Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diet for dogs better than normal but not raw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet for dogs better than normal but not raw?

Anyone have any recommendations for food and where to buy them that is better than traditional grain products for dogs that isn't raw? I'm pretty sure raw at this point making 10.00 an hour is outside of my budget if I want to do anything besides feed my dog :P.

I am however thinking about getting them something better than standard as I love my dogs and if I ever get the money I need I might do raw but for now I don't think I can.

Thanks for any and all input.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

I have just started looking into feeding raw, and it will actually cost me less than the decent grain-free dog food that I currently feed my dog and cat.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

We feed our dog EVO its Primal... for dogs LOL

EVO Premium Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Treats ? Natura Pet Products

:-)

Comment

Costco carries a grain-free food for a reasonable price, and the bag reads fairly well, you could give it a try.
        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

We give our dog Blue Buffalo grain-free. He gobbles it up. Hopefully by the next time he goes to the vet he will have dropped some weight.

What is the brand that Costco carries? I haven't seen it before.
          http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

I believe its called Nature's Domain, I know its made by the same people who produce Canidae and Taste of the Wild. I'll probably give it a try, the price is pretty reasonable at I think $35/bag.
            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Taste of the Wild is probably the least expensive option I have found out there with reasonable ingredients. If you can find a place that gives you a free bag after 10 or 12 purchases of the same stuff that also cuts down on the cost.

I am actually cutting the Taste of the Wild with some of the Costco Grain free to save, the budget has gotten tight for us. The costco brand changed recently, its now 'Natures Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato'. It also shot up in price, from $29 for 35# to $37. Also, I found when I fed the Costco brand exclusively, they had a TON of poo.....must have A LOT of sweet potato filler or other un-digestables in there. So I cut in about half a costco bag to 1 of the TOTW, seems to be best for their health and 'poo' output.
              Erin
              Daily Vlogs
              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

I've been feeding my dog the grain-free brand available at Costco for 2 or 3 bags' worth, and she loves it, and her coat looks great, no downsides afaict. The variety in NC is I think salmon and sweet potatoes, or something like that.

It's a very reasonable price IMO. Just hope they continue carrying it, as the other brands' prices are a bit sky high for me!
                "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Canola oil is listed in Taste of the Wild...is that better for dogs than it is for us...is it a cost cutting thing because otherwise their dog food would be really expensive?

Canola was on the list of bad oils at least for humans right? High Omega 6 content maybe even transfat?

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/dealer_locator/

They have tons of online stores....any recommendations on any of them or a good rating site that I can use to ferret out advantages and disadvantages?
                  Height: 6'1"
                  Primal start date: July 1st 2011
                  Start Weight: 275
                  Current Weight: 248
                  Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
                  Body Fat 25.4%
                  Fat Mass 63.721
                  Fat Free Mass 74.6%
                  Fat Free Mass 187.087
                  Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
                  Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Comment

I feed our dog and cats pet food from Orijen. They love it and have actually slimmed down since eating food that doesn't contain grains. Amazon.com: Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 5.5lb: Pet Supplies is a link to the dog food on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaflard View Post
                      I feed our dog and cats pet food from Orijen. They love it and have actually slimmed down since eating food that doesn't contain grains. Amazon.com: Orijen Regional Red Grain-Free Dry Dog Food, 5.5lb: Pet Supplies is a link to the dog food on Amazon.
                      I have the same brand.
                      Orijen is pretty pricey, but the same company also puts out Acana which is cheaper. Orijen is 80% meat, 20% fruits & veggies, Acana is 65% meat, 35% fruits and veggies. Both are grain free. All of the ingredients are very high quality, to the point where they advertise that it is fit for human consumption(!).
                      There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

I tried the Costco 'Natures Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato'. I didn't like it it and neither did my dog. I cut it with her regular food to transition her over but she pushed it aside and ate the bits of her old food. I still have most of the bag in my freezer - going to try it again when I get low on the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Meadow View Post
                          The costco brand changed recently, its now 'Natures Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato'. It also shot up in price, from $29 for 35# to $37.
                          Just tossing this out there... I feed my dog 100% raw. I've only been doing it for 6 weeks or so and he is doing great. This Costco brand is roughly $1 per pound. For the most part feeding him raw costs less than this. I feed him mostly chicken (with some organs thrown in too). I buy whatever chicken parts are on sale - this week it was whole chickens for .89/lb. Last week it was bone in chicken breasts for .99/lb. BJs sells drumsticks for .99/lb. We have been trying to get him to gain weight so he gets ~1.5 lbs per day.

His coat looks great, he doesn't smell very doggy-like and poop is relatively minimal (especially compared to the rice/chicken combo the vet told me to feed him - eww...)

Check out dogster.com - they have a whole forum devoted to feeding raw!

Comment

Consider this: If you're looking at a 95% meat and organ canned food you're going to be paying big bucks.

And if you're going to be giving either kibble or slop in a can your dog will still be at risk of developing dental caries and eventually systemic disease, which you're going to have to pay for in the way of vet bills.

A dog needs about 2-3% of his body weight in meat/bones/organs per day. That's often cheaper than an expensive high-end commercial food and future vet bills.

Whole chickens aren't that expensive. A $6 chicken (with giblets) will last a 100 lb dog for two or three days. That's $60- 90 a month in dog food. And a decrease in potential health problems. Not too bad. And if your dog weighs less than 100lb...

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                              Just tossing this out there... I feed my dog 100% raw. I've only been doing it for 6 weeks or so and he is doing great. This Costco brand is roughly $1 per pound. For the most part feeding him raw costs less than this.
                              As much as I support raw (I actually feed my 4 cats raw and the dogs used to be on raw, hubby wanted to go back to kibble for them...)....you cannot compare raw food to kibble on a pound for pound basis. Raw food moisture content is totally different causing the weights to be incomparable. A lb of dry food goes much further then a lb of raw food.

That said, if you do some serious digging, yes, you can feed a raw food diet comparable to a decent grain free kibble. Its getting harder as meat prices have creeped up in the last few years, especially when trying to keep variety in the diet (chicken alone would not be good), but it can be done.
                              Erin
                              Daily Vlogs
                              Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X