THe Raw Food Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THe Raw Food Diet

Being a type 2 diabetic, this article scares me a bit. What do you think about the raw food low fat take?

The Primal Diet: Where It Goes Wrong

Raw foodists are crazy. All look like cancer patients and can only eke out a pathetic existence in rich industrial societies by eating vast quantities of processed vegetable oils and butter. Emaciated is the operative word here when describing them. According to a German study on them half of the women in it stopped menstruating completely.

So it's basically a diet that if followed by our ancestors since Homo habilis would have led to the extinction of the species.

Comment

Boy, where to start? So many errors/fallacies. First, PB and other paleo-centric ways of eating don't restrict non-starchy vegetables. Rather they encourage lots of vegetables. And a small amount of fruit is OK, especially berries. And even some tubers are acknowledged as OK from time to time. Regarding the saturated fat and cholesterol issue, please look futher into the research. There are multitudes of studies and metastudies that have now concluded that dietary fat and cholesterol do not cause atherosclerosis. See Health and Disease and Dogged Blog: A Crock of Cholesterol for starters. Check the references at the bottom of the pages.

There are a ton of posts here in the forum that do a great job debunking these myths. Browse around. Use the forum search function.
      You will find information that is sure to calm your fears.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by kap View Post
        There are a ton of posts here in the forum that do a great job debunking these myths. Browse around. Use the forum search function.
        You will find information that is sure to calm your fears.

Kevin
        Yep. Put simply humans are not chimps and trying to eat like one will outright kill you unless you guzzle on vegetable oils and/or butter. And if you do that you'll just be malnourished and one bad day away from giving cannibalism a go.

Comment

You might as well ask if the crazy guy on the corner with the "The End Is Near" sign raises good points...
          Lifting Journal

Comment

Just getting started looking for a plan to control my type II. Lots of info out there. Have been dabbling with Primal can't afford to make a mistake at this point in life. middle aged, overweight and diabetic. mistake could kill me.....

Comment

We've got lots of former type II's around here so maybe they can fill you in.

Comment

Cooking does a lot of good things to a lot of food. They're just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wetzel View Post
                  Just getting started looking for a plan to control my type II. Lots of info out there. Have been dabbling with Primal can't afford to make a mistake at this point in life. middle aged, overweight and diabetic. mistake could kill me.....
                  If you want information, there's plenty here, all of it backed up with legit academic studies, not some vegan idiot guessing.

T2D is a piece of cake to reverse with primal+proper heavy lifting. I just had a client reverse 25yrs of diabeties with a couple months of both. All his other bloodwork is perfect now too-BP, CHO, A1c, BG, etc.
                  Lifting Journal

Comment

clients? curious to what proper heavy lifting is......

Comment

This article is off on a number of this. For instance, it says that humans only began hunting 200k years ago. Let's assume that's true, then that also happens to conincide with the appearance of anatomically modern humans. Also, evidence of meat consumption (remember we started off as scavengers, not hunters) in the form of stone tools and corresponding marks on fossilized bone got back to 2.5 million years ago.

I certainly believe we are meant to eat a lot of plants, and believe some raw food is good for you, but we have been eating meat (and have been naturally selected for that trait) for a long time.

I really think vegetarianims and veganism are more political statements than diets.
                      Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

Originally posted by wetzel View Post
                        clients? curious to what proper heavy lifting is......
                        Successful and popular approaches to heavy lifting: "Starting Strength" and "Strong Lifts" both focus on compound movements: squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, chin ups, etc. They vary in rep/set schemes mostly. Either would be good. I'm not sure where Starting Strength program has you start weight-wise, but Strong Lifts encourages people that are new to it to start with an empty bar (swallow your pride) and progress slowly, sooner than you think the workouts become very challenging.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

While eating lots of raw foods makes me feel full of vitality, some raw vegetables just give me GAS! Ever eat raw cabbage? Broccoli? A whole bag of carrots? Watch out.
                          Woman, Artist, Wife, Visionary, Mother, Gardener, Daughter, Tea-drinker, Friend, Believer.

Comment

My brother is a T2 diabetic who was only going from bad to worse on CW info and drugs. He had to start shooting insulin a couple of times a day and that was on top of all the drugs they could throw at him. First we both discovered that nightshades were killing us and causing arthritis to run rampant in our system. Stopping nightshades caused us both to start loosing weight. Then came gluten and it brought more improvements. I started paleo 9 months ago and did so well (have lost over 100lbs total now - 75 since primal/paleo). He started a couple months ago and is now off all insulin and is ready to cut down on meds (yes - he's lost weight - like 80 lbs or more). He now rides his bike most places and is improving every day. Please do your research and read the success stories posted here. It's one thing to read a doctor's study but when you find people with the same problems as you and see how they have improved or reversed their diseases, that is what meant something to me.

Comment

From the practical viewpoint, I find raw diets unsustainable by someone who leads a busy life. Paleo/Primal on the other hand, is extremely convenient and flexible enough to adjust for individual needs in the grey areas (fat to carb ratio; tubers; dairy; nuts/legumes/rice). Overoll, the core idea is to eat plenty of vegetables, some fruit and non-processed sources of protein & injest as little chemical additives beloved by the food industry as possible? Really, what can be healthier than that for an omnivoir?
                              Last edited by Leida; 10-04-2011, 07:35 AM.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X