eczema flare up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eczema flare up

I'm having a really ANNOYING eczema flare up on my hand. Driving me absolutely batty with itching. Sigh.

I am thinking it's a new shampoo but I wanted to cover some bases.

Is it possible this could be related to fermented foods? I've started making my own sauerkraut and drinking store bought kombucha. The rash started around the time I started eating those foods. I think I was using the shampoo at least a week before. Unfortunately, it was mild when it started so I didn't pay much attention.

Also, does anyone know how long it should take me to see results? I'm switching back to my old shampoo to see if that does it. How long before this will clear up if that was the problem?

(itch, itch, itch, itch, itch)

I finally, after eliminating a million foods, realized that kombucha was making my excema worse. I used to only get it on my hands, and started getting a rash around my lips. I've read other stories of people's excema getting worse. It's just die-off though, and if you stick with it, it will get better. I wouldn't recommend drinking more than a couple of ounces a day to start, and slowly increase the amount.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Comment

Interesting. I am prone to eczema and kombucha and sauerkraut don't seem to cause flares for me. Shampoos, soaps, sugar, and rough or wool fabrics, even carpeting will start a reaction for sure though so I would guess it is the shampoo. I believe all the good oils I now consume also help my skin keep its barrier better.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonCC View Post
        Also, does anyone know how long it should take me to see results? I'm switching back to my old shampoo to see if that does it. How long before this will clear up if that was the problem?
        My psoriasis clears up usually in 10 days. What ingredients are you using in your sauerkraut?

Comment

Forgot to mention it could be a change in the weather depending on where you live. I used to get flares this time of year during the seasonal transition to dry indoor heat and colder outdoor air. Have you been turning on the heat more lately?

I'd say my flares would last a week to 10 days also.

Comment

Do this for eczema, psoriasis or any other skin problems:

Rub Grapeseed Oil into the affected areas morning & evening. It has miraculous effects for all skin problems. It has been a miracle cure for my itchy, flaking, calloused, stinking feet & rotten toenails. I have feet like a baby since using Grapeseed oil on them every morning. When I stop applying grapeseed oil to my feet, they start getting fugly again within a month.

Send me a personal message to let me know of your results.

Grizz

Comment

The sauerkraut was just green cabbage and salt.

It's not the weather because even though it's gotten cold the last few days, this started when it was still warm. And it's not even cold enough to turn the heat on. I did used to get it worse in the winter, but when I was gluten free, I didn't get it those two winters. Now I'm gluten free and totally grain free so I'd hope it would be the same.

I realized today the fact that it's on both hands, but more on my right is significant. I'm right handed so I use that hand to finger comb and style my hair so it's getting more exposure to hair products (heck, maybe it's not the shampoo and conditioner, but the mousse?). I really, really, really like how my hair looks lately but if it's the problem, it has to go. I'm going to keep eating the sauerkraut and kombucha and just cut the products and see what happens.

Grizz, thanks, I'll see if I can find some at the store.

Comment

Argh.

So it's been 2 weeks (14 days exactly) since I wrote the last post. I stopped using all the new hairproducts at once. I started moisturing every day, using either coconut oil, grapeseed oil or a few different lotions I have used for years.

It started getting better within a week. And then it got WORSE.

It's now spreading to other parts of my hands. It was mostly on my right hand before and I'm right handed so I figured it was something I get in contact with, but now there are more patches on my left (still worse on my right though).

It definitely is colder and that affects eczema, but this isn't the normal eczema I used to get. It's dry red and flaky like my regular eczema, but there are also little hard bumps. Anyone have any idea what that is?

And even though it's colder, it's not yet gotten cold enough to turn the heat on, so not that.

Comment

This is the kind of eczema I get on my hands (hard bumps): Dyshidrosis Are you putting your hands in more water then usual? When I started primal eating, I had a bad flare-up, but that was because I was preparing more food and not just nuking a box and thus washing my hands more often (cleaning veggies, washing after handling meat, etc).

