Danger in using Coconut Flour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger in using Coconut Flour?

I've seen many recipes on here and Paleo sites for items containing coconut or almond flour. I've made coconut flour pancakes for my 2 year old and she loves them.

My concern is I've also heard rumblings about oxidation in cooking with such flours as well as concerns over the phytic acid in coconut flour.

Does anyone have some good information on this (links, etc.) they could share?
    I want to avoid wheat/gluten at all cost for my kids' diet but I want to make sure I'm not using an even worse alternative.

I wouldn't stress using coconut flour. It's cheap, and if it's the sole source of phytic acid in her diet, she'll be far better off than many. Almond flour, on the other hand, is something to avoid unless it was made using soaked or sprouted almonds. It's also fairly expensive, and since it's not very nutritious, it's not really worth the money (in my opinion).

Comment

Originally posted by tarek View Post
      I wouldn't stress using coconut flour. It's cheap, and if it's the sole source of phytic acid in her diet, she'll be far better off than many. Almond flour, on the other hand, is something to avoid unless it was made using soaked or sprouted almonds. It's also fairly expensive, and since it's not very nutritious, it's not really worth the money (in my opinion).
      ....coconut flour is cheap?
      I mean... in theory it could be dirt cheap as it's pretty much a refined byproduct of various coconut milk & oil manufacturing processes, but around here I've yet to find it any cheaper than $7 per pound

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
        I mean... in theory it could be dirt cheap as it's pretty much a refined byproduct of various coconut milk & oil manufacturing processes, but around here I've yet to find it any cheaper than $7 per pound
        I think tarek meant cheap-ER. Around here you can get coconut flour for about $5+ a pound, but almond flour is usually $10-11. It's my understanding that almond flour is high in omega 6 and phytic acid, like almonds. While coconut flour is quite a bit more expensive than wheat flour, you use much, much less per recipe (a lot of eggs) and I find that I really only use it on occasion. We're just used to not eating baked goods anymore. And Mark's banana/egg/almond butter pancake recipe is ah-mazing! No flour necessary.
        http://baconandwhimsy.blogspot.com

Comment

These are super easy to make, tasty, and no coconut/almond flour.

1 1/2 scoops protein powder
          1/4 tsp Baking Powder
          2 Eggs
          2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
          Shredded Coconut(Optional, but tasty)
          Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Since it is another result of the processes used to make coconut oil and coconut milk, it is only as refined as those two products are. In my area, I've found bags of coconut flour for $5. As Madelyn said, you don't use nearly as much in baking as you would wheat flour. Almond flour, by comparison, is much more expensive. Where I live, at least.

Comment

Yes.

Azukar Organics Natural and Organic Coconut Flour, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

6 pounds for $20. I have this exact flour and it's VERY high quality - just as good as Bob's Red Mill. It's organic and certified gluten-free.

I have almond meal, but I try not to use it because it's a caloric bomb, high omega 6 and oxidizes easily. I only use it for cheesecake crust. Luckily, I get it from $3.99/lb from Trader Joe's
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                Yes.

Azukar Organics Natural and Organic Coconut Flour, 32-Ounce Bags (Pack of 3): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

6 pounds for $20. I have this exact flour and it's VERY high quality - just as good as Bob's Red Mill. It's organic and certified gluten-free.

I have almond meal, but I try not to use it because it's a caloric bomb, high omega 6 and oxidizes easily. I only use it for cheesecake crust. Luckily, I get it from $3.99/lb from Trader Joe's
                wow
                I swear, it'd almost be worth a trip to the US border just to pickup stuff like this, seems like once a week I spot some crazy deal on amazon, but Amazon.ca is still stuck in 1999, and doesn't ship anything but books, CDs, DVDs, etc... and other crap nobody actually buys anymore up here to Canada

Comment

recipe by Soccer Grok!

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post

1/4 tsp Baking Powder
                  2 Eggs
                  2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
                  What the heck do you call it?

Comment

It's a lot better than nut flours.
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post

1/4 tsp Baking Powder
                      2 Eggs
                      2 Tbsp Cottage Cheese
                      Coconut flour isn't all that bad. Yes, it has anti-nutrients in it, but it's lower than whole wheat or corn flour (white flour is lower in anti-nutrients than coconut flour, but coconut flour is gluten free and low GI, so...). It's very, very low in polyunsaturated fat (unlike nut flours), so it's much, much better to cook with. I'd rather cook with coconut flour than whey protein. That's a whole issue in itself. You're basically oxidizing isolated cholesterol. Apparently, cholesterol in whole food form isn't all that bad, but oxidized dietary cholesterol - the kind you get from isolated protein + heat - may be worse than all of them. Protein powder ice cream sounds like a great idea, but protein pancakes or bread...I'd stay away.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Living With Phytic Acid - Weston A Price Foundation

COCONUT AND PHYTIC ACID
                        I'm writing in regard to the article written by Ramiel Nagel titled "Living with Phytic Acid" (Spring 2010). In the article there are references to the phytic acid content of coconut. Since the publication of this article people have been asking me whether they should soak coconut or coconut flour to reduce the phytic acid.
                        Phytic acid occurs in nuts and seeds in two forms—phytic acid and phytic acid salts [Reddy, NR and Sathe, SK (Eds.) Food Phytates. CRC Press, 2001]. Both are generally referred to as "phytates." Together, these two compounds make up the total percentage of phytates reported in various foods. However, they do not possess the same chelating power. So the chelating effect of the phytates in corn, wheat, or soy are not the same as those in coconut. You cannot predict the chelating effect based on total phytate content alone.
                        The mineral-binding effect of the phytates in coconut is essentially nonexistent. It is as if coconut has no phytic acid at all. In a study published in 2002, researchers tested the mineral binding capacity of a variety of bakery products made with coconut f lour. Mineral availability was determined by simulating conditions that prevail in the small intestine and colon. The researchers concluded that "coconut flour has little or no effect on mineral availability." (Trinidad, TP and others. The effect of coconut flour on mineral availability from coconut flour supplemented foods. Philippine Journal of Nutrition 2002;49:48-57). In other words, coconut flour did not bind to the minerals. Therefore, soaking or other phytic acid-neutralizing processes are completely unnecessary.
                        Soaking has been suggested as a means to reduce the phytic acid content in grains and nuts. Some suggest coconut flour should also be soaked. To soak coconut flour doesn't make any sense. The coconut meat from which the flour is made, is naturally soaked in water its entire life (12 months) as it is growing on the tree. To remove the meat from the coconut and soak it again is totally redundant. After the coconut meat has been dried and ground into flour, soaking it would ruin the flour and make it unusable. You should never soak coconut flour.
                        In the tropics coconut has been consumed as a traditional food for thousands of years. Those people who use it as a food staple and regard it as "sacred food," do not soak it or process it in any way to remove phytates. It is usually eaten raw. This is the traditional method of consumption. They apparently have not suffered any detrimental effects from it even though in some populations it served as their primary source of food.

Bruce Fife, ND
                        Colorado Springs, Colorado
                        The article he is commenting on is linked above (this update is at the bottom.) Hope that helps!
                        My Before/After Pics
                        Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Working...
                        X