Why do we like salt so much

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do we like salt so much

I am going primal right now but I am having such a pain to leave salt. Even Jesus referred to "the salt of life".

I have observed that probably everything that we naturally like is good (like sweet fruits, or fat, for instance). I have seen that most people likes salt a lot. How is salt not primal?

Salt isn't primal? Salt is essential to living. You need it to produce stomach acid, as it's the only source of chlorine for the body that I am aware of. You need sodium as it is vital for a lot of things going on in the body. It helps you to retain water, especially in hot weather.

Comment

salt makes everything taste better, that's why
      beautiful
      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
      lol

Comment

it's delicious

Comment

It may be that you're losing too much which is why you find impossible to give up. It can easily happen when you start out - I had problems with it.

This might be helpful to you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38383.html

Comment

I have to add salt to every dinner or I get leg cramps. Salt is a very basic and essential component of our bodies.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Why are you giving up salt?
              Lifting Journal

Comment

salt is in the oceans and in the skies, it is fundamental to a good life

Comment

We have an innate preference for salt, sweet, and fat because. It's not an accident that we like those things so much.
                  1) salt is an essential mineral.
                  2) fat and sweet signify caloric density.
                  That's a very simplistic overview of why preference for those tastes has been selected for.

I don't know where the idea that salt isn't paleo/primal came from, but it's wrong and stupid to try and remove it from your diet entirely.
                  Also, "everything we like is good"= DUH. Of course we say fat/salt/sweet are good- because we like them!

Comment

i wont disagree about requiring sodium and chloride but generally we wouldnt be adding the massive amounts of salt onto food like we do now..even sea salt for all its positive aspects compared to crap processed salt is not needed as much..for most people the problem is way too little potassium...once you up your potassium you crave salt less i think altho im all for adding a pinch here and there to meals esp. if you eat a ton of fat and cooked meat! plus take into account that sometimes its an electrolye imbalance and ppl forget that sodium cholride and potassium are not the only electrolytes! we just need a good balance of nutrients, period.

Comment

No reason for a healthy person to give up salt. The only problem is that processed foods have trained our tastebuds to expect LOTS of it. I definitely don't avoid salt and get plenty of it. However, I rarely use it when preparing food or at the table (though I'll use canned tomatoes or other ingredients that contain salt). Your tastebuds will readjust and allow you to appreciate a wider range of flavors if you don't use so much salt. It doesn't take all that long to happen, either. A couple of weeks will do the trick.
                      Life is short: Void the warranty.

Comment

My taste for salt went way down when I went primal. Now olives can taste too salty to me sometimes! Just removing processed foods from your diet will greatly limit your salt intake as they are full of it. I would not worry about a little salt you add unless you have a medical reason to avoid it all together for a while. You will also start tasting how sweet foods naturally are - like raw spinach (which my daughter thinks I'm nuts for saying).

Comment

I seem to remember hearing that lack of salt can be a deadly problem in places like the Amazon rain forest, where little occurs naturally.

I think the more clean/whole your food is, the less you need to worry about salt added at the table. Tons and tons of salt are added to processed foods, and not necessarily to make the food taste 'salty'. It does a lot as far as drying, preserving, inhibiting bacteria growth, disguising chemical after tastes, bringing out flavors, perserving colors, etc. Yet, since it is done during processing and is usually inherent/interior to the food, it doesn't necessarily taste very 'salty'.

When you add salt at the table, it is on the outside and immediately percieved by the tongue, so you don't need much to get a 'salty' taste.

Yet another reason to not worry so much about CW, and just eat real whole foods.
                          Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

I'm going to take an educated guess on why we like salt so much.

Salts are essential. Salts can be composed of sodium, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium and can be chock full of nutrients. Without it, your blood pressure crashes, you can't retain water, you get light headed and you pass out. The Primal Blueprint is a low salt diet - natural foods are not exactly chock full of sodium, for example. Your salt intake is going to be low eating lettuce, avocado and steak, and for some people, this can be an issue. You may have to supplement with salt if you're a heavy runner or lifter because you're sweating so much, you could become dehydrated from a lack of electrolytes. I'm guessing salt seems so good because historically, we had limited access to something that is so essential to survival, so if we got ahold of something salty, it was probably in our best interest to eat up! Outside of coastal regions, it was pretty hard to come by. Now that it's in seemingly everything in such massive quantities, we have a problem. What was once a good thing is now causing high blood pressure and unnecessary water retention. Like everything in this world, "too much" is toxic.

That's my guess.
                            Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

IMO if your not eating any processed foods with a ton of salt added to it then add as much salt from the shaker as you want...I read somewhere that the average america only gets like 12% of their daily salt intake from the salt shaker

Comment

Working...
                              X