If so, try using gloves when washing dishes, etc and see if that helps?

I've had this type of eczema for as long as I can remember and it ALWAYS flares up when my hands stay moist more then usual (cleaning a house, washing dishes by hand, cleaning veggies, etc).

Comment

Ugh, me too right now! Got a few split knuckles, which I am ALWAYS washing. I work in a restaurant, I have 2 kids, cook from scratch etc ...I do not remember a flare up like this for a few years, but its been off and on since summer. I originally thought it was a new whey protein, but I do not think it was that. Eggs maybe? Sneaky dairy? Or just household cleaners? No change in shampoo or soap/laundry detergent. Heat not on yet in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonCC View Post
                      Argh.

So it's been 2 weeks (14 days exactly) since I wrote the last post. I stopped using all the new hairproducts at once. I started moisturing every day, using either coconut oil, grapeseed oil or a few different lotions I have used for years.

It started getting better within a week. And then it got WORSE.

It's now spreading to other parts of my hands. It was mostly on my right hand before and I'm right handed so I figured it was something I get in contact with, but now there are more patches on my left (still worse on my right though).

It definitely is colder and that affects eczema, but this isn't the normal eczema I used to get. It's dry red and flaky like my regular eczema, but there are also little hard bumps. Anyone have any idea what that is?

And even though it's colder, it's not yet gotten cold enough to turn the heat on, so not that.
                      I'm just curious - did you keep drinking the kombucha or stop it? I recently had a pretty bad flare up on my scalp and had recently been drinking Kombucha....but I'm not sure if they are related or not because a few other things changed.
                      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I haven't actually had kombucha in awhile because I got tired of paying for the store bought stuff and my homemade one isn't ready yet (I'm starting from scratch so the scoby has to grow big enough).

I've had eczema on and off since I was a teen so it's a pre existing condition, it's just figuring out the latest trigger, you know? I'm thinking that what set it off this time was the new hair products, but then once it was already there, it just happened to be a bad time of the year (fall - getting cooler) and yeah, I do wash my hands more when I'm eating this way (more grease from cooking compared to when I was eating low fat and veg).

It's also probably more than just eczema (well, the bumps definitely are). The grandmother I take after had psoriasis so maybe that.

So I think it's not anything I'm doing now, just triggered by the hair products and then kept going, so now I just have to beat it into submission. I went all out last night, lol! Bought dishwashing gloves (I dislike using them, but yeah, they work), hydrocortisone cream, vaseline and cotton gloves to sleep in so I can goop my hands up over night.

Wish me luck :-D

Comment

How's your Vitamin D status? My eczema completely cleared once I was sufficient.
                          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Dyshidrosis (<- wiki link) will definitely be bumpy (picture of bumps here). My bumps look just like that, but usually just in the insides of the fingers.

I've had other forms of eczema as well and most people who get Dyshidrosis usually have other types making it hard to diagnose.

I use a Eucerin hand cream whenever I wash my hands and helps it go away (found out that trick here). Next time I have a flare up I might try coconut oil as this stuff has some less then optimal things in it, but man does it work and not leave the hands greasy (I watch how often I wash my hands now (e.g. is there something else I can do without contaminating things before washing my hands once again, like rinse off some dishes etc)).

Comment

Rather than using harsh cleansers on your skin, try rubbing the cooking grease (bacon, butter, coconut) into your skin. Much better than trying to strip it off, because that takes off your natural protective oils as well.

What you are describing sounds like my wife's allergies- she's allergic to a host of chemicals such as parabens and aldehydes. Even some "natural" soaps and shampoos (I'm looking at you, Kiss My Face!) cause breakouts which start on her hands. It may be something you haven't thought of, but any kind of liquid cleaner, makeup, or lotion can have preservatives in it, and some of the solid ones too.

Comment

Working...
                              X