Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help GAINING weight on PB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need help GAINING weight on PB!

    Hello All!

    I am a 5'6 small framed 98 lb woman who is looking to gain about 17lb of lean muscle mass. I have been struggling to gain for awhile and have strayed from the PB diet thinking that grains, legumes, and dairy would help me gain but after about 3 months of adding grains back in I have still not gained any weight. The grains that I have been eating are ALL organic, sprouted, and unprocessed but I still know they are not very good for my body.

    My new plan to gain weight is to start lifting heavy weight and try eating all PB again. My question to you all is what foods would you eat to gain the 17 lbs???? How many calories for my height and frame?

    I do have some dietary restrictions but not many. I can have some dairy but NOT milk of any kind (not even raw) or heavy cream. I'm also allergic to whey protein powder. Fortunately cheese and butter are o.k. I can't have caffeine either so dark chocolate is out.

    I have 2 small children so I don't have a ton of time to log all of my food intake. I just want to hear how many calories you think I should be eating and maybe even example days of how to get there.

    I appreciate any and all input. TIA!
    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

  • #2
    Ah, I didn't see you were allergic to milk. That sucks.

    Comment


    • #3
      I drink goats milk and it suits me - if you haven't tried it - I might give that a shot. I would also say go for higher carb version - potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and mix them up with lots of good saturated fats - coconut milk - butter on everything, add honey to things. I wouldn't worry about tracking your calories - it sounds like you just need to eat what you comfortably can - if anything sounds good and you want more, go for it. And at 5'6" and 98 lbs, you could probably stand to gain some fat too. I am 5'7" and just under 120lb and I am small framed, and I am what most people would consider pretty skinny. I am happy with my weight, and I am not down to 13-14% body fat or anything (maybe somewhere between 18 and 20, prolly), but if you gained a few pounds of body fat, it is not going to be bad for you by any means.
      Karin

      A joyful heart is good medicine

      He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

      Mmmmm. Real food is good.

      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

      Comment


      • #4
        I heartily endorse your plan to lift heavy things. That's what helped me gain muscle more than anything about my diet. I would recommend some starch post-lifting also. Good luck and keep us posted on your success!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JKC View Post
          I drink goats milk and it suits me - if you haven't tried it - I might give that a shot. I would also say go for higher carb version - potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and mix them up with lots of good saturated fats - coconut milk - butter on everything, add honey to things. I wouldn't worry about tracking your calories - it sounds like you just need to eat what you comfortably can - if anything sounds good and you want more, go for it. And at 5'6" and 98 lbs, you could probably stand to gain some fat too. I am 5'7" and just under 120lb and I am small framed, and I am what most people would consider pretty skinny. I am happy with my weight, and I am not down to 13-14% body fat or anything (maybe somewhere between 18 and 20, prolly), but if you gained a few pounds of body fat, it is not going to be bad for you by any means.
          I completely agree about gaining some fat and that was my intent when I started to eat a lot more carbs (grains included). Since I've been eating bread, quoina, rice, beans, and dairy and not gaining weight I have decided I need a new plan....protein and heavy lifting. I have done a couple of heavy lifting sessions already and have gained about 2 pounds so I think this will actually work!

          What I need help with is the diet aspect of PB! I think I need about 2500-2800 calories a day to gain of primal foods and I can't seem to get there. The few times that I have tracked (eating grains nonetheless) I have only been able to consume 2200-2400 calories. I need some ideas to consume that many calories of only PB foods.
          Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

          Comment


          • #6
            I decided to stick with the primal blueprint but the grains I'm eating aren't helping me gain weight.

            This is turning more into a health food forum than a primal forum. Sprouted bread is health food. (though it's not healthy) Grok doesn't eat health food...he eats real food.

            Oh, wait, I see....you know the grains aren't good for your body. Then get rid of your fucking bread addiction and stop eating them. Why would you knowingly put something in your body you know is bad for you?

