No announcement yet.

Cheap Primal - Go for broke!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much weight are you looking to lose?
    Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

Originally posted by nopie View Post
      Sounds good. I'll go through my stuff. I used some of it through 3 kids so it's not in 'sell on diaperswappers' condition, but it's functional. It should be light enough to ship cheap if I leave inserts out. I made my own inserts anyways using either prefolds or just absorbent rags/microfiber cloths.
      Honestly, the problem is my daughter has a chlorine sensitivity that went away when we switched to chlorine free diapers. I'm just afraid that when we wash them, she's gonna get rashes again, and that means daddy ain't gonna sleep. Goddamn New Britain water system has the most chlorine of any tap water in Connecticut.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by pacificBeef View Post
      how much weight are you looking to lose?
      All my body fat gone. I have no goals and I'm just listening to my body, only I take coconut oil supplements every day.

This is the ratio I'm pushing for: 50% fat / 30% protein / 20% carbs for now.
      Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM.
      Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
      Follow me on google+
      Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
      "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you might be a candidate for skipping meals. It's not for everyone if you look it up on these boards but I can tell you that it will definitely save you a lot of money eating primal only 1-2 times a day. My monthly bill went down $300-$400 just feeding myself. I have grass fed meat with all my meals and a huge assortment of vegetables and fruits that I enjoy.
        Currently dabbling in: IF, leangains, Starting Strength, 5/3/1

Comment

You bet I am! I at least twice a week.

I workout fasted and wait about a half hour before I provide my body sugar.

I usually hit the protein shake immediately post workout and that seems to work for me.
          Follow me on google+

Comment

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
            You bet I am! I at least twice a week.

I workout fasted and wait about a half hour before I provide my body sugar.

I usually hit the protein shake immediately post workout and that seems to work for me.
            I recommend waiting at least 30 mins to let the HGH increase ride.

Comment

Originally posted by theMarvelousMoment View Post
              I recommend waiting at least 30 mins to let the HGH increase ride.
              Is that for the sugar or the protein or both?

I can wait as long as there's a good reason for it.
              Follow me on google+

Comment

Originally posted by pdovers View Post
                We find other things to cut out of our budget (i. e. no cable tv, used cars with no payments instead of new with high payments, turn off the A/C as soon as we can when the Texas heat subsides) so that we can buy decent quality food. It is worth it. The nutritional value of pasture raised eggs is far superior to conventional eggs. Grass-fed beef is amazing stuff as far as healthy omega-3's go compared to conventional beef. Raw milk unbelievable. These are 3 things my family switched to this year.
                +1!!! No television or internet in my house. It pays off in more ways than one. I also don't own a smartphone, and showering in cold water even makes a dent in the bill. High quality food shouldn't take a back seat to any of these things, IMO.

Also, frozen veggies -- especially in the winter.

Comment

Hey guy, I'm just doing the best I can at the moment. with a food budget (just for myself) of 40$ this week, I think I did pretty good.

1x Spaghetti Squash
                  1x Butternut Squash
                  2x 80/20 regular ground beef (yeah I know it's not grassfed)
                  1x 1 dozen Flaxseed fed chicken eggs
                  1x Unsweetened Coconut Milk
                  1x Button Mushrooms
                  1x Mirepoix Mix

Among other things I had to get for the family, so I'm just living until I get paid.

You guys have to know I would be doing the whole "Bone broth," "grass fed beef delivered to my door" thing if I could this week.

If it makes you guys feel better, I can ride my bike to the gym too :-P.
                  Sorry if I came off other than supportive. I just wanted to make the point that we all make choices about where our $$ goes and I know many families that bitch and moan about the cost of things but spend money (some would say waste) on things that are not on their priority list. Some act like they are powerless to the gas price increases and I just wanted to list that as a possible option for some. When I said the thing about living your best life, I meant that you were doing the best you can. I know that I am blessed with many things, but we also make choices to allow our lifestyle. Cooking from scratch is time consuming as well and not always possible for those who spend so much time working and commuting. I wish you much success and happiness as you work to improve your life and that of your family.

Comment

I find that whole chickens are cheaper than parts, or even cut up parts. Then I can save the back and neck for broth.

