meal timings and tweaking the macros a little. The Dr who blogs about it lost 133 lb fairly quickly, just something for you to consider.

Good luck, hang in there, keep your head down and just keep putting one foot in front of the other, one day we'll all be reading your Primal success story on a Friday afternoon.
                          My Self Optimization Blog

Comment

have you tried going on a 40+ hour fast?

i have read of a man that fasted for 40 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggie View Post
                              I am not a happy person, at the moment. I switched from being a vegan to this diet; I wanted to lose weight. I've had liquid.... uhh... movements since the day I started; and I've lost like 6 lbs in two weeks (I weigh 476 lbs).

What am I doing wrong?
                              • 50% calories from fat
                              • under 3000 calories a day
                              • no processed foods, at all.

Not a lot of excercise, other than the work I do, which is standing / walking all day.

Should I give it time, or do I need to switch it up?
                              6lbs in 2 weeks sounds reasonable.

How to Lower Your Blood Sugar
                              The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. » Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

Comment

Working...
                              X