            My plan is to start lifting heavy and eating primal again. Wait, what? You said you are primal and now you admit you aren't? Oh, I see. You know you have to cut out the bread but you need reassurance from a board full of people before you will do that. It's just a fucking excuse. Want to gain weight? Eat food your body wants....if your body wants to be say 110 lbs. it will be 110 lbs. if you let it. Stop preventing it by eating sprouted shit like that makes a fucking difference.

            Comment


            • #7
              okkiee..i think steaknchop had a bad day so we shall all ignore his swearing yes indeed...it can seem very hard to gain weight sometimes the best advice is to really go all out in your compound movements(with help) squat deadlift kill it as for food focus around massive post work out meals if i were you very heavy starch and of course do not eat any grains EVER the more and more i research you can have no symptoms whatsoever and you can still be coeliac and itll mess things up...stick with sweet potatoes, rice squash lots of veggies..up your fat content high on non training days and lower it on training days to accomodate the higher carb ratio..it seems to be working very well for people in terms of energy strength and pure muscle mass gaining ...obv. u need to fiddle with stuff too...you can also try kefir or goats milk...but i always recommend taking a lactase pill if u do in the end tho it is finding the foods that work for you(and not jumping back onto legumes and grains they will just cause issues down the line) itll probably take u awhile again now becuz u ate the crap stuff and whether u feel it or not ur system is probably messed up again...be patient and itll come to u

              Comment


              • #8
                I am able to handle goats milk dairy without lactase, even though I couldn't do it with cow's milk, so you may find you can - could be worth a shot anyways.

                Put lots of butter/coconut milk on everything
                Have smoothies made of coconut milk, or full fat yogurt if you can handle that
                Eat more meals, or have snacks available whenever you feel you may be hungry
                Get dark chocolate - most people seem to be able to eat a lot of that
                Mix up your primal starches with fats
                Eat until you are slightly too full (not just barely full enough)
                Keep on lifting. If you are anything like me, you prolly won't put on tons of actual pounds of muscle very quickly - I have a hard time gaining muscle even with a good lifting plan and good dietary support - in general slightly built women do have a hard time with it - but if you are patient, you can.
                Karin

                A joyful heart is good medicine

                He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

                Mmmmm. Real food is good.

                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Eat more. And if you're not sure if you're eating enough, count your calories for a while. You mentioned having kids as an excuse for not having time to do this. It literally takes less than 5 minutes a day if that to calculate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by primalTatoolover View Post
                    okkiee..i think steaknchop had a bad day so we shall all ignore his swearing yes indeed...it can seem very hard to gain weight sometimes the best advice is to really go all out in your compound movements(with help) squat deadlift kill it as for food focus around massive post work out meals if i were you very heavy starch and of course do not eat any grains EVER the more and more i research you can have no symptoms whatsoever and you can still be coeliac and itll mess things up...stick with sweet potatoes, rice squash lots of veggies..up your fat content high on non training days and lower it on training days to accomodate the higher carb ratio..it seems to be working very well for people in terms of energy strength and pure muscle mass gaining ...obv. u need to fiddle with stuff too...you can also try kefir or goats milk...but i always recommend taking a lactase pill if u do in the end tho it is finding the foods that work for you(and not jumping back onto legumes and grains they will just cause issues down the line) itll probably take u awhile again now becuz u ate the crap stuff and whether u feel it or not ur system is probably messed up again...be patient and itll come to u
                    I didn't.....I just hope she does the right thing because if she doesn't everyday will be a bad day for her.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by SteakNchop View Post
                      I decided to stick with the primal blueprint but the grains I'm eating aren't helping me gain weight.

                      This is turning more into a health food forum than a primal forum. Sprouted bread is health food. (though it's not healthy) Grok doesn't eat health food...he eats real food.



                      Oh, wait, I see....you know the grains aren't good for your body. Then get rid of your fucking bread addiction and stop eating them. Why would you knowingly put something in your body you know is bad for you?