One sure-fire way to reduce the grocery bill is to eat less: try the leptin reset thing (only 3 meals per day) or intermittent fasting twice a week.
                    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                      Sorry if I came off other than supportive. I just wanted to make the point that we all make choices about where our $$ goes and I know many families that bitch and moan about the cost of things but spend money (some would say waste) on things that are not on their priority list. Some act like they are powerless to the gas price increases and I just wanted to list that as a possible option for some. When I said the thing about living your best life, I meant that you were doing the best you can. I know that I am blessed with many things, but we also make choices to allow our lifestyle. Cooking from scratch is time consuming as well and not always possible for those who spend so much time working and commuting. I wish you much success and happiness as you work to improve your life and that of your family.
                      You didn't come of insulting! You guys are the tough love I need right now anyway.

I need all the help I can get.

I just fry EVERYTHING, so it's not a problem any more.

Originally posted by ottercat View Post
                      I find that whole chickens are cheaper than parts, or even cut up parts. Then I can save the back and neck for broth.

No chickens here man. The wife never eats poultry because she hates the way the animals are treated. She loves birds anyway.

One sure-fire way to reduce the grocery bill is to eat less: try the leptin reset thing (only 3 meals per day) or intermittent fasting twice a week.
                      I can do a leptin reset every now and then, I just love food. I'm gonna let my body tell me what it wants to eat and I've literally provided NO structure for my meals any more.

I eat when I'm hungry, and I only deny myself food/fast on days when I don't have to work out.

Now excuse me while I eat my BIG ASS FRIED COCONUT OIL SALAD WITH BACON/FRIED EGGS.
                      Coconut Oil [8$] (reusable many times)
                      Chopped shallots/onions/garlic fried in coconut oil, [$2.50]
                      boiled brussel sprouts, [$2.50]
                      fried leftover spaghetti squash, [$2.00]
                      2 flaxseed fed chicken eggs fried in bacon grease, [$4.00] (still have the whole carton)
                      Did I mention Bacon? [any price is worth it, it's the goddamn bat-bacon!]

Probably over 1000 calories

Freaking delicous.
                      Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-04-2011, 07:47 AM.
                      Follow me on google+

Comment

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but grass fed beef isn't a requirement. When you're broke, and need to cut back spending you can still eat conventional meats and produce, and not be doing massive amounts of damage. That's my two cents on that. I prefer grass fed, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't budget it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                          Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but grass fed beef isn't a requirement. When you're broke, and need to cut back spending you can still eat conventional meats and produce, and not be doing massive amounts of damage. That's my two cents on that. I prefer grass fed, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't budget it.
                          Thanks for the reasurance. I got 80/20 from trader joes the other night for really cheap.
                          Follow me on google+

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                            Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but grass fed beef isn't a requirement.
                            Yes, sometimes you have to do the best you can. I get our beef free from family as an annual gift. It's much better than CAFO, but is lot fed at the end. However, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. You do what you can. I can get organic free range eggs for $3 a dozen, and since I eat so many (about 12-15 a week), it's worth the extra expense for nutritional reasons. Otherwise, I just buy the best I can within reason...sometimes organic, sometimes not. I also make my own Greek yogurt, which is very easy, so that saves some if you eat yogurt. Also, as others have mentioned, buying frozen fruits (like berries) and vegetables can save quite a bit.

Comment

Ways we save money:

Buy what's in season for fruit/veggies and buy as local as possible. I've found a year-round produce stand near my house and their prices are often 1/3 to 1/2 cheaper than grocery stores.

In the meat dept, check to see if there's a mark-down bin. I often find meat that's been marked way down because it's about to expire. As long as I cook it right away or stash it in the freezer, it's fine.

We don't run our clothes dryer all the time. We hang a lot of our clothes in our basement near our laundry area. We probably only run the dryer once for every two or three loads we put in the washer. It makes our clothes last longer too.

We use our local library for books and movies. We're book and movie fiends in our house, and our budget for these items was greatly reduced once we started using our local library.

Through a friend of a friend, we found a dinky farm nearby that will harvest a couple of grass-fed steers in a few weeks, and we're getting a 1/4. It will be about $3/lb. This will be about half of what the going rate is around here from the larger farms.

Comment

Is that for the sugar or the protein or both?

I can wait as long as there's a good reason for it.
                                Both. As far as I understand, both carbohydrates and protein illicit an insulin response, which will negate the natural HGH rise after exercise. Taking some BCAA beforehand will minimize muscle breakdown during this period.

Comment

Working...
                                X