Help! What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! What am I doing wrong?

Have been primal for about 6 weeks and having hard time figuring out why I have gained about 3 lbs. I know this may sound trivial but when you are small framed to begin with every pound is noticable. So, I started entering my food intake on sparkspeople and noticed that I am getting 50% of my daily calorie intake from fat. Is this too much?? I eat eggs, avacado, salmon, beef, bison, nuts and tons of veggies; occassional greek yogurt (is this allowed?) some goat cheese or cheddar cheese daily, very little dairy, fruit and no sugar or grains. My daily calorie intake is approx 1500-1600. I am a fairly active 37 yr old mom of 3 young kids, I am a yoga and pilates instructor/personal trainer. I weight train 2x a week and have cut back on my cardio due to overuse injury. I swim, jump rope or do plyos as a sprint workout 1x a week. I get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. I am 5'3" and weigh 108lbs....I feel and function my best at 105ibs. Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Too much fat?? Not enough total calories? Do I need more carbs? Totally frustrated!!! Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!!

What kind of diet were you eating before to maintain your weight?

Comment

50% calories by fat is not too much. Nuts and dairy are considered prime suspects for impeding weight loss, so you may want to drop those for a while. Especially the cheese and nuts.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

...muscle gain from a sudden gain in protein consumption?
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Experiment with a few things, one at a time, to see what will work. I dropped regular nut consumption and resumed weight loss within days. Dairy is also off-limits (except kefir for some reason) as it seems even lactose-free stuff messes with my nasal congestion. Otherwise, your diet looks pretty good. If anything, you could try eating more as a variable, but that's not always it. Even just adding extra scoops of fat to dinner can help.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by balanced View Post
            Have been primal for about 6 weeks and having hard time figuring out why I have gained about 3 lbs. I know this may sound trivial but when you are small framed to begin with every pound is noticable. So, I started entering my food intake on sparkspeople and noticed that I am getting 50% of my daily calorie intake from fat. Is this too much?? I eat eggs, avacado, salmon, beef, bison, nuts and tons of veggies; occassional greek yogurt (is this allowed?) some goat cheese or cheddar cheese daily, very little dairy, fruit and no sugar or grains. My daily calorie intake is approx 1500-1600. I am a fairly active 37 yr old mom of 3 young kids, I am a yoga and pilates instructor/personal trainer. I weight train 2x a week and have cut back on my cardio due to overuse injury. I swim, jump rope or do plyos as a sprint workout 1x a week. I get 7-9 hours of sleep daily. I am 5'3" and weigh 108lbs....I feel and function my best at 105ibs. Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Too much fat?? Not enough total calories? Do I need more carbs? Totally frustrated!!! Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!!
            Stressing out about nothing. You are at a healthy weight. Even on the slim side of healthy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
              50% calories by fat is not too much. Nuts and dairy are considered prime suspects for impeding weight loss, so you may want to drop those for a while. Especially the cheese and nuts.
              Thanks for this suggestion. Will try to cut out nuts and dairy (ouch!!)....starting to feel deprived already! Is greek yogurt okay? I love the huge serving of protien it gives me but it is considered dairy. Can you suggest other great sources of protien for me that arent so loaded with fat? I've been told protien shakes....don't think Grok was mixing up protien cocktails in his cave. How bout fat?? Can you eat too much where you may see a weight increase.....afterall a calorie is a calorie?! How many grams of protien should I aim for each day?
              Okay, enough questions right?!

Comment

Originally posted by balanced View Post
                Is this a snark? 3 pounds? Donít eat tomorrow and workout enough to sweat. Youíll be back down by Sunday.

Comment

Snark? I realize 3lbs may be trivial to most however I don't want to continue on this path of weight gain since I have been making every effort to maintain a strict PB diet.....that is my frustration. Can you help with any of the other questions I posted above to jammies?

Comment

I can gain and lose about eight pounds in a day. Don't even think about worrying about 3 pounds. The worrying will cause you to gain more weight than the reality. You are getting healthier. Get used to it and calm down.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

5'3 108lbs sounds pretty fit to me. Maybe your body found a healthy weight?

Btw most guys don't like those runway models they are way too skinny!
                      Last edited by Freedish; 09-30-2011, 05:48 PM.

Comment

One thing a lot of new people have trouble with - Do not worry about eating too much fat. Eating fat is not what makes you gain fat. You need fat so you will feel full, and so you will get enough fat-soluble vitamins. Also, it is next to impossible to overeat on fat the way most people can with carbs.

Try dropping the nuts first and see what happens?

Comment

I understand why people are saying that worrying about 3 pounds is ridiculous. But as the OP mentioned, when you're short and don't weigh a lot to begin with, even a few pounds can be uncomfortable. I'm 5'2. 2-3 pounds of real fat gain shows in my face immediately and changes the way my pants fit. It's noticeable to others and makes me feel awkward. So I understand why she's unhappy about it. I would be.

To the OP- as a petite woman you might want to keep an eye on your calories to make sure that, having added more sources of fat (which is incredibly calorically dense) into your diet, you haven't inadvertently started consuming hundreds of extra calories. Try scaling back nuts (which aren't very good for you anyway) and dairy, and don't add tons of fat to your meals. Fat isn't bad for you but contrary to what some people here will tell you, it sure as hell can be stored as body fat.

Comment

Are you sure that your calorie count is correct? I haven't calculated out your caloric needs or anything, but even at 100 pounds with all that activity, it seems like your maintenance calories would be higher than what you listed. Kind of hard to gain weight whether it be fat or muscle when you burn more than you consume.

Also, who cares if Grok wasn't mixing up protein shakes in a cave somewhere? I doubt he stored food in a refrigerator or posted questions on internet forums either.
                            Last edited by UnsafeAtAnySpd; 09-30-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Outside of yiur weight, how do you actually feel and look compared to before?

Comment

Working...
                              X