                      My plan is to start lifting heavy and eating primal again. Wait, what? You said you are primal and now you admit you aren't? Oh, I see. You know you have to cut out the bread but you need reassurance from a board full of people before you will do that. It's just a fucking excuse. Want to gain weight? Eat food your body wants....if your body wants to be say 110 lbs. it will be 110 lbs. if you let it. Stop preventing it by eating sprouted shit like that makes a fucking difference.
                      Wow...sounds like this is a religious post in an information sharing forum. The OP (my wife) has been following the PB for close to a year with stalled weight gain and went back to eating the unprocessed foods that she ate when she was a healthy weight in the past as an experiment. She stated that her experiment failed and is seeking advice on gaining weight while following the PB.

                      Are you really as much of an intellectual lightweight as your posts suggest or merely a blind follower self-perverted doctrines that you like to punctuate with grammatically inept profanity?

                      So sad.....have a grand time masturbating to you deity of paleo/primal purity...whatever it may be.
                      Brad

                      late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Eat more, and when you eat more, eat more meat/eggs. Think 1 lb steaks or 6 eggs in a meal. Do heavy lifting, sets of 6-8 reps (you should be struggling to finish the last rep).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Did you/she lose lean muscle mass while on PB? I'm a bit confused. Wife says she wants to gain 17 lbs of lean muscle mass, husband says she was at a healthy weight in the past.

                          Reading that it sounds like OP is thinking of PB as a 'diet'... e.g. 'All these people are losing weight on PB (and I may have too....) so if I go off PB I will naturally gain weight.' But with almost 250 posts between them, I'm guessing they understand this is a lifestyle, not a diet....

                          Only advice I think I can give is to remember is that despite all the issues with insulin, protein calories used for tissue repair, etc., the laws of thermodynamics still apply. Ultimately, calories do count. Gaining lean muscle mass means working muscles adequately for an adaptive response, and then giving them adequate calories and materials to build.

                          In short, lift heavy things, eat, make sure you are getting enough protein. Simple, but not necessarily easy.

                          And I realize it's the innerwebz and anonymous and all that, but I just don't see the need for vitrol like that.
                          Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by VeloCity.X View Post
                            Did you/she lose lean muscle mass while on PB? I'm a bit confused. Wife says she wants to gain 17 lbs of lean muscle mass, husband says she was at a healthy weight in the past.

                            Reading that it sounds like OP is thinking of PB as a 'diet'... e.g. 'All these people are losing weight on PB (and I may have too....) so if I go off PB I will naturally gain weight.' But with almost 250 posts between them, I'm guessing they understand this is a lifestyle, not a diet....

                            Only advice I think I can give is to remember is that despite all the issues with insulin, protein calories used for tissue repair, etc., the laws of thermodynamics still apply. Ultimately, calories do count. Gaining lean muscle mass means working muscles adequately for an adaptive response, and then giving them adequate calories and materials to build.

                            In short, lift heavy things, eat, make sure you are getting enough protein. Simple, but not necessarily easy.

                            And I realize it's the innerwebz and anonymous and all that, but I just don't see the need for vitrol like that.
                            I completely understand that PB is a lifestyle which is what I love about it. I did lose about 20 lbs and muscle mass when I was eating strictly PB but I think some of that might have been attributed to hormones and breastfeeding. The only reason that I added grains back in was because I was at my ideal weight when eating grains pre- pregnancy. I was hoping that I could gain weight and then cut out the grains and maintain the weight on PB. I don't really know what the logic behind that plan was. My ultimate goal is to eat PB, lift heavy weights 2-3x a week, yoga 3-4x a week, get decent sleep, and cut out all grains, sugar, most dairy, and legumes.

                            I stopped coming on MDA in the past because of rude ignorant people and it looks like I might be doing that again
                            Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Also, you should be aiming for at least 1 gm of protein per lb of weight. For you that shouldn't be too hard : )
                              As a 200 lb man (lean), it's harder for me to do.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X