Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal indigestion

Hello all...

Did anyone else encounter stomach problems when starting to eat Primal? I have been encountering some really uncomfortable bouts of indigestion where I will have pain at the top of my stomach and a bit of nausea. Is this probably something that will pass when my body gets used to the new way I'm eating? Did anyone else go through something similar?

Thanks!!

I did!!!

I started taking probiotics and ALLL my digestive issues went away.

Comment

Yep, I was very nauseated for the first couple weeks and had extremely loose stools. It'll pass.
      For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Wow, that's sucks! I had the opposite. All of my digestive problems went away but for me I think it's specifically because I just simply should not be eating grains.

Have you added some new food to your diet? Maybe something you are intolerant of that you're now eating?

Comment

Is there any more on this? I have been having increasing problems with indigestion since going primal. I havn't completely given up dairy, but when I have a smoothie or something with dairy thats one of the few things that DOESNT cause bloating and stomach pain. Nuts are one big offender and I cant even eat a small plate of bacon and eggs with no cheese without issues...Im thinking my body does not like digesting fats and proteins. Ive been doing this for about 6 months now and Ive noticed a bit of stomach sensitivity in the past, but its almost constant now. Doctor just said I have IBS and to take benefiber. =/

Comment

Originally posted by tailypoe3 View Post
            Is there any more on this? I have been having increasing problems with indigestion since going primal. I havn't completely given up dairy, but when I have a smoothie or something with dairy thats one of the few things that DOESNT cause bloating and stomach pain. Nuts are one big offender and I cant even eat a small plate of bacon and eggs with no cheese without issues...Im thinking my body does not like digesting fats and proteins. Ive been doing this for about 6 months now and Ive noticed a bit of stomach sensitivity in the past, but its almost constant now. Doctor just said I have IBS and to take benefiber. =/
            not that it doesn't like digesting fats and proteins but that it is mediocre at it - lacks digestive enzymes, gallbladder issues etc. Fix the reason and fix the indigestion, nauseau.

Comment

I'm too lazy to search the message board. Could someone please explain both 'probiotics' mentioned in post #2 and how to 'fix the reason' as Sue described above? (Yes, I am relying on the largesse of others on this board...)

My indigestion/reflux has definitely improved while eating Primal, but it hasn't completely gone away. Wow would I be happier if it would go away!
              Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                not that it doesn't like digesting fats and proteins but that it is mediocre at it - lacks digestive enzymes, gallbladder issues etc. Fix the reason and fix the indigestion, nauseau.
                Ummm any further ideas on how to "fix the issue" then? I have papaya/pineapple chewables, take probiotics, and drink kombucha (not every day but a few times a week when funds allow). I have even tried drinking lemon in my water and I tried taking Betaine HCL in case it was a low stomach acid issue...that made some of the bloating go away but I seem to have more of an esophageal burning/reflux instead so Im not sure if stomach acid is the issue. A few months ago I received a urine test and I had a pH of 8.5 if that means anything..

Comment

I had the same problem, I was always eating very low fat/non fat for a long time, my system wsnt used to eating primal.
                  I found probiotics help also I drink coconut water kefir. Digestive enzymes capsules will assist too.
                  "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
                  started @400+pounds
                  CW: 191lbs 15%BF
                  PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
                  UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

How long did you take the digestive enzymes?

Comment

I often forgot to eat my vegtables, that's a big no no when it comes to primal.

I'm gonna go eat some carrots now that you mention it!
                      Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                      Follow me on google+
                      Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                      "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

I still take enzymes its because they are in my raw one mutlivitamins. But I took higher potency enzymes for 2 months, then I gradually let my system do the work itself. Just give it time. Do the whole30 for sure tho. Eat plenty of fermented food as well.
                        "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
                        started @400+pounds
                        CW: 191lbs 15%BF
                        PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
                        UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

Comment

Probiotics and fermented food - it's best to make your own in my opinion.

Kombucha is wicked expensive in the store, and dead simple and cheap to make at home. Search here for many threads on the topic, but short and sweet you can use your last store-bought bottle to start your own.

Kefir is awesome and easy to make at home once you get your hands on some grains. Then you're also ready to produce your own cheese and whey.

Yogurt, also easy to make at home.

Sauerkraut, also easy and delicious.

Those are my go-tos, but there's lots more! I haven't tried my own natural pickles yet because I'm not a monster fan of pickles, but I plan to try it sometime this year.
                          "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                          "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                          If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

Its kinda embarrassing how simple the solution is...and it makes sense considering my decrease in fiber intake from eating significantly less beans. Started taking super colon cleanse and have not had a problem since. =) For a change my doc was right with the benefiber idea!

Comment

Originally posted by tailypoe3 View Post
                              Its kinda embarrassing how simple the solution is...and it makes sense considering my decrease in fiber intake from eating significantly less beans. Started taking super colon cleanse and have not had a problem since. =) For a change my doc was right with the benefiber idea!
                              What about celery/carrots/sweet potato skins/etc?

Natures benefiber.

You should be eating lots of vegtables as per pb. Not avoiding them...
                              Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
                              Follow me on google+
                              Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
                              "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

Working...
